SaltCritters.com

Sharon’s Fluval Evo 13.5

Elephant999

Elephant999

Had my Evo for 2 days and already have made mods!  Tank had been up and running for 8 months before I got it.

So to add to my clowns, goby and hermits, I bought a cleaner shrimp called Bubba.  My son named the clowns Pennywise and Ronald!

Ive added a Purigen pouch today, got rid of the stock sponges and added filter floss. I’ve got Chemipure Elite on order as well as Intank media baskets.  Carried out a partial water change as the tank came with a spare pump and heater. 

Also added my Fluval light control from my previous large FW tank. I know it doesn’t control the actinic lights but I’m happy with it.

No corals as yet but I intend to stock soft corals and maybe LPS so no intention as yet to swap out the stock light.

The Evo contains CaribSea Liferock with plenty of crevices for adding corals.AD5A61CA-E4AD-4291-AD05-23AD5384945A.thumb.jpeg.7613d678843b70c0eac91ec41cbfe663.jpeg

C5736474-D129-4640-9F58-DEC244C409B4.jpeg

• Like 6

Looks good.

What Goby is it that you have?

If you are interested I'll be trimming down some of my softies in the next month or so. Not a lot of choice but mainly "starter" corals. GSP, Xenia, Yuma Mushrooms, Discosoma Mushrooms and maybe Toadstool leather.

Elephant999

Thank you 😀

I’m not entirely sure.  He’s mainly yellow but has a couple of electric blue flashes, if that helps.

And yes, definitely interested in the corals. I would rather buy from a fellow member on here than a LFS.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Elephant999 said:

I’m not entirely sure.  He’s mainly yellow but has a couple of electric blue flashes, if that helps.

Lol that could be any really. Maybe a Yellow Clown Goby or Saffron Goby 

• 2 weeks later...

And so the upgrades and additions begin.  Ordered a Jebao SW2 powerhead from Fleabay, and also a Duncan and hammer coral. Photos later in the week.  Added a turbo snail and also got on order 5 Cerith snails.

Going to buy an Interpet 36cm long blue LED and silicone it to the hood and run that through my Fluval timer as well.

edit - photo added. I’ve placed the powerhead adjacent to the the return pump nozzles which are pointing up towards the surface. Good or bad location?  Also decided to go with an AI Prime HD light as I’m fed up of the stock hood.

A0DA7C8E-C39C-427D-86A2-0DD906D5B875.jpeg

Edited by Elephant999
Photo added.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I’ve ordered a few mods and they should be arriving tomorrow. Fed up of the hood dripping everywhere when I take it off. So pulled the trigger on an AI Prime HD, ATO and D-D mesh jump guard, as well as a temperature controller. 😂

should be be here tomorrow....

See pic for my new Candy Cane.

A7DBC45B-747D-4BF5-B51A-BB37FA2F6D81.jpeg

• Like 2

Very pleased with my haul.  All fitted including D-D jump guard which wasn’t too hard to fit. Loving the shimmer from the AI Prime, on David Saxby settings.

With the Intank basket I couldn’t work out why the levels were so low in the rear compartments until I placed the stock surface skimmer piece on the inside of chamber 1!,,

The ATO is also a very neat bit of kit.

9DACAD16-D79C-4FC6-B07F-395B84B8168E.jpeg

• Like 5
AndresAcross

How are your Nitrates doing? What do you use to keep them controlled? Mine are really high and water changes don't seem to help controlling them, It is looking good!

Thank you.  Funny you should ask about Nitrates, mine were running at 20 but I still was running stock sponge but got rid when I bought my media basket, so I’m hoping next time I test, as I’m away for a week, that they have come down a bit. I’m thinking of running one of the more decorative macro algae (blue Ochtodes) within the tank to help with nutrient export.

The other thing I have done is reduced feeding so hopefully this will help with reducing nitrates. I was feeding 3 times a day. 

• Like 2

Thank you. It was much easier to fit than I thought it would be.

Got my nitrates down to 5, a combination of reducing feeding and disposing of the sponge block after buying the Intank media basket.

Currently got some GHA so will buy some more CUC.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a Montipora and Seriatopora frag from a fellow reefer. Fancied a delve into the dark arts aka SPS.

also ordered a couple more hammers (Aussie) and a couple of zoas, to arrive on Friday.

Got some free Xenia and GSP as well.

Tank is doing well, since adding Chemipure Elite, the GHA seems to be receding.

Had to clean the sponge in the return pump today as flow was very reduced. Better now.

• Like 2

Amazing, the Montipora is showing good polyp extension and the GSP which was a small runner has sprouted overnight.

The Xenia slimed when I left it in a pot but now tied it to a rock and it’s showing signs of life.

BC0B6B91-554E-421B-81B9-8ADB19D8C183.jpeg

1BD56289-26D4-4BE5-85F7-EB8C60E3E5FF.jpeg

• Like 2
On 7/31/2019 at 9:19 PM, Elephant999 said:

Thank you 😀

And yes, definitely interested in the corals. I would rather buy from a fellow member on here than a LFS.  

If I had to hazard a guess, maybe a Citron goby? 

Tank looks really nice btw. Love the clowns. 

• Like 1

He’s a character perching under a rock most of the time.

Thank you. I wasn’t sure about clowns at first but they are very busy to watch.  When I bought the tank it was FOWLR, which meant I had a blank canvas for corals.  I find them really interesting, particularly in my stupidity, thought for years they were plants. Doh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, got my Duncans and zoas today, with a free Pavona frag.  The Duncans slimed when I placed them in the tank after dipping so I guess they were a bit fed up.  Haven’t opened yet but the zoas have, albeit they are so tiny!

• Like 2