SaltCritters.com

Help with starting Dwarf Seahorse

Tnwolf

Hello.

I am new here and have several questions on starting first dwarf tank. I plan on stretching this out around 6-9 months before getting dwarves.

Size: 5 gal

Substrate: bare

Filter: sponge 

Number: 3 pairs

Cycle: live rock. I know this is VERY discouraged but I am getting from friend and trust completely.

Macro: Dragon breath and 1 more maybe Caulerpa.

Tank mate (cuc only): couple types of snails and a couple of mini brittle stars.

Ok. So here os my plan. Cycle 5 to 8 weeks. Add macro and let start adjusting to bioload for a couple months. Add cuc for a couple of months and add brine for nutrients plus to ensure no nasties may pop up. 

Definitely no coral but maybe a feather duster with the algae.

1. Does anyone have any issues with this idea that I am miising?

2. I would like two variety of snails like a nassarius vibex but what would be another for barebottom?

3. I am been told mini brittle stars are fine but is this true?

4. I am thinking of adding a feathe duster as well. Any recommendations on that?

Sorry for rambling but wanted to be as specific as possible.

Oh, and feeding with decap enriched bbs and phyto for feather duster.

Well thats all. What do you guys think because I have been researching for 2yrs and want to get some expert final opinions before I start. 

Thanks 

Richard

• Like 1

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

How exciting!  @vlangel might be able to check out your plans for you.  She has kept seahorses and has planned a dwarf seahorse tank before.  I believe there are others, but I'm drawing a blank right now.

I know that a number of our members would be very interested in your tank.  Although, there currently aren't that many seahorse tanks on the site.  It would be a welcomed addition.

• Like 1

Thank you @seabass. I am glad to be here and will definately try contacting @vlangel for mor input. I have talked with a few other people on other sites as well and decided to change it up. I thinknI am running too much risk of introducing droids to the tank so I will dose rocks and macro will panacur. That means no featherduster or stars😞. I think the health in the long run outways the sacrife though. So for cuc it would be nassarius, nerite, and sexy shrimp. I have heard a 1 pair of dwarf pipes also do well with this setup so I may add a pair for contrast. Macros still be the same plus maybe an Ogo too. How about this setup?

1 hour ago, Tnwolf said:

How about this setup?

Unfortunately, I've never researched keeping seahorses (or pipes), so I'm not the best person to respond.  I know Dawn was planning to keep dwarf seahorses for the currently running Nano-Reef competition.  However, timing just didn't work out.  Here's her thread:  https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404867-lost-ponies-of-atlantis-pico/

Also, here's a search of Nano-Reef threads discussing dwarf seahorses: https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Anano-reef.com+dwarf+seahorses&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=site%3Anano-reef.com+dwarf+seahorses&sc=1-34&sk=&cvid=530F134B81FE47EEA87B1DE9E8EDCBBC

I was thinking that Seahorse.org was one of the better dedicated sites for information on ponies.  But there is certainly interest in them here too; I sure hope you start a journal thread for your tank here on Nano-Reef.

Thanks and I definately will start a journal to let everyone know. Very excited. Sadly timing is not right to start project so wont start til hopefully 6months. Just trying to hammer down thought and opinions before hand. Thanks again

Richard

1 hour ago, Tnwolf said:

Just trying to hammer down thought and opinions before hand.

I like that.  Dawn must be unavailable, she's typically fairly quick to respond.  But it sounds like you have a bit of time. :wink:  I'm looking forward to seeing your little ponies, and maybe learning more about keeping them in the process.

• Like 1