inTank Media Baskets

IM Nano 10 - back in the hobby

glutton4punishment

glutton4punishment

So after a 3 years without a tank, I decided to jump back in with a IM 10g.  I had a 37g LPS tank for 6 years and a 180g mixed reef for 5 years - went all out, fairly successful but had issues come up that made the hobby unsustainable at the time.  Looking to try and keep this one uncomplicated. !  It is amazing to me the advancements in the hobby just in the last couple years.  Any helpful comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.  Getting live rock and water tonight and will just cycle for a while before adding anything.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, glutton4punishment said:

So after a 3 years without a tank, I decided to jump back in with a IM 10g.  I had a 37g LPS tank for 6 years and a 180g mixed reef for 5 years - went all out, fairly successful but had issues come up that made the hobby unsustainable at the time.  Looking to try and keep this one uncomplicated. !  It is amazing to me the advancements in the hobby just in the last couple years.  Any helpful comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.  Getting live rock and water tonight and will just cycle for a while before adding anything.

Welcome to NR! 🙂

We need pictures!! 😄

• Like 1

Welcome to N-R! It's always good to see a veteran reefer get back in the game. 😉

Some advice I wish I had heard when I was starting my nano is to find the equipment you think you'll eventually want and purchase it right from the get-go. That way you can avoid going through multiple iterations of upgrades and save yourself a lot of money down the line. There are a bazillion viable options out there these days for heaters, lights, powerheads, etc., so just figuring out which one will be best for your individual system can take quite a lot of research. It's worth it though!

I, for example, basically knew from the start that I wanted an MP-10 wavemaker... but instead decided to get a cheap Hydor powerhead to see if I could get away with it... then got a second, slightly larger version of that powerhead... then finally, four months in, bought an MP-10 and felt silly for going through that whole process. 😅

• Like 1
glutton4punishment

Great advice.  Problem is I don't know what I want !  I went with my son to the local store only for kicks and ended up bringing this little 10 home with me - Misery loves company my son says.  I hate that I got rid of EVERYTHING.  RODI system included. 😞  

I don't think I want SPS this time and maybe only 1 fish with lots of character. My flame hawkfish was one of my favorites. I want to keep it super simple but by gosh some of these little tanks are incredible.  That's the problem with this hobby, your ambition grows (in relation to your wallet shrinking)

• Like 1
glutton4punishment

After thinking on this for a week, I have decided to use a piece of dry rock that was in my 180 instead of live rock.  I have plenty of time to get this tank up and running and I just really love the look of this rock. A extra bonus is that is a piece of an aquarium that I enjoyed for a long time.  I mean there must have been some reason why I kept it???  It will soak for a while and then I can start up my cycling.

IMG_3069.jpg

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Looks like you and I are both getting back at it after a few years off! It is an exciting time for sure. There seems to be some new options for about every aspect of equipment compared to just a few years ago. Suggestions? Research over and over LOL. Thankfully the IM 10 is a popular setup, you shouldn't have much issue finding equipment that fits the tank.

Look forward to watching your progress! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
glutton4punishment

Rock clean and cycle started.  I love how quiet this tank is.  At least for now!  I have a nano powerhead to add that I saved from my 35 but it is oldschool and probably noisy.

8.10.19.jpg

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, glutton4punishment said:

Rock clean and cycle started.  I love how quiet this tank is.  At least for now!  I have a nano powerhead to add that I saved from my 35 but it is oldschool and probably noisy.

8.10.19.jpg

I like that rock! 😀

glutton4punishment
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I like that rock! 😀

Thank you!  I told my son - who also wants to go with dry rock - that I had plenty.  Then when I went to look, realized that most of it had coral on it and was sold with the coral 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1