Coral Vue Hydros

Fish Suggestions for 50g

Hami

I am wonder if I could possibly get other fish for my aquarium. I have a 50g corner reef aquarium. It contains a pair of clowns (not to happy with each other) a splendid dottyback, a fire blood shrimp, and a snail. Open to suggestions.

a 50G definitely has more room but you might have some agression issues with the dottyback and clowns.    How old is the tank because if its new you need to add things in slowly so you don't shock your system.

• Like 1

The tank started this January, but I don’t have any aggression between the clowns and the dottyback, but the dottyback has killed a cardinal. The last fish I added was the dottyback in April 

dotttybacks are arsehole murderers.  You can pretty much expect it to do that to any fish it can.  I'm not a super big fish guy, inverts and weird shiz are my jam, but you will probably need to get rid of the dotty if you want to be safe or you need to get a fish big enough to fight back.  

You can also try temporarily rehoming it / sumping it for a while, add your new fish, let them get established and add the dottyback back in last so it doesn't have an established territory anymore and the tank pecking order has been set by the others beforehand.  This isn't a sure fire way though.

I am working on selling my dottyback to my lfs, so I was wondering if I could get cardinals again and maybe some sexy shrimp and maybe a Pom Pom crab... would the fire shrimp hurt sexy shrimps?

7 minutes ago, Hami said:

I am working on selling my dottyback to my lfs, so I was wondering if I could get cardinals again and maybe some sexy shrimp and maybe a Pom Pom crab... would the fire shrimp hurt sexy shrimps?

I would very much doubt you'd see the Sexies in a Tank of that size. I struggled to find all three in my tiny 2.5G Pico sometimes

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hami said:

Is there anyway of  guaranteeing that you could find them?

In mine? They mobbed my Corals when I fed them (Corals) Reef Roids. They did it so much i had to distract the three of tehm to the other side of my tank (with Reef Roids) then feed my corals when they were busy. They grow to 1.5" so pretty small. 

You could do Sexy Shrimp and an Anemone in a 'Nem Box i guess?

• Like 2

Sounds very small... thanks for the info tho... I have heard that they end up fighting in most people’s aquarium... is it true in most cases?

Just now, Hami said:

Sounds very small... thanks for the info tho... I have heard that they end up fighting in most people’s aquarium... is it true in most cases?

They don't get a lot bigger than your thumbnail. Never really saw any fighting. Except when my Red Legged Hermit Crab fought them for food. They did mob and trample corals in mine ona regular basis. Even stole food from the Duncan and Mushrooms a few times. If you want Sexy Shrimp, I would recommend a desktop Nano or Pico (5g maximum IMO) otherwise you'd never see them.

• Thanks 1

Do any of you people know if petco will take back fish after their 30 day  guarantee even if they are alive... my lfs said they would take it if petco wouldn’t 

what type copepods do u guys use? I was thinking about putting some in the tank for my clowns and corals

3 hours ago, Hami said:

Do any of you people know if petco will take back fish after their 30 day  guarantee even if they are alive... my lfs said they would take it if petco wouldn’t 

what type copepods do u guys use? I was thinking about putting some in the tank for my clowns and corals

I seeded my tank with canada copepods and use their phytoplankton to feed. They ship to the US too.

I also built a pod condo to grow pods in to replenish my display, you can also do chaeto to do the same I just went the cheap route.😊

I seeded my tank to add biodiversity to combat dino's. It's not necessary to seed a tank but I have actually found it helpful for more than just dino's.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Hami said:

I was going to get tisbe at one point in time, but I was wonder if anyone else has had luck with them... they are easier for me to get

That's what's in the canada copepods.

Here is some info on them 

https://sustainableaquatics.com/feeds/sa-live-marine-copepods-tisbe-biminiensis/

I would definitely consider a place for them to reproduce.

You could do a hang on back filter with chaeto in it and a simple light above the filter. A lot of ppl use the reverse light cycle. When the tanks lights are off, the chaeto light is on.

Another way to do it is getting a breeder box or even a clear soap sponge holder, place the chaeto in it, 

imageproxy.jpeg.65d7d7a8e0c26ab938a146db5e8e4847.jpeg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

https://sustainableaquatics.com/feeds/sa-live-marine-copepods-tisbe-biminiensis/

You could do a hang on back filter with chaeto in it and a simple light above the filter. A lot of ppl use the reverse light cycle. When the tanks lights are off, the chaeto light is on.

Another way to do it is getting a breeder box or even a clear soap sponge holder, place the chaeto in it, 

I like the picture idea I might try that

15 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Where would I find that algae

13 minutes ago, Hami said:

Where would I find that algae

Lfs often sell it, online vendors(many recommended on here), local hobbyists often give it away for free or cheap.

Finding local reef group, even fb groups can connect you to ppl selling frags, equipment, other stores etc.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have another question I have had my clowns since January, but they still don’t get along very well. Is there a way to make them get along better?

Not unlike with people who don't get along, you'll have to change their environment to get a change in behavior...but it's more like a roll of the dice vs "making them get along".  🙂  (Try that with people and see if it's any different.)

• Like 1