SaltCritters.com

START OF DINOS?! 😭 PLZ HELP!

CodyReedReefs

CodyReedReefs

Hey guys!! I got home today and noticed this brown seaweed looking string from this little piece of rock on the bottom. Praying this isn't dinos the tank is only about a month old I have 4 small fish and two snails. Started it with a fishless cycle with live rock & sand. (Tank was fully cycled before adding livestock)

It's stock biocube 32 LEDs with a intank media basket and the intank fuge. I'm running filterfloss on top, perogen, and chemi pure blue on bottom. In the fuge I have Cheato with fuge light which seems to be growing well. Running also a skimmer in the back which is collecting quite a bit and have a chiller keeping the tank at 79 at all times. The brown strings seem to have no bubbles on them and seem to be thicker kinda like seaweed so I'm hoping it's not dino. Tested my water yesterday and had a reading of 0 ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 nitrates PH is 8.0 with phosphate at 0.25 which I ordered a bag of Chemi pure elite in hopes of that dropping down to help with the brown algae and green algae on the glass which is super hard to remove I have to use a metal scraper to get it off. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie so I'm sure I'm making mistakes just want to correct before it gets worse. 

20190807_195415.jpg

20190807_195414.jpg

20190807_195411.jpg

1565233711354664997242759274242.jpg

15652337714785690073162738433745.jpg

I don't see any dino...the tank looks fine to me.

Don't chase 0s hardcore or you will end up with dino from over filtration. 

Algae on the glass is normal.

Is your Duncan always that unhappy looking?

• Like 2
CodyReedReefs

@Tamberavlol well that's a relief kinda, and no I was blowing of the rocks and he closed up. Yea you're right I'm kinda crazy when it comes to water conditions. Shall I skip a water change this week? I'm currently still at 0 with everything but the phosphate. I have a bag of Chemi pure elite should i wait on putting in? Sorry for all the questions.

Elite has such little phosphate remover in it...prob exhaust quickly. You don't really need blue and elite in there together.

Most likely your PO4 is high because there's no Nitrate. Can't naturally bring PO4 down without it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

@CodyReedReefswould be nice if there was a way for you to swap tank water with @scrappy34 who's tank is 'flicted with the reverse condition of yours – excess nitrates and no phosphates.  😄 

I may have phosphates, I just need to get a new test kit as I am currently out

0 of nitrates or phos is worse than having them. Perfect conditions for dino 

My personal experience in my tanks

When my nitrates hit 10 with low to no phos, I got algae issues.

Moderate nitrates and high phos- no algae issues.

High phos has caused me no issues.

My 10g phos is 0.27😮 no algae issues(I have done multiple waterchanges in a week, used phosguard, did large waterchanges, no change in this tank.  phos is just high and I don't use phyto, coral foods)

My 25g phos is 0.11....no algae issues

Your tank is new, you will have various experiences with algaes. Try to keep it simple and not overdo things like media.

• Like 3

Just to help you out and possibly save a few bucks too, there really is no need to run Purogen and Chemi-Blue together as Chemi-Blue has Purigen in it (or it could be Chemi-Blue elite as per their own web site. I can't remember which without looking it up again and I am to lazy to do it now lol). The advantage of Purigen is that it is rechargeable where Chemi-Blue is not. What I do which may or may not be completely correct or even helpful in your case. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. I run in my media basket filter floss in slot 1, Purigen in slot 2, and Phosguard  in slot 3. Since i have a huge HOB filter I just made my own media tray based on the direction of flow coming from the tank. I only use the Phosguard if I really need to and for a couple of days since it needs to be in a high flow area to constantly be moving to prevent clumping.