Coral Vue Hydros

First Pico Reef

zoafan627

Hello all, 

I’m about to set up my first pico and I want to do around 2-3 gallons. I hopefully want only one frag of Zola’s that will propagate over the rock and a cuc. Nothing too crazy, I have kept many freshwater tanks, dart frogs and one reef. But being in college I am wanting something for my desk that I can focus on yet still fits the requirements for my apartment. So my question is what should I use for flow and lighting. I have a nicrew light from amazon that is cheap but has decent spectrum of color but I doubt it’s strong enough and hope to pick up something else light wise as well. 

• Like 1

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

You could get an all in one style tank, with built-in filtration chambers.  The return pump would supply flow, which could be supplemented with a small pico powerhead.

Nano-Reef has also recently had a pico contest where people used creative containers as their tanks:

Currently, we are in the middle of a standard 2.5 gallon tank contest:

Maybe you can get some ideas from these contests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An hob on a pico is good for not only media and hiding a heater but it's a good source for water flow.

I use an asta 20 on my pico but I liked the Abi tuna blue better. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, seabass said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

You could get an all in one style tank, with built-in filtration chambers.  The return pump would supply flow, which could be supplemented with a small pico powerhead.

Nano-Reef has also recently had a pico contest where people used creative containers as their tanks:

Currently, we are in the middle of a standard 2.5 gallon tank contest:

Maybe you can get some ideas from these contests.

I would like an invertebrate to add movement other than the CUC would any shrimp be fine in this size? I had a coral banded shrimp before but obviously they get way too big, also I may get a 5.5 gallon seeing the tanks are about the same price but I am still in the planning phase

You could probably do a cleaner shrimp, but many people stick to sexies.

14 minutes ago, zoafan627 said:

I may get a 5.5 gallon seeing the tanks are about the same price

It would give you some more livestock options; and probably with the same light choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome!

You wouldn't happen to be close to Dallas Texas would you?  I have two (2) AGA 5.5 gallons, heaters and even some never used sand I would part ways for not that much.  I upgraded for a 9.7 gallon this summer and am happy to see these items to go to good use!  

I still am using a HOB filter in my new tank (though I got a bigger one) for the reasons listed above: easy to add flow, not too expensive, good place for heater, etc.  You can always upgrade later on down the road and have the HOB on hand for another project.  There are so many great brands/manufacturers out there to choose from nowadays as well.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Superdave said:

Welcome!

You wouldn't happen to be close to Dallas Texas would you?  I have two (2) AGA 5.5 gallons, heaters and even some never used sand I would part ways for not that much.  I upgraded for a 9.7 gallon this summer and am happy to see these items to go to good use!  

I still am using a HOB filter in my new tank (though I got a bigger one) for the reasons listed above: easy to add flow, not too expensive, good place for heater, etc.  You can always upgrade later on down the road and have the HOB on hand for another project.  There are so many great brands/manufacturers out there to choose from nowadays as well.  

Ah I wish! I am at the university of Kentucky though.

Long shot I knew..

The 5.5 is a good option though; affordable and people like me sometimes have them lying around not in use. I have mine set up for 15 years!  I found it to be perfect size as I could easily afford to do water changes and I didn't need to sink a ton of cash into the filtration or light.  Set mine up when I was in grad school, so I get the vibe of needing to keep the costs down.  

I still have a classified posting for heater if you are interested:

3 minutes ago, Superdave said:

Long shot I knew..

The 5.5 is a good option though; affordable and people like me sometimes have them lying around not in use. I have mine set up for 15 years!  I found it to be perfect size as I could easily afford to do water changes and I didn't need to sink a ton of cash into the filtration or light.  Set mine up when I was in grad school, so I get the vibe of needing to keep the costs down.  

I still have a classified posting for heater if you are interested:

Sure, PM me please. Also any pics of the 5.5s running?

I used to have a ton of pics on my phone, but clearly them off.  If you dig super deep in my content, there are some pictures here and there but I never did an aquarium journal.  For a while, I nearly had HALF the tank covered in GSP!  Had to start throwing away what frags LFS or people wouldn't buy.  For whatever reason though, it has slowly dwindled and is nearly gone.  Might invest in a few piece as it one of the cheaper frags.  Mostly all I have now is mushrooms and some polpys and a kenya tree.  Love what I have and a few of my mushrooms are nearly palm size when fully open.  

Here is documentation I did when I switched over tanks:  

Here are a few shots from last couple of days/weeks.  Need to do an up to date, full tank shot.  

IMG_7041.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7186.jpg

• Like 2