Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

what is wrong with my rock flower anemone

smilodon

I had for over 7 months now. it was normal in first three month and then become like that. It is like that 4 months alerady. It eats well when I target feeding it. Anyone know that it likes? High flow high lights?

Thanks. 

here is the link it looks like before:

1725547652_RockFlowerAnemone103.thumb.JPG.b89076bdeef25e7bce3379460b9edb7b.JPG

here is the link it looks like now:

1536681500_RockFlowerAnemone104.thumb.JPG.f123668b2498404ea59072ba1cdf6dfb.JPG

That is very strange behavior for a RFA. I've kept a few and they blow up into some pretty strange shapes, but I haven't seen them maintain an abnormal shape for more than a day. 

It's been like that in the second pic for 4 months??

IME they don't care much about light or flow, they are always happy wherever I have them.

NoOneLikesADryTang

I've got some that love flow, and some that don't. I've got some that love the light, and some that don't. I've found that they seem happiest in the 150-250 par range, generally speaking. 

With all of that being said, as long as it's foot is still attached, I wouldn't worry to much about it yet. I've had ones do that, and in a day or two they're doing just fine. 

• Like 1

thanks for the replies. I will not worried if it acts like than only for a few days. But it has been over 3 months and I do not know it will like that forever or what.

That is odd. It looks like the RFA is attached to a round frag disc. Not sure why it would select that spot and anchor to it. It could be the foot is extending up, because there is no pace for the foot to extend down into. They should extend and anchor into the sand, or a crevice on the rock. It wasn't superglued to frag disc, was it? I doubt it would have tolerated that though. 

From Sprung & Delbeek's The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 2 (1997):

"In any case, when an anemone has a wide open mouth it should NOT be placed in a quiet spot in the aquarium with no water motion. On the contrary, it should be provided with strong water motion that makes the tentacles sway and lifts the folds of the oral disc, aiding ventilation of the coelenteron [the stomach cavity]."

So perhaps try giving it more flow? That's all I've got. 🤷‍♂️😅

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
22 minutes ago, billygoat said:

From Sprung & Delbeek's The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 2 (1997):

"In any case, when an anemone has a wide open mouth it should NOT be placed in a quiet spot in the aquarium with no water motion. On the contrary, it should be provided with strong water motion that makes the tentacles sway and lifts the folds of the oral disc, aiding ventilation of the coelenteron [the stomach cavity]."

So perhaps try giving it more flow? That's all I've got. 🤷‍♂️😅

Somebody's actually doing some real research! 😂

All I have is speculation and my experience with nems...

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, Joevember said:

Somebody's actually doing some real research! 😂

All I have is speculation and my experience with nems...

I'm afraid I'm one of those! I'll admit that I have a few actual books about reefing. 😅

Given the choice I think I'd rather have the experience than the textbooks, though. I've only recently obtained an RFA and it's never done anything similar to the crazy multi-month eversion that @smilodon is reporting!

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Hello, I know your post was from a while ago now but I was wondering if you’ve been able to find out what causes the RFAs to act this way. I also have a few RFAs in our 20 gal all in one system that have been the same way for months and nothing we do helps. They were regular (not swollen mouthed) when we got them and have been with way for almost a year now... any help is appreciated thank you 🙏