inTank Media Baskets

Liz's Waterbox 70.3

Elizabeth94

Elizabeth94

Hello everyone! I have been out of the hobby for a few years after going to college and I am getting the urge again. I have only had three other reef tanks but my last tank, a fusion 20, was cut WAY short due to college. I just placed my order with Waterbox for their 70.3 system. I don't have a set plan on the stocking so well see!

Equipment:

Tank: Waterbox 70.3

Return: Vectra S2/ Max 1400gph

Lighting: x2 Kessil a360x

Flow: X2 AI Nero 5

Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 120

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto

Full tank shot Feb 2020

BE8D28F8-F805-453E-B693-ADA62EF5BD05.jpeg

Dec 2020

B9B5063F-46DB-491F-8C17-D34050E156DB.thumb.jpeg.3801a9a7f2d5dc14ce45aae83effb57c.jpeg

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Hello everyone! I have been out of the hobby for a few years after going to college and I am getting the urge again. I have only had three other reef tanks but my last tank, a fusion 20, was cut WAY short due to college. I just placed my order with Waterbox for their 70.3 system. I don't have a set plan on the stocking, however I have recently fallen involve with some softy/lps tanks through my searches. I want this tank to mature and be fairly easy to maintain so I am not sure I want much sps. I have an obsession with acans and rock flower nems right now and I am sure I will invest a lot in them. 

Equipment:

Tank: Waterbox 70.3/ 68gal total volume

Return: Vectra S2/ Max 1400gph

Lighting: ATI 4x24watt (I am not sure if this will stay, I just happen to have one. Might add kessils) 

Flow: Can't decide between 2x AI Nero 5s, 1xMP40, 2xMP10s or 1x Max Gyre xf330

ATO: XP Aqua Duetto 

Heater: Unknown

As you can see, still working out ideas. This will be the largest system I have had so I am hoping the extra water volume will be easier since I plan on light stocking. The white version of the tank is backordered so it will be a slow build. Any suggestions on the flow please speak up! I have had MP10's in the past and I love them. But I am leaning towards the Gyre!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I am sorry that it will be a little bit before we get this thing rolling. Once the tank arrives I plan to get it running asap. Still undecided if I want to get some gulf live rock or do a muriatic/bleach dip on some pukani.

In the meantime enjoy some of my past favorite corals I have had!

Birdsnest 3.jpg

Yuma 3.jpeg

Wall Hammer.jpg

Mushroom Rock.jpg

Welcome back. 😊

Cant wait to see it all set up!

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Well I just ordered an AIO package for my quarantine for fish and corals. I admit I haven't use a quarantine for my other small tanks but now that I have my own house I can. It is a Waterbox 7gal cube. Funny how it is the same manufacturer of my display. Just so happened that it was a great price. $230.. 

Any tips with this quarantine would be awesome since its my first. I plan to run it 24/7 with no sand. Just frag racks, and PVC for any fish. Can I rely on a marine pure block for biological filtration?  

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.52.18 AM.png

• Like 3

It's very very small for a fish quarantine.

5 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Just frag racks, and PVC for any fish.

I refer to this as prison-style QT as it's not too dissimilar in effect - a high-stress environment.  Having frags will be better than not, but keep fish stock levels VERY low (like one) if you do fish in it.

Be sure to dress it up with some naturalistic "soft effects" like fake plants.  A piece of live rock would be advisable.  If you don't have access to any live rock, providing some form of bio-media will be the next best thing, and mandatory of course.  Your bio-block suggestion may work if it's compatible with your setup...just about anything will do though.  I would only say to keep it simple.

Personally, I would use this for invert QT and frags but not try to put fish through it.  Too small for any but the smallest specimens.

I like the idea of having a permanent neon cleaner goby in there with the frags though.  Or anything you'd prefer of that size-class.

Elizabeth94

I got some other things delivered that came in good shape. 

BRS 100gal per day 4 Stage plus system was packaged perfectly. This is my first rodi unit. I plan to hook it up to my washer and have the waste water pour into my washer.

My towns freshwater supply broke open leaking over 300,000 gallons of freshwater a day. They expect the repairs to be done in about two years. I guess the pipe is about 20ft under a local (saltwater) bay. Cant imagine what it has done to the wildlife there... Anyways, until then we are restricted on water use. Perfect time to set up a reef tank XD 

Im going to try Macro rock again. This time I will be doing an acid dip, followed by a week of bleaching. I decided this after watching a video on BRS comparing the phosphate levels. Hopefully their results will be true with my system. Worth a try imo. 

BRS rock was packages nicely and had very minimal damage (unlike my poor ATI) I have some large peices to work with. Very happy. 

27DD36EE-B857-4DC2-818C-A0B79B98F17A.jpeg

• Like 4
Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Well. My ATI Fixture just arrived with major damage. 

E6C6C76F-1806-40E5-8D12-30D2CBC5BB56.jpeg

That sucks!!!  That box got crushed.  Do you have to make a claim with the supplier or shipper?  That will be a nice light though when you get a new one.  I was thinking about going all T5s but got a deal for my Radions.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Im going to try Macro rock again. This time I will be doing an acid dip, followed by a week of bleaching. I decided this after watching a video on BRS comparing the phosphate levels. Hopefully their results will be true with my system. Worth a try imo. 

