Cultivated Reef

Shallow Mangrove Reef

Nativeguy

Hello all- glad to see this forum has not gone the way of the dodo! I have lurked for years and I have decided to commit myself to finally getting started and staying in it for the long run. Anyway, here's my plan: I have a group of mangrove seedlings coming in on tuesday (hopefully!!!) and I want to build a reef around them. I want a nice rimless tank and this will be in a dorm for most of the year, so it can't be more than 10 gallons. I am going to start them in freshwater and transition to full salt over several months as I gather equipment and more knowledge/practice. Hopefully some of you will come along for the ride!

I can't decide on what aquarium to start with- I want as big as possible (under 10 gallons) and it has to be rimless but I don't want to break the bank on just the glass box; ideas?

Equipment List:

Finnex Fugray planted+ LED 

Aqua Lab Aquaria HCA 6.5 Gal low iron rimless

Scape:

Nature's Ocean 10 lbs natural white live aragonite sand

Livestock:

6 mangrove seedlings 

Thanks!

• Like 5

Update:

Ordered a 6.4 gal tank through Aqua Lab Aquaria, should come next week.

Also, mangroves came! Lost a lot of leaves in shipping but at least 4 of the 6 should make it if not more; set them up in a VERY temporary setup so they could gain some strength back before going into their home in ~3 weeks

60479CC6-1164-45B0-9F38-A2ABB20154B3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Oh nice seedlings! It's good that you got them already sprouted. That should certainly jump-start things.

I love mangroves, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with once your tank is up and running. 😊

• Like 1

I’ve put mangrove pods in my back chambers as well. Pulled them off my beach at the beginning of last week. There were hundreds of pods. I picked the ones that had baby roots starting to bud. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I collected a few myself a year ago and they made it up until a month or so ago after they started to brown. This time I am going to invest in a proper setup and lighting- I loooove mangroves and incorporating them into a reef tank is something I have always wanted to do. Very excited for this project

• Like 3

A lot of ideas swirling around right now- mainly how I am going to scape a tank that is only 6.5 inches wide. It doesn't have to last forever obviously- just searching for ideas or input

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

One week until I can setup- have the glass box, the light (for now) and hopefully some of the mangroves will recover from shipping, they are looking real rough rn. Also have sand, but will prob need more to get a ~2 inch or slightly under sandbed. Also thinking about doing what I've seen in other threads and building a LR rubble wall to fill with sand and plant with the mangroves. Not sure yet. Also already thinking about livestock🙄 and of course I can't find anything small enough that catches my interest. Oh well, I have time.

Love these little dudes😍

Our gallery - Paracentropogon rubripinnis - Lionfish Lair

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Nativeguy said:

One week until I can setup- have the glass box, the light (for now) and hopefully some of the mangroves will recover from shipping, they are looking real rough rn. Also have sand, but will prob need more to get a ~2 inch or slightly under sandbed. Also thinking about doing what I've seen in other threads and building a LR rubble wall to fill with sand and plant with the mangroves. Not sure yet. Also already thinking about livestock🙄 and of course I can't find anything small enough that catches my interest. Oh well, I have time.

Love these little dudes😍

Our gallery - Paracentropogon rubripinnis - Lionfish Lair

I had one for years, such cool little fish. I can’t seem to find them anywhere now 

• Like 2

I was just reading your reefer nano journal earlier today! I used to cruise wysiwyg's for stuff like those guys all the time, haven't seen one in awhile. On another note, thinking about ordering more mangroves in case some die- can never have too many around in my opinion! (I have backup plans in case I end up with too many for this tank)

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

So mangroves took a serious turn for the worse- still have a few but their time appears to be short. I will have to purchase a few more, not sure from where yet. In the meantime, need to pick up some supplies to get this train rolling. Still haven't decided on a salt mix I want- don't want to have to dose anytime soon, and there wont be many sps anyway. Also need another bag of sand, powerhead(s), and a light. I am considering a used ai prime to hang over the mangroves with another light to hang lower over the open sand area. Then again, the tank is long but very thin. Not sure what to do

• Sad 1