Elizabeth94

Liz's Waterbox 70.3

Elizabeth94

Same link you posted. Its the 100gpd for $224.99. The first row if their chart is wrong I think.  Because the second row shows the “100gpd.”

187911CA-1764-4CF9-AF13-C3E1307D9790.png

• Like 1

ninjamyst
7 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Takes 30mins to make 5gals of rodi water. I didn’t measure the waste water but its certainly a steady flow XD.

My tds is actually lower than I thought. If I wait a minute the input drops between 4-10tds. Output is always 0. 

Is it possible to have low tds from the town or is my sensor not right? I wonder if the water gets filtered faster bc of the low tds input? Gosh idk. 

47AFD5A4-B75F-4E94-809A-4A8D17D39654.jpeg

Ahhh...I believe that's the TDS AFTER it goes through your RO membrane and before it goes to the DI canister, which makes a lot more sense.  Your RO membrane is suppose to remove most of the TDS and the DI canister removes the final 5-10.  If you get a handheld TDS meter and measure your tap water, it should be in the hundreds.  30 mins to make 5 gallons of RODI is really really nice.  It takes me close to 2 hours....hahah.  I guess that's the perk of higher PSI.

• Thanks 1

Elizabeth94

OH that would make sense! I was thinking to myself “dang, how lucky am I to already have low tds.” Too good to be true. So used to buying my water from the lfs. But there will be no more back breaking lugging around 7, 5gal jugs from the trunk to the house. 

I am surprised at how fast it is. Hopefully nothing is broken XD 

• Like 1

mcarroll
13 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Can you link the specific system on BRS's website?

I'm not seeing 100GPD on their comparison chart here, only 75 and 150GPD:(see bottom)

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

11 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Same link you posted. Its the 100gpd for $224.99. The first row if their chart is wrong I think.  Because the second row shows the “100gpd.”

Ok...just wanted you to make sure I was looking at the right thing! 😉 

As another post mentioned and the BRS link confirms, you should be watching your production rate and your waste rate....you should get one unit of production water for every three units of waste.  Also, if you are measuring TDS from the tap and from the membrane, you should measure a 98% drop in TDS.

Increasing PSI on the membrane could increase performance but make sure you have the flow restrictor in place.  (The restrictor should be dictating that 3:1 waste ratio noted above.)

Have you measured your actual production rates of waste and product water?  What's the GPH or GPD of both?

• Like 2

Elizabeth94

Ill have to rig something up to see what my ratio is. 

I hope its right because I'm not exactly sure how to adjust the unit. Thanks a lot for the help! 

Krish87
On 7/30/2019 at 10:37 AM, Elizabeth94 said:

Hello everyone! I have been out of the hobby for a few years after going to college and I am getting the urge again. I have only had three other reef tanks but my last tank, a fusion 20, was cut WAY short due to college. I just placed my order with Waterbox for their 70.3 system. I don't have a set plan on the stocking, however I have recently fallen involve with some softy/lps tanks through my searches. I want this tank to mature and be fairly easy to maintain so I am not sure I want much sps. I have an obsession with acans and rock flower nems right now and I am sure I will invest a lot in them. 

Equipment:

Tank: Waterbox 70.3/ 68gal total volume

Return: Vectra S2/ Max 1400gph

Lighting: ATI 36" 6 bulb fixture 

Flow: Max Gyre xf330

Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 120

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto 

This will be the largest system I have had so I am hoping the extra water volume will be easier since I plan on light stocking. The white version of the tank is backordered so it will be a slow build. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I am sorry that it will be a little bit before we get this thing rolling. Once the tank arrives I plan to get it running asap.

Dear Liz, I have a question. When I doing some reading over the systems that I am considering if/when I upgrade (specifically the Reef 70.2 system), the recommended flow states 700gph. I see that you have 1400 gph return pump. Can you provide some insight on that decision? Since you are now having first hand experience with the system, it will be good to know your thoughts behind this decision.

Thanks you 🙂

Elizabeth94
20 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Dear Liz, I have a question. When I doing some reading over the systems that I am considering if/when I upgrade (specifically the Reef 70.2 system), the recommended flow states 700gph. I see that you have 1400 gph return pump. Can you provide some insight on that decision? Since you are now having first hand experience with the system, it will be good to know your thoughts behind this decision.

Thanks you 🙂

Hello!

I chose this pump for several reasons. I wanted this brand because it is a higher quality pump and I have always had good luck with Ecotech products. It can be used with a battery backup and the flow  can be adjusted. It is possible that down the line I might plumb in some equipment off the return line. This leaves me with a little "wiggle" room for any future upgrades to the system. There were a couple other pumps I was looking into that would have been just fine for a fraction of the cost. I might go for one of them as a backup incase something happens and I need it. Just make sure you check the pumps flow with head pressure and you'll be good to go!

• Thanks 1

mcarroll
On 8/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, Elizabeth94 said:

Ill have to rig something up to see what my ratio is. 

I hope its right because I'm not exactly sure how to adjust the unit. Thanks a lot for the help! 

I just use two 1 Cup-size graduated measuring cups - one to catch waste, the other to catch product.  Use both simultaneously until there's enough for you to judge the 3:1 ratio.  I usually wait for 10 mL of product to make it simple.  As long as you also have 30 mL of waste in that time, you're fine.

I also plumbed a second product water outlet with a shutoff valve at the same utility sink where the waste water line runs out to make sampling easy.

• Thanks 1

Elizabeth94

Just wanted to time stamp here the day my little coral frag tank got wet. I have been cycling my dry rock a tub for a while so I transferred some into the 7gal.  Seeing that the display is still backordered at least I have this one to keep me busy.

I took advice from @mcarroll and instead of making this quarantine/frag tank bare, its really going to be a full nano set up. Im actually more excited about it now and so is the hubby. We plan to have one small fish in there and possibly RFAs. 

Should I keep it bare-bottom for ease of cleaning? 

Im also trying out the IM Aqua Gadget Desktop Wavelink for flow. 

• Like 2