Innovative Marine Aquariums

Something crazy is going on with my anemone...

Hami

URGENT:  You need more AND better (bluer) lights ASAP.  

I'm not saying that's what caused whatever is happening, but I'm saying that light will not support an anemone and it will grow more algae than you want.

Do you know your budget for a new light and what's available where you are?  HOw deep is your tank?

I like the Marineland Polishing Filter...how is yours set up right now?

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 minutes ago, Hami said:

Yes the 50g imageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031bimageproxy.php?img=&key=c50b0cddbe5b031b

I’m just now seeing this, and you only have one turbo in a 50g? I would have like at least 5 or 10. Get some hermits like they said. You could even get some trochus or margarita snails. Also, did you say what kinda anemone it is? It looks like a sebae. If it is, I would not recommend a sebae for a beginner. Live aquaria lists them as difficult, I would’ve started out with a bubble tip or a long tentacle anemone. If he isn’t eating for you, you may want to try a variety of different foods. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 minutes ago, Hami said:

Update I flipped it over (someone said it was upside down) and it still looks the same... hope it doesn’t die 🤞🙏

image.jpg

It looks as if it’s melting, that’s very bad for your tank. If it gets worse, you may want to remove it 

14 minutes ago, Hami said:

952FC834-982C-407A-A7CE-46D495B1CFCE.jpeg

D4EC117B-7BC7-4C9C-9996-B8E0ECE1FCD7.jpeg

CE8F0F76-2548-4485-B125-E3F06532DEE0.jpeg

You definitely need a bigger clean up crew tho 

Corals can survive a long time without proper lighting but your light simply can not support them. 

The anenome is dying/will die in this set up.

I would suggest you keep the tank fish only. If you add lighting....chinese box led would be affordable.

The filter came with two different filters I don’t have the polishing one in at the moment.

my budget is what ever is  necessary but would appreciate if it was under $300.

i don’t know what kind of anemone it is.

what types of food?

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Corals can survive a long time without proper lighting but your light simply can not support them. 

The anenome is dying/will die in this set up.

I would suggest you keep the tank fish only. If you add lighting....chinese box led would be affordable.

Thanks for the information I will try to get a new light set up soon.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Hami said:

I don’t know the type of coral but it is growing from when I bought it...

image.jpg

That’s a ricordea Florida 

They don’t require a lot of light 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Hami said:

The filter came with two different filters I don’t have the polishing one in at the moment.

what types of food?

With a budget of 300 dollars you can basically get anything. You can get whatever you need. You should look for an AI prime hd, they are probably one of the best lights for the price. I think one could work on your 50, bc it’s a bow front tank.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

With a budget of 300 dollars you can basically get anything. You can get whatever you need. You should look for an AI prime hd, they are probably one of the best lights for the price. I think one could work on your 50, bc it’s a bow front tank.

Thanks... I was going to buy a new light online but I didn’t know how they would fit with my aquarium 

8 minutes ago, Hami said:

what types of food?

Have a search for 54g reef tanks, seen some people running multiple kessle's, some with black boxes. Ost seem to have removed the lid and installed a jump guard. Doesn't seem to be a common set up which is both as cool as it will be challenging. 

1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Have a search for 54g reef tanks, seen some people running multiple kessle's, some with black boxes. Ost seem to have removed the lid and installed a jump guard. Doesn't seem to be a common set up which is both as cool as it will be challenging. 

The tank was somewhat difficult to find it was 2 hours away, but I think it was worth it so far

• Like 1

Is that 30" across the "light-portal" on top, or can you measure it?

I think Current USA Orbit IC Pro's (a two pack of strips + controller)  would be one good option to consider.

A second set of smaller IC's in the back would be a nice add-on.

Either a Model 4225 or 4226 for the front, depending on width.

You'd have to measure to be sure, but the smaller (18"-24") Model 4224 may fit in the back.

Looks like about $250 for the 4225 set.  About $150 for the smaller 4224 set.

If you're willing to remove the top then you can probably come up with a number of other good options.  As others have said, do some googling to see how others have mounted their lights....a bow-corner isn't that easy to light compared with a tank that has all 90º corners.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Hami said:

How do I know what lights will be sufficient with the depth (21in)

Current publishes a PAR chart for each of the lights, so it's easy for them.  (The four strips I suggested should rock if they're the correct size.)

Kessil you'll want at least A160's...a trio or quad would be nice over an open tank.  A single A360X seems like it would be on the edge but may work...look around to see if anyone has a tank like yours that's been running on one of the older a360's.  Generally speaking it's nice to have multiple lights vs one for a lot of reasons, so I'd lean toward a multiple-A160 type of setup if you didn't want to go with the strips.

• Like 1

I would like to be able to get whatever I could ever dream of, unless that is not advised. It is hard to find lights that fit it since it is a corner aquarium, and I would prefer to not drill holes in my walls. (I do still live in my parents house) they don’t like holes in the walls, but I can if needed.

• Like 1
Just now, Ratvan said:

@Hami how much room between the tank and wall? How are the families DIY skills?

Thee is a little more than 2&1/4 on both sides... my dad is a carpenter to we are good there

33 minutes ago, Hami said:

I don’t know the type of coral but it is growing from when I bought it...

image.jpg

Mushrooms will stretch and grow larger in an attempt to capture more light. They tend to open up in lower flow too.

Do you have any powerheads?

Coral needs flow too.

Are you using tap water? If so that could be the source of the algae.