ReefCleaners.org

Ankle Deep Reef~ Filterless 12.5 Gal

derf9h

A few shots from tonight. Things are really settling into place, even found some random gsp coming out of the substrate lol. I don’t remember putting a frag plug there but I guess I could have. I just haven’t seen them in that spot until now. I just fed everyone some reef roids and brine shrimp. My emerald crab and shrimp were both taking food right off the end of my eye dropper. 

3C767332-D5CF-4EB3-89B3-FFDA6F417F3D.jpeg

F78FDCB5-ABDE-4831-8690-F8C5D581EF2B.jpeg

1F00494A-A235-443B-8075-C7EC578EBAA9.jpeg

5B2061D6-8BC1-430A-83D8-E74A6149E78E.jpeg

07FCAC0D-7628-4039-AAA4-9B8DCC95EBC0.jpeg

• Like 2

So I decided to try to grow some of my GSP on the back wall. I’ve always liked that look in tanks so why not. Cut up some of mine and glued it to the back wall. I did 3 separate pieces.

BB7D3055-9E30-4985-AC7B-19981BD39445.jpeg

018397F3-F517-4AF4-8857-161A9554A27C.jpeg

56C71AA0-BB50-4020-B95F-A22049394339.jpeg

• Like 3

I didn’t think it through when I tried this in my first attempt and glued them in the middle of the tank. No problem with them growing vertically, but it takes forever for them to grow down. Ended up simply putting more pieces at the bottom of the tank.

Just something to consider. 

• Like 2

I really wish I knew how to take good pics under actinics. The attached pics are with the aquarium camera app that tries to balance out the blue, but with only actinics it struggles. The pics look fake and super vivid, but trust me, this is basically how these corals look under just blues. So badass. The orange/red fluorescence of the ricordia is just amazing. 

625DB578-2BAE-4226-BC66-B9DAE6544339.jpeg

E7A51867-BBF1-4ABF-BA14-C2A2D915BCA9.jpeg

• Like 1

I wondered why my Duncan closed up the last week, my effing salt was at 30. Ooooops. Bad thing about using a 5 gallon bucket for a sump lol, always forget to check the water level and top off. 

• Wow 1

Well either my cat or the emerald crab ate my six line wrasse. I haven’t seen it in about a week so that sucks. It’s not on the floor or anything so who knows. Everything else is doing good though. My GSP is starting to grow over my back wall as I can see some new purple mat growth. Other than that I’ve kept my hands out of the tank besides the weekly water change. Just letting things grow out at this point. Still filter free. 

B1C7510A-9762-4B86-AD26-4DBF8A05C557.jpeg

104638C0-0C87-4668-AB36-A68F7A9508D3.jpeg

• Like 2

Well today I noticed I’m getting cyano and green hair algae in quite a few spots. I did a 50% water change and stirred up the shallow sand bed. All the corals are doing great but I want to get these algae under control before they take over. I put my hob filter on with some poly pad and chemi pure. I’ll give it a few days and then do another water change. I may have been overfeeding the last couple of weeks. I’ll cut back on that as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a complete blackout for 2 days and cut down my lighting intensity to 50% over the last week. The green hair algae is all but gone and I’m seeing zero traces of cyano. Corals are still doing great. I’ve noticed my green star polyps on the back wall spreading nicely and my Xenia are growing new heads. Did a 30% standard weekly water change and cleaned the front and side acrylic today. I’ve kept my HOB filter on for now while I keep the algae at bay. Everything else is doing good so this tank is sort of on autopilot for now.

• Like 3

Well unfortunately I am now moving, sooner than I thought. It’s a good thing, but I’m not going to be taking this tank. I posted it for sale on my local craigslist for now. We finally came to an agreement for the house I wanted so I’m making it happen ASAP lol. If anyone is near Ohio and is interested let me know.

• Sad 3

Sad to hear about the tank, it was coming along so well! But congrats on your new house. That's definitely a big deal! 😁

Do you have any plans to start a new system once the move is complete?