Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is this normal for dry rock ?

DyloHeath

I would follow directions for sure.

IMO you could probably add corals or algae as either one may simply use up the remaining ammonia as food...but that's just something to keep in mind.  

There's very little to gain in rushing things.  🙂

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I would follow directions for sure.

IMO you could probably add corals or algae as either one may simply use up the remaining ammonia as food...but that's just something to keep in mind.  

There's very little to gain in rushing things.  🙂

I'm going to wait, I need to do more research on coral before introducing it to the tank.

I don't even have the correct test kits for coral yet.

Just going to take time at this point.

Thanks though!

• Like 2

Need some advice. Are these results a little weird?

Todays testing was:

Keep in mind I'm using API testing kit and have heard they suck lol

NH3: 3-4 ppm

NO2: 0.5-1 ppm

NO3: 10-20 ppm

For that little bit of algae, get in there with your fingers (or tweezers if you have sausage fingers) and pull that stuff out by the roots.

Use the same technique @Melev uses vs derbesia here:

Run a micron filter or UV filter to remove or kill "spores" IF it seems to be spreading faster than you can stay on top of it.  Marineland's Polishing Filter or any of the variety of uv filters out there would help.

Algae will always spread if you don't control it - all green algae is like this.  

Bryopsis is mostly only distinctive in that not much eats it.  

That means pretty much 100% of the removal part of the control effort is on you – no help from herbivores.  But DON'T PANIC! 😉 

This is more or less true of all green algae once they become long and established though – they all become less and less palatable.  Your fingers don't care about flavor though!  😄

The only help you can depend on versus bryopsis is the overall health and stability of your tank...

As long as you aren't starving the tank, and as long as you stay on top of pulling this algae out as it grows, corals, Coraline algae and other types of healthy algae will eventually outcompete it.

Time and elbow grease will prevail...perhaps with a little uv or micron filtration help as mentioned. 😉 

Peroxide spot treatments are a great tool to add to this regime, but may or may not be necessary.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

For that little bit of algae, get in there with your fingers (or tweezers if you have sausage fingers) and pull that stuff out by the roots.

Use the same technique @Melev uses vs derbesia here:

Run a micron filter or UV filter to remove or kill "spores" IF it seems to be spreading faster than you can stay on top of it.  Marineland's Polishing Filter or any of the variety of uv filters out there would help.

Algae will always spread if you don't control it - all green algae is like this.  

Bryopsis is mostly only distinctive in that not much eats it.  

That means pretty much 100% of the removal part of the control effort is on you – no help from herbivores.  But DON'T PANIC! 😉 

This is more or less true of all green algae once they become long and established though – they all become less and less palatable.  Your fingers don't care about flavor though!  😄

The only help you can depend on versus bryopsis is the overall health and stability of your tank...

As long as you aren't starving the tank, and as long as you stay on top of pulling this algae out as it grows, corals, Coraline algae and other types of healthy algae will eventually outcompete it.

Time and elbow grease will prevail...perhaps with a little uv or micron filtration help as mentioned. 😉 

Peroxide spot treatments are a great tool to add to this regime, but may or may not be necessary.

Thanks! Didn't even realise I had algae, I thought it was sponge.

All that green fluffy stuff is algae ??

I'll fix that asap !

Weird!!!

I'm not entirely sure how my post is saved into the wrong thread...but it is.

There is no photo of green algae in your thread that I mention it in my post.  

And there appears to be no mention of bryopsis here either.

Not sure... @Christopher Marks seems like the editor has been a little buggy lately...but just cuz it's not clearing after posting/saving...can't explain this post being here.  Any ideas?

here's where the post belongs if you can please move it Chris: