ReefCleaners.org

🧜🏼‍♀️34 gal Solana Cube Journal 8/19🐡-Photo Updates

Juno

My little reef tank is slooooooowly getting more livestock. After a couple weeks with Pollack, our tail spot blenny, we added Picasso the fire fish and Van Gogh the serpent starfish. We had a sexy shrimp for a little over a week, but not long after I saw him dancing around the mouth of a new rock flower anemone, he seems to have disappeared. I did get a rock flower anemone this week and after 5 minutes in the spot where I placed him, he moved into a crevice and refuses to come out.  

99E9B33D-3032-4FEA-BDE5-592CE8C7A0ED.jpeg

9B7FD480-A8F0-44EF-936D-5DDAFEE5BD4E.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m freaking out. Woke up to scum bubbles in my tank this morning. Why would that happen all of a sudden? They’re bright white with no brown scuzz on them, but I just can’t figure out why they’d be here at all! 

C47B178F-0F1E-4D89-A435-D0D257D5D47F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Juno said:

I’m freaking out. Woke up to scum bubbles in my tank this morning. Why would that happen all of a sudden? They’re bright white with no brown scuzz on them, but I just can’t figure out why they’d be here at all! 

Could be a number of things. Is it just in your back chambers there or does it appear in your display as well? Any other changes you notice in water quality, like cloudy water or scum floating around or anything like that?

The bubbles went away after about a week of being there. One day they looked a little scummy. I’ve tested and Ph is 8.2, ammonia is 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. 

Im also not seeing the coral growth I’d like. No one is making new heads, nothing is branching out. What should I test for to determine if I need to start dosing? 

My trumpet pet used to be all puffy and pretty but for the last 7-10 days, it’s all pulled back. I got this new red coral for $10. I don’t even know what it is but I’m hoping I can bring it back. He said it was “like an acan but bigger” and that if the one head were in tact, it’s be $100 coral. Who knows. I just want everything back to looking healthy and the mystery bubbles to stay gone. 

4C0A2836-22C7-43A7-8D98-40B02FA6348C.jpeg

4F00557C-83BB-4078-948D-E772168C95DB.jpeg

I’ve lowered my whites and switched to Karen’s light schedule. Within an hour, the anemone that I bought 2 weeks ago and haven’t seen since placing it in the tank, is coming out. Maybe that’ll help my trumpet too. 

5F1C33DD-995F-413E-8779-03BBB20F934E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Everything is moving along so nicely. I’ll post pics tomorrow when the lights are back on. We have a nice system going at this point. 

I do have some hitch hikers. There’s a fast little thing that looks like a snail without a shell or a pill bug, really. He’s all black with a white spot and he’s zippy. And I have a lot of pineapple sponges. I love all the unexpected hitchhikers, really. ❤️

• Like 2

Everything is going well with the only exception being that my water is a little “too clean” and so I’ve got hefty diatoms. The mangroves are growing, the corals are slowly growing. I do t have a ton of money to throw at this so my frags are all tiny. Here’s some photos:

92C77BB1-BAEE-4E3F-A090-C5E35AC2A288.jpeg

900EECF3-2841-4EFC-9E81-03D10B884D63.jpeg

26838404-1D4C-46CC-9E37-850FA50F64DB.jpeg

2CD83D73-35DF-4991-9C78-556F3BB36CD4.jpeg

D212AF4D-530C-4DD5-AD2F-EA3E75D213BC.jpeg

• Like 3

It looks great you still have plenty of spaces for coral in the future.  I started my pico tank with tiny frags 1-3 polyps and single riccs and I have already had to frag and remove some of them because of over growth.  You have a great start set back and enjoy it.  I don't plan on buying anymore frags for either of my tanks for a while.

• Like 1

That’s so awesome. I do live my zoas and I scored the red/pink bowerbanki for $10 because it was really banged up and showing a lot of skeleton. It’s really come back. I like the corals I have, as cheap as they are, and think once they really start filling in, it’ll all come together. I want to start getting some acros to add in toward the top. 

• Like 3
On 10/27/2019 at 6:37 AM, Juno said:

That’s so awesome. I do live my zoas and I scored the red/pink bowerbanki for $10 because it was really banged up and showing a lot of skeleton. It’s really come back. I like the corals I have, as cheap as they are, and think once they really start filling in, it’ll all come together. I want to start getting some acros to add in toward the top. 

Watching everything grow in and thrive is the best part of the hobby, so I think your head is definitely in the right place here. It's super easy to get ahead of yourself and jam too many corals into your tank without leaving enough space for all of them to grow. I'm definitely guilty of this (I recently had to pull some rocks out of my tank to chisel off some Ricordea that were stinging the hell out of all their neighbors), so take it from me! 😅

You've got a beautiful tank and I'm sure it's only going to get better from here. Also, is that a feather duster worm down at the bottom right?

On 11/3/2019 at 10:16 AM, Juno said:

I just swung in to the new World Wide Coral. The sheer magnitude of this place is overwhelming. 

7603F4B5-F52C-4B2C-9CD8-9761A6543F95.jpeg

725CE281-6FAD-473C-BFDA-68198CBC1710.jpeg

68BD24AA-89E8-43D6-AE21-2B95BD7F16B2.jpeg

B0EF9237-2F74-41B5-B69A-D69491E5E7A0.jpeg

Insane! It looks like a wholesaler, expect with healthier livestock. 😅 Did you get anything for your tank while you were there!?

• Like 1

Did a water change today. I waited 3 weeks between because of time constraints and bc everyone who tests it tells me it’s “too clean” and that’s why I have diatoms. It was looking rough and was making me crazy so I finally got around to it today. 

4AE63853-905E-4E8D-B748-F6EE29FB92B0.jpeg

• Like 1

If I were to guess, not enough light intensity. It could also be high nitrates. 3 weeks is kind of a while between WCs - not too long, but not a short duration either - though there's really not enough funk elsewhere to suggest so. Did you watch alk and nitrates by chance? What is your current feeding routine?

7 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

If I were to guess, not enough light intensity. It could also be high nitrates. 3 weeks is kind of a while between WCs - not too long, but not a short duration either - though there's really not enough funk elsewhere to suggest so. Did you watch alk and nitrates by chance? What is your current feeding routine?

It must be the lights. My water quality is perfect. Too perfect, really. I test regularly and once a month I have the store cross test and they consistently tell me it’s “too clean”. I feed once a day and just enough. 

I did lower my lights lights a while back because my bowerbanki and candy corn were looking mad. Lowering the lights brought them back out, fluffy and happy, but maybe I need to raise the intensity a little. I’m not entirely sure how to do that. I run a downloaded schedule. Would it just be my whites I’d need to raise, or others as well?

• Like 1