Top Shelf Aquatics

Confessions of reefing...

xM3THODx

4 hours ago, RemoGaggi said:

The only test kit I have is an API Saltwater test kit - Ammonia, PH, Nitrite, Nitrate.  And I couldn't tell you the last time I tested anything.  I do test my salinity weekly and water change weekly.  Does that make up for the lack of testing?

If your'e gonna test, salinity is a good one.

21 hours ago, Clown79 said:

2. I don't use ato's or dosers- everything manual. I prefer to keep things simple, less chance for failure of equipment 

11 hours ago, Humblefish said:

I still do everything manually... top off, dosing, etc. Too many stories out there about an ATO overflowing a sump or reactor going haywire.

Love it!!

You may appreciate this:  

I did stay all-manual for the first year or two until a buddy gave me a used Ultralife ATO....which I used, but didn't trust for anything.

So I kept the reservoir small and hooked a splitter up to the ATO's controlled outlet.   

I put a lamp like this on it along with the ATO pump...

image.png.90a77246eb0b29545dc1b88d2950a9c6.png

...so there'd be an unmissable light-up visual every time the thing ran.

It only took about several years of running it that way without a single hiccup for me to disconnect the lamp....which was there so long that the bottom rusted out.  🤒

I'm glad I automated ATO, but the rest doesn't need to be any fancier than lamp timers for a system to function.

I admit I did use a Reefkeeper Lite mostly as a heater controller for a long time as someone else mentioned.  

I had plans to build a dosing system to use a few of its outlets, but then the el-cheapo dosers came on the market making that a slight waste of effort.  (I did build a couple of single dosers.)

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
On 8/4/2019 at 1:05 AM, Clown79 said:

I don't always do weekly waterchanges and  when I do, they aren't large ones

I want a beer now

9F41B32E-D9BC-4074-A68A-1C3CCEB2986F.jpeg

• Haha 1
Snow_Phoenix
11 hours ago, xM3THODx said:

I believe the system and inhabitants chosen has to be designed according to the owners lifestyle and not be a slave to it.

I agree with this. I reef at my own pace. If I were to constantly compare myself with other reefers, I'd find myself lacking in so many different areas, tbh. But as long as I understand the needs of my systems and meet those needs so that the animals I choose to keep thrive, and not just *survive, I'm fine with it. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I agree with this. I reef at my own pace. If I were to constantly compare myself with other reefers, I'd find myself lacking in so many different areas, tbh. But as long as I understand the needs of my systems and meet those needs so that the animals I choose to keep thrive, and not just *survive, I'm fine with it. 

Totally agree.

• Like 2