inTank Media Baskets

Lighting question

KimmyB75

So here is a question for those of you who may be a bit tech inclined. This is an idea I came across this evening while brainstorming with a friend while cutting a piece of my GSP and Zoa frag for her. Had no idea what I even had till her eves lit up like a 5yo on Christmas morning and Santa had came through with every thing on the wish list lol. So I have this light sitting in my craft/tank room closet for the greenhouse that never got purchased. I never had planned to use the light because I did not have a clue where to even find an adapter to make the plug work. Well now I know what it is because it is an HPS bulb and requires a special power supply. I bought a whole huge lot of planting supplies from someone who's father was being sent to a nursing home and would not need it anymore. He didn't know what all it was for so I bought the whole lot, several lights included for like $30 or so. By time I realized there was no adapter for this light(he did show me it worked before I left) I couldn't reach him. No adapter so it has sat hanging in the closet for oh, about a year or more now lol. 

My question is, since it is a single end that the bulb screws on, and the power supply actually unscrews from the  ballast, is it possible to just change the bulb to a medal Halide and switch out the power supply for that? The darn power supply for this thing by it self is almost $200!! The bulb, after researching the company that makes them is a 1000w light if that helps. I am sure it would work great, but It would get hella hot, my power bill would probably go through the roof, and it may cook that little 40B tank.

HPS light.jpg

HPS plug.jpg

I really don't know about High Pressure Sodium setups.  Does it even have a usable spectrum for anything besides a macroalgae refugium? :unsure:

I have no idea about a conversion, but wouldn't think it'd be worth it.  I don't believe the bulb is that valuable.  If you'd like to go metal halide, then just do that (and get a proper reef bulb with the spectrum and power you need).

2 hours ago, seabass said:

I really don't know about High Pressure Sodium setups.  Does it even have a usable spectrum for anything besides a macroalgae refugium? :unsure:

I have no idea about a conversion, but wouldn't think it'd be worth it.  I don't believe the bulb is that valuable.  If you'd like to go metal halide, then just do that (and get a proper reef bulb with the spectrum and power you need).

That was what I was thinking, but I would like to use the ballast since it is a pretty nice 18" that would really look good over my 40B.  went to the website. That bulb pictured new was only about $60 but was pretty decent in blue/violet spectrum for plants, but not in reefs. If I remember correctly it was around 350mn spectrum. The ballast ran less than $140 (I would have to go back to the web site to double check that price again so don't quote me on it ) I think since I don't have much to do today and the troll child is in school that a good project would be for me to do a cost analyst of switching from LED to Halide, the cost in power usage vs benefit to the reef i hope to one day have, and IF it is possible/ worth it to keep the ballast and convert. Thank you for always coming through!!!

mitten_reef

unless it's really something you WANT and know what you're expecting, it's not worth it, especially on the energy costs down the road.  Direct costs of this alone will be about 10 times more than an LED alternative option - PLUS - the heat produced by it will be similar to running your hair dryer 7-8 hours a day, think of the AC costs on top. 

Most modern LED fixtures provide both controllability (both scheduling and color-tuning) and energy efficiency.  I'd spend the day researching the LED that would fit your budget instead.  "top of the line budget" option for a 40 breeder would be two AI Prime HD, which runs about 45-50 W each - and usually most people don't even max out its power draw.  If you're still OK with on/off only, then your option expands to a lot of the chinese black boxes on amazon.  There are always gently-used LED for sale on NR classified and other classified marketplaces.    

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

unless it's really something you WANT and know what you're expecting, it's not worth it, especially on the energy costs down the road.  Direct costs of this alone will be about 10 times more than an LED alternative option - PLUS - the heat produced by it will be similar to running your hair dryer 7-8 hours a day, think of the AC costs on top. 

Most modern LED fixtures provide both controllability (both scheduling and color-tuning) and energy efficiency.  I'd spend the day researching the LED that would fit your budget instead.  "top of the line budget" option for a 40 breeder would be two AI Prime HD, which runs about 45-50 W each - and usually most people don't even max out its power draw.  If you're still OK with on/off only, then your option expands to a lot of the chinese black boxes on amazon.  There are always gently-used LED for sale on NR classified and other classified marketplaces.    

I think I am actually going to stick with my LED's. I hate being hot. My hubby and I both work in the heat in SE Georgia and the last thing we want to do is come home and be hot. Been looking into adding a second set of LED to the ones I already have. I like the AI Prime, but am having really good luck with my Marine Current USA with Current Ramp Timer Pro. May upgrade it to the Current Loop system since it has the ability to wi-fi to my home network to base lights on current weather conditions. Since I live on the east coast, that would be pretty cool, I think. With the Loop system, I can run up to 4 sets of lights, and control up to either 2 or 4 wave makers. Plus you can control it from a phone app or a remote controller. The Complete system to fit my tank, wave maker, and tank mounting brackets is maybe $400. I can also buy each piece separately as I go for a lot cheeper since I don't need wave makers right now or mounting brackets. Just the timer and another light bar will run about $150 maybe less if its a used one on Amazon.

On 8/4/2019 at 9:31 PM, KimmyB75 said:

HPS plug.jpg

You can see connectors like that here:

https://hamiltontechnology.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=25_113

I would sell that on craigslist or ebay and forget about it myself, unless you think you'll use it for plants.

But Hamilton has all the parts you'd need if you really want to convert it to a different wattage and/or bulb type.  Call them for help though!! 😉