Cultivated Reef

is goop bad?

me03

This issue has been bouncing around for a while now. Is goop good or bad. Does anyone know that it will kill you reef or not? Once it is cured and flushed, will it leach chemicals that will harm my reef? If so what chemical?

I put my AC500 fuge together with it 5 months ago and everything in my tank is fine. I would think if something was going to happened it would have already. I used the marine goop.

thanks reefwant2b. I'm trying to get several people to respond. to ease my mind a bit. When you put yours together did the goop have an advisory on it that it was not safe for aquarium use?

I used the household goop to hold in the baffle on mine. Came in a grey tube. No problems here either. The tube does say not for aquarium use and something about not using on food containers. I have used it many times on my FW tank stuff, no problems in 8 years there. 4 months on my nano....no probs

same hear... but i remember reading someone saying it wasn't safe, but they didn't say that they had any probs personally

thanks everyone. To my horror, after using the goop, I found a thread suggesting there could be problems. From what I've found, the u.s. version is the same formula that's been used for years here. The stuff cures fully in 3 days from what i've heard.

Archived