Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

A Crazy College Reef- $200 Stocking ideas?

CD_Scapes

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Yeah, I ordered 8 and he sent me 50, a couple of other tiny snails, two hermit crabs, and two peanut worms in cerith shells. You will get a lot of snails. He's also good for macros and rare critters- I think I saw you mention a micro decorator crab earlier? I got one from him, and I love it.

Yeah, i've ordered from him before...might need to do another one soon

December 3rd, 2019:

I made a diagram of what the sumped tank could look like, I still am unsure about if I'll need/keep the emergency outlet. It would be a nice piece of mind thing but I've also read that the back glass might not be able to handle two holes. This is all tentative and I know most will say its not worth it, but I really want to do this so i'm going forth with this. This will not happen until this summer for sure.

IMG_9694.jpg.52b39af35aa4fe5f4c84d45229f4caca.jpg

In other news RA/PAA applications are opening up so i'm going to talk to my RA about becoming  PAA next year.

• Like 1

Another Update:

I've been thinking more about the tank and the idea to get the display sump, here's the equipment I had in mind:

Overflow: CPR Aquatics nano internal overflow box (rated at 250 GPH) [https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cpr-retrofit-overflow-box-with-backing.html]

Return Pump: 160-400 GPH adjustable pump [https://www.amazon.com/160-400 GPH pump]

Bulkhead: Lifeguard Aquatics 1/2" threaded bulkhead [https://www.amazon.com/Lifegard-Aquatics-Double-Threaded-Bulkhead/dp/B0002DKANM?th=1]

Flow Control: 1/2" PVC gate valve [https://www.zoro.com/nds-gate-valve-12-in-pvc]

Plumbing: 1/2' PVC

Seems like you've had some ups and downs but the tank is looking good! The branching coralline is so pretty.

You'd want to drill this tank for an overflow? Isn't the glass