Pod Your Reef

ID Required on Red Macroalgae

Ratvan

Hello Everyone,

So I noticed this growing on some of my rock work a couple of days ago, wondered what type of Macroalgae it is

Here it is starting to grow on the rocks

20190808_132858.thumb.jpg.6cbb14cd34fe68000b7f4e825b52a92a.jpg

And here is the strand that seems to make more "bubbles" for lack of a better word

20190808_132911.thumb.jpg.9f6ce6772ee032c6872a39e8cf812551.jpg20190808_132950.thumb.jpg.f77984dd763803d92ac7a543bbc38760.jpg

Just now, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

No clue what it is, but it's pretty awesome :smilie:. How long has it been growing??

Well "the strand" came in on the live rock that a mushroom was mounted on back in June (2019.06.26) since then it has added a couple of bubbles. Not noticed the new growth until today and noticed that the rock is covered in it.... I like it, just do not know what it is

Red version of the Grape Caulerpa? lol 

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Well "the strand" came in on the live rock that a mushroom was mounted on back in June (2019.06.26) since then it has added a couple of bubbles. Not noticed the new growth until today and noticed that the rock is covered in it.... I like it, just do not know what it is

Red version of the Grape Caulerpa? lol 

Hmm, yeah maybe. I looked up a pic and it's similar looking. Free macro is always good. :happydance:

• Like 1

I've been looking at red macros, and botryocladia looks the most similar to what you have. Probably wrong, but it's hard to tell what growth pattern yours is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hmm, yeah maybe. I looked up a pic and it's similar looking. Free macro is always good. :happydance:

8 minutes ago, Joevember said:

I've been looking at red macros, and botryocladia looks the most similar to what you have. Probably wrong, but it's hard to tell what its growth pattern is.

The algae looks similar to a couple but the growth patterns are different. I'll keep an eye on it and post any changes

@johnmaloney any idea's on this one?

• Like 1

Might have found it after trawling the Internets. Well narrowed down to a Genus maybe?

Botryocladia Skottsbergii/Red Bubble Algae??

DzTQ-sRVsAAcvq-.thumb.jpg.923d3e3633c04a325e57c3f48f7335d8.jpg

Botryocladia Pseudodichtoma/Red Balloon Algae - Looks more like this I think

Untitled.jpg.8ddeb25f4766a90cc33dfdc65ad6f44e.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely looks like some kind of Botryocladia to me. There are a lot of different growth patterns displayed by different species in that genus, so it can be hard to get a species-level ID. I had a few little strands that looked just like that come in on my live rock many months ago. Now it looks like this:

IMG_0361.thumb.JPG.b176aed05f569a4c33f0c50ccb3cede0.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
5 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Definitely looks like some kind of Botryocladia to me. There are a lot of different growth patterns displayed by different species in that genus, so it can be hard to get a species-level ID. I had a few little strands that looked just like that come in on my live rock many months ago. Now it looks like this:

IMG_0361.thumb.JPG.b176aed05f569a4c33f0c50ccb3cede0.JPG

Wow that's pretty cool. Well looks like I have to keep my fingers crossed then for something non invasive....... or bung it in a pest pico lol

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Wow that's pretty cool. Well looks like I have to keep my fingers crossed then for something non invasive....... or bung it in a pest pico lol

Botryocladia grows pretty fast for a red macro, but I wouldn't call it invasive. It's pretty easy to remove if it comes down to that, and it's also very palatable to a variety of herbivores. Emerald crabs or other inverts that like fleshy algae will probably eat it up. Most species look really good though! As hitchhikers go I think that's a pretty good one to have. 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1