Coral Vue Hydros

Official Lifegard Aquatics Crystal (AIO) Aquarium Club!!

ReefahBarra84

ReefahBarra84
6 hours ago, DaveDe said:

My 14.26 should be here on Monday. Anyone with this tank that upgraded the return pump (and to what?). 

I ordered the same exact tank myself! 

Still exploring equipment upgrades options as well. 

ReefahBarra84
42 minutes ago, manda12981 said:

Celebrating 1 week. It’s been a great one so far. She’s coming along nicely. 

63633C0B-CB41-4388-8C46-BD9908304B93.jpeg

Looks great! 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:45 PM, DaveDe said:

My 14.26 should be here on Monday. Anyone with this tank that upgraded the return pump (and to what?). 

I ordered the same exact tank myself! 

Still exploring equipment upgrades options as well. 

My 14.26 came a day early, yay!  Looks great, solid build. Gotta do the water fill test later today.

Question: I've never kept the sponge before but I'm having a hard time removing it. Did anyone else have this problem.?  Also - the media basket from my fluval 5 g is surprisingly too wide to fit the chamber in the new tank.  Some small issues to work out. 

It does come out I have the 24gallon. It just is really tight. I had to put mine back in because I upgraded the return pump ( because it sounded like it was chewing rocks 3 days after set up)and needed something to “block” any debris before it made it to my return pump. I use filter floss in my media basket so I eventually may take it out again. Hope that helps. 

Foam came out eventually, i made an simple/efficient media basket from egg crate for about $2 worth of material, and the the stock return pump is working fine - quiet too. Transferring to it now. 

I know I’ve been searching but I can’t find it. I figured since this is the lifegard thread someone with a 24 would know not only one that fits but one that will actually work. I want it for just some extra filtration it’s not a must. But I would like one and don’t want to drop cash on one that doesn’t work at all. I know it won’t pull like a larger skimmer I have had on my larger tanks in the past but something has to be out there. I have used nano skimmers and a hob eshopps before on a larger nano with a bigger chamber but this one is kinda tight. 

22 hours ago, Cdems said:

I know I’ve been searching but I can’t find it. I figured since this is the lifegard thread someone with a 24 would know not only one that fits but one that will actually work. I want it for just some extra filtration it’s not a must. But I would like one and don’t want to drop cash on one that doesn’t work at all. I know it won’t pull like a larger skimmer I have had on my larger tanks in the past but something has to be out there. I have used nano skimmers and a hob eshopps before on a larger nano with a bigger chamber but this one is kinda tight. 

Found the 4.1 it was Gravity's build thread still looking for the 24 for you as well.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:54 AM, manda12981 said:

Celebrating 1 week. It’s been a great one so far. She’s coming along nicely. 

63633C0B-CB41-4388-8C46-BD9908304B93.jpeg

Which sand did you use? I have about 40 pounds of fine sand that was from my last tank but worried that it will just create a dust storm in this little tank. But I'm also cheap and if I have it already why buy more.

2 hours ago, dwdenny said:

Which sand did you use? I have about 40 pounds of fine sand that was from my last tank but worried that it will just create a dust storm in this little tank. But I'm also cheap and if I have it already why buy more.

In my 24 gallon I used the one pictured below. I have used fine before but it always feels like more maintenance and I didn’t feel like it this time. I don’t plan on any sand sifting fish so I went medium size sand. I also went with a 10 pound bag as I didn’t want a super deep sand bed this time. If I was going with a sifter I would have went fine grain. Yeah I’m still at a loss for what worth while skimmer will fit this lifegard 24. Lol

FD677364-66A8-422A-9FC7-20C7047FCBDE.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Cdems said:

In my 24 gallon I used the one pictured below. I have used fine before but it always feels like more maintenance and I didn’t feel like it this time. I don’t plan on any sand sifting fish so I went medium size sand. I also went with a 10 pound bag as I didn’t want a super deep sand bed this time. If I was going with a sifter I would have went fine grain. Yeah I’m still at a loss for what worth while skimmer will fit this lifegard 24. Lol

FD677364-66A8-422A-9FC7-20C7047FCBDE.jpeg

only need like 4 pounds for this small tank if i can find the 10lb bag great but dang all i can find is the 20lb and that seems like such a waste unless i can find someone local to split it with.

I have two partial bags and I think that is what ends up happening to most people.  If you were closer, you could have it for free, but I'm up in Dallas.  

I will say that you might up needing it later, if you start another tank or for whatever reason move and then had to add more, or whatever.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, dwdenny said:

only need like 4 pounds for this small tank if i can find the 10lb bag great but dang all i can find is the 20lb and that seems like such a waste unless i can find someone local to split it with.

Type this in to Amazon it’s 15 bucks for 5 pounds. Hope that helps. 
Carib Sea ACS05839 Super Natural Sunset Gold Sand for Aquarium, 5-Pound

1 minute ago, Superdave said:

I have two partial bags and I think that is what ends up happening to most people.  If you were closer, you could have it for free, but I'm up in Dallas.  

I will say that you might up needing it later, if you start another tank or for whatever reason move and then had to add more, or whatever.  

That is true found a 10lb bag at the local petco (not my favorite place to buy things).

3 minutes ago, Cdems said:

Click image to open expanded view

Carib Sea ACS05839 Super Natural Sunset Gold Sand for Aquarium, 5-Pound
Brand: Carib Sea
4.5 out of 5 stars    269 ratings
Price:    $14.00   & FREE Returns

Didn't even think of Amazon lol

You can buy a piece of 1/8th plexiglass on Amazon and cut it to size with a Dremel for like 29 bucks if that helps. I don’t currently run. Lid but if I did that is exactly what I would do. 

9 minutes ago, Cdems said:

You can buy a piece of 1/8th plexiglass on Amazon and cut it to size with a Dremel for like 29 bucks if that helps. I don’t currently run. Lid but if I did that is exactly what I would do. 

Yay I was thinking about doing something like that.  Surprised it even cost that much. The local Ace Hardware and Home Depot carry plexiglass so - easy. Thanks. 

Sticker shock on that one. Thanks for the link though. I picked up an acrylic sheet at Home Dept today for $13 and with a few cuts and drill holes I think I can make something that looks decent. 

Just now, DaveDe said:

Sticker shock on that one. Thanks for the link though. I picked up an acrylic sheet at Home Dept today for $13 and with a few cuts and drill holes I think I can make something that looks decent. 

depending on the thickness you got and your lights it could warp some.