Top Shelf Aquatics

mixing inverts. in a nano

devaji108

Ok so I might be getting ahead of myself here. but I wanted to ask you nano Gurus about mixing invertebrates in nano my tank that will be between 13.5 to 20 gal  so a lot smaller than I have had. most likely the tank with be 13.5 to 14.6.

tank will focus on RFA  ( hopefully 20+ ) and a few mini max nems and maybe 1 fish for some movement. 

for inverts I am thinking:

2X pom pom cabs 

4-6 sexy shrimp  maybe a cpl more?

1x porcelain crab

1-2 herments

cpl small snails

maybe an anemone crab but I want something that will be out and about. 

guessing I cant keep a fire shrimp in the mix right?

pretty sure I dont want a pistol shrimp as I had a hitch hiker on some TBS LR and it bugged me snapping all the time . 

also open to a small fish or two that will not become RFA food. I like the small clown gobies but i fear there will make a meal for the nems.

was thinking a 6 line wrasse as the only fish would it go after the sexy shrimp?

Those all look fine to me.  Green porcelain crabs will hang in groups.  Anenome porcelains will host.    You can never have a guaruntee that your nems won't eat a fish.  It's all on the fish to stay out of it. lol, but most of the time you will be fine.  

Pom Poms are pretty shy (but amazing) but DO fight with each other over the nems.  I haven't read about them actually killing each other or anything, but if one loses his nems he will wrestle the other to steal away one of his and split it.  

Six line is a bad idea.  They are notorious invert murders.  Sexies might be fine for a while but who knows at one point he may murder em.  Possum wrasses are small, perfect for nanos and a LOT more passive.  I have a tatanka possum and he is awesome

Fire shrimp will be fine also.  Just avoid peppermints since they are nem eaters. 

• Like 1

@mndfreeze yeah i thought the 6 line might be a bad idea I do love wrasse and my 750 will focus on them. the 6 line is a beautiful fish but a known jerk so he out.

so you are saying a fire will be OK will the sexy shrimp and nems? would hate for it to end up dinner or kill some of the other inverts.

tank in question   will be 24x 14x13 = 18.5 gal

Fire shrimp are just a shy type of cleaner shrimp.  I've never seen one actively attack something else that wasn't already food.  He definitely won't mess with the nems, peppermint shrimp are the nem eaters.   I don't currently have sexies in my tank but on my last tank I had sexies and a fire with no issue.  Sexies are SUPER SUPER fast when they need to escape, and if you have nems the sexies will host on those anyway and the fire shrimp will post up somewhere else.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mndfreeze said:

Fire shrimp are just a shy type of cleaner shrimp.  I've never seen one actively attack something else that wasn't already food.  He definitely won't mess with the nems, peppermint shrimp are the nem eaters.   I don't currently have sexies in my tank but on my last tank I had sexies and a fire with no issue.  Sexies are SUPER SUPER fast when they need to escape, and if you have nems the sexies will host on those anyway and the fire shrimp will post up somewhere else.

perfect! thanks for the feedback. sexies and fire shrimp added to the list!  

RFA's won't eat small healthy/alive fish... they don't seem to have a very powerful sting. My green banded gobies would accidentally bump into them/sit on them. They would hop off like a hot potato but no worse for wear. Carpets would be another story...

• Like 2