Txplicit

Placement below water line

Txplicit

Hey guys.  I'm new to the reefing game and am doing some final prelim checks and balances in my cycling 29g BC AIO (cycling since july 23):

*Cover off running Mars Aqua 11" from water surface

*Hydor nano skim in chamber 1, intank media (floss/carbon/phosban/seachem matrix) AND

*intank Refugium with broken up LR and chaeto with algae green led light on it from back glass wall in 2nd chamber

*upgraded Rio 425 (if i recall right) with heater linked to external temp controller in 3rd chamber

*Return nozzle spliced into Y 1/2" loc line to help control flow and Hydor nano to further help current

My question is how high can i aquascape to effectively use the LR platform for placing corals (most likely sps since they prefer higher flow and light)?  I mean how much below the water line is a safe bet?

Thanks in advance reefers!

• Like 1

Natereef

You can literally put your rocks as high as you want them to be. You just have to account for what corals are you gonna be putting near the top and how much they are going to grow. I think a good rule is if you give it around 5-6 inches of space I think is pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

seabass

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com 

Sounds like you've done a bit of research going in to this.  Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

• Thanks 1

Txplicit

Thanks seabass. I'm still curious as to how high up I should put my rocks so it doesn't cause spa coral burning or bleaching and still allow corals to grow underwater.  Oh and now I have a little  phosphate spike with brown and hair algae mini bloom.  Can't change water yet, removed added chemipure elite to get it down.  I'll WC after cycle.

seabass

The Mars Aqua is dimmable, so you should be alright there.  Eleven inches above the waterline isn't uncommon.  You could even move it up or down depending on light spill.

The distance from the top of the rock to the water's surface is whatever you wish.  You want to provide room for fish to swim and for corals to grow.  Obviously you wouldn't need as much room for zoanthids as a coral with more height.  Your aquascape might help determine coral placement.

Then adjust the light intensity as your corals demand.  A PAR meter can assist, but you can often observe the effects of too much or too little light (and then adjust accordingly).

• Thanks 1

Txplicit

Think my zoas will go low in rockscape. Top will be for montiporas and the like that need more flow and light.  Wanted to put bird's nest but I think they grow too tall to be up there.