That's crazy dangerous vs just prepping the rock as usual.   in spite of the videos you have watched I would search for other methods of properly using this rock if you go in that direction. 

I would at least assess the rock before proceeding to make sure all that risk is really necessary.

Aquacultured or recycled live rock would be a much better, simpler AND safer avenue, if possible.  

Pls be prepared with safety gear including gloves, safety glasses as good ventilation while you work if you proceed with your original plan.

42 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That's crazy dangerous vs just prepping the rock as usual.   in spite of the videos you have watched I would search for other methods of properly using this rock if you go in that direction. 

I would at least assess the rock before proceeding to make sure all that risk is really necessary.

Aquacultured or recycled live rock would be a much better, simpler AND safer avenue, if possible.  

Pls be prepared with safety gear including gloves, safety glasses as good ventilation while you work if you proceed with your original plan.

OP is kinda committed now, but I acid dipped my rock too. After the cost of buying a brute trash can, the acid, the gloves, the safety glasses, and the full day I spent during the endeavor, I wouldn’t recommend it as a terrific option. However, it was super fun as a little science experiment. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 2

Awesome choices in equipment!  You may have to get a second qt tank for fish only.  If you ever need to administer copper for treatment, your qt tank can't be used for coral qt anymore.  The qt tank is so cute and my bet is it will turn into a display tank soon =P.  For fish qt, most people just get a cheap 10 or 20 gallon tank from Petco with a hang on filter.  

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

So I messaged BRS and they got back to me in a couple hours. They are sending me a new one but are figuring out how to get the damaged fixture back. I just hope this will be a one time thing. 

@TatorTaco Did you use the rock you dipped? Did you notice any issues within the first year regarding algae? I used untreated macro rock for my very first tank. Around the 7mth mark I had a thick awful algae that was only on the rocks. I work with this acid all the time its great to have for cleaning rusty projects. 

Thanks ninja, you are definitely right. Ill need a temporary qt tank for fish.  I know for sure my other half wont be happy about the coral quarantine. Never mind a third tank. He doesn’t share the same enthusiasm for this hobby like us lol

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Around the 7mth mark I had a thick awful algae that was only on the rocks.

Can you recall how you were maintaining that old tank and what its nitrate and phosphate levels were like?  

I'm sure that starting with dead rock was a disadvantage, but that does not cause algae blooms like you described. Usually there are more factors at play. 

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Can’t give specific values unfortunately that was about 7 years ago. However of the three systems I have had, that was the only one with an algae issue. Now of course I know that doesn’t 100% mean the rock is at fault. But if there is even a chance that this will help with whatever phosphates may or may not be in the rock, ill take it! 

Well see what happens with this system. Crossing my fingers! I came close to getting live rock again but the price of macro rock was too good. I plan to add some critters to add some biodiversity later on. 

You can never go wrong with a Waterbox. Excited to see your build! If and when I upgrade, it would either be a Marine 60.2 or a Reef 70.2. Just gotta do more research on both!

• Like 1
Elizabeth94
13 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

You can never go wrong with a Waterbox. Excited to see your build! If and when I upgrade, it would either be a Marine 60.2 or a Reef 70.2. Just gotta do more research on both!

Two very nice systems! I was looking into the 60.2 also but I have a good spot for a 3ft tank. I can't wait for the tank do get here. I just hope it arrives in one piece 😅

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

SO I have a new ATI light being shipped. I installed my first RODI system today. I used to buy water and lug it home. I am glad those days are over. I am also pleasantly surprised because my input is only 13tds. I thought it was going to be much higher. However I am only getting 43psi so I am ordered a booster pump which will be here tomorrow. I have no idea how I will plug it in. I'm not sure I have an outlet over there but ill figure it out.  

40 psi is fine for most RODI systems, BTW....I'd cancel the order for the pump unless you're trying to supply a 2000-gallon tank and just need it to be that fast. 😉 

You got one that for some reason recomends 50 psi.....strange for RODI systems, but true for yours.

Edited by mcarroll
read back....oops

Most folks have 40-45 psi for what it's worth....standard city water pressure as far as I know.  If it's much higher there's usually a need to have a pressure regulator installed.

I bet I could have ran it but it didn’t seem to be running efficiently. I have it running around 70 psi.

@mcarroll Im wondering something though.. it only takes about a half hour to fill up 5gal. Is that because the pressure is “optimal” according to the directions? This is inly a 100gal per day machine. If they are consistent, this is much faster. 

For rodi, you have to measure the ratio of waste water to clean water and adjust the flow regulator accordingly.  For example, I run 3:1 waste to clean water ratio.  For every gallon of clean rodi water, I throw out 3 gallons of waste water.  I run at 45 psi and it takes about 20 mins to make ONE gallon of clean water.

Takes 30mins to make 5gals of rodi water. I didn’t measure the waste water but its certainly a steady flow XD.

My tds is actually lower than I thought. If I wait a minute the input drops between 4-10tds. Output is always 0. 

Is it possible to have low tds from the town or is my sensor not right? I wonder if the water gets filtered faster bc of the low tds input? Gosh idk. 

47AFD5A4-B75F-4E94-809A-4A8D17D39654.jpeg