SaltCritters.com

Chalice Coral Species

Brettward

With limited space in a nano, chalice coral spacing is an issue. My understanding is that there are 10 or so species of corals collectively called chalice corals. I also have heard that varieties within like species are not aggressive towards one another. Thus far I’ve identified the following species: Echinophyllia sp, Enchinopora sp., Oxypora sp, Pectinia. QUESTION 1: what other species fall in this category? QUESTION 2: what chalice corals do you have that are living harmoniously side by side? QUESTION 3: how do you  speciate the different chalice corals?

•   Echinophyllia

•   Echinopora (Though Faviid and not Pectiniid, it is included here because of similar morphology)

•   Oxypora

•   Mycedium

•   Pectinia

•   Physophyllia

•   Echinomorpha

Source: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/chalice-corals

Discussing chalice corals is a little bit tricky since there is such a broad grouping of corals in this category. There are two families, Faviidae and Pectiniidae, and at least seven genera, Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Pectinia, Physophyllia, Echinomorpha, and Echinpora, which are colloquially called chalice corals. Interestingly, two of the most similar looking, Echinopora and Echinophyllia, are not of the same family.

Source: http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Species-Spotlight/Chalice-Corals-(05/15/13)

Two New Species of Chalice Corals (And Possibly Three Less)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This is awesome. Thank you so much man. I was getting some help from a few sources and this summarizes all the things I've learned. 

• Like 1