ReefCleaners.org

This just appeared

Mrs. Limpet

Mrs. Limpet

My tank is new, almost 3 months. Parameters are good. Corals, fish, shrimp and snails are happy. A few days ago these white things appeared, and now have spread and I've noticed on a second rock. I'm not sure what it is or if it's harmful, any help is appreciated. Thank you. 

20190730_135758.jpg

20190730_135734.jpg

20190731_102954.jpg

20190731_102913.jpg

Looks kind of like ball anemones to me. (And like most hitchhikers, some say good, some say they are bad, but I think in general ...mostly harmless?)

First are colonial hydroids and the second are pseudocorynactis (aka ball anemone). 

There aren't a lot of good ways to deal with colonial hydroids. A good way is to stop broadcast feeding if you're doing that.

Mrs. Limpet
50 minutes ago, Joevember said:

First are colonial hydroids and the second are pseudocorynactis (aka ball anemone). 

There aren't a lot of good ways to deal with colonial hydroids. A good way is to stop broadcast feeding if you're doing that.

Do you mean broadcast feeding the coral or fish or both? I currently target feed the fish to be sure everyone eats, including my shrimp and I target feed corals and broadcast any left over along with phytoplankton. 

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Limpet said:

Do you mean broadcast feeding the coral or fish or both? I currently target feed the fish to be sure everyone eats, including my shrimp and I target feed corals and broadcast any left over along with phytoplankton. 

Hydroids eat small stuff floating around in the water. They aren't that much of a problem, more of an eyesoar. I have a bunch on my coral skeletons that don't bother them much. Just try to minimize how much they can eat if you don't want them spreading more. 

Mrs. Limpet
35 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Hydroids eat small stuff floating around in the water. They aren't that much of a problem, more of an eyesoar. I have a bunch on my coral skeletons that don't bother them much. Just try to minimize how much they can eat if you don't want them spreading more. 

Thank you.