Cultivated Reef

Hitchhiker snail

A.m.P

Was wondering if anyone knew what kind of snail this was, must have hitchhiked in on a trochus or maybe the micro brittles I added a bit ago, spotted it and removed it from the tank just in case it's related to pyramid snails (since I have a maxima)

IMG_20190731_170243_59.thumb.jpg.34a365eae9af248418719cab79d364c8.jpg

IMG_20190731_170318_57.thumb.jpg.a29489e2bfa978392775f97a738eaab8.jpg

• Like 1

Looks a lot like a dwarf Cerith snail, but when they're that small it is hard to be sure. Did you get rid of it already? If not you could try isolating it in a small container and observing it for awhile. If it attempts to graze on the walls/glass of the container you can be fairly sure it's an algae eater.

• Like 1

I was going to mention it looks similar to the dwarf ceriths I got from @johnmaloney a while back, but I really don't recall getting any smaller than a pentip and I don't think I dropped any that tiny into my tank...

johnmaloney

Do you a have a picture of his underside? The opperculum will give some clues about what family it is in.

Cerithiopsidae is likely, they are so diverse and identification can be a chore if you don't luck out and find a picture match. Very little is known about these species too so when you find the name that may be all you find about it except what ocean it came from. But this website has a lot of good pictures to match:

http://www.gastropods.com/Taxon_pages/TN_Family_CERITHIOPSIDAE.shtml

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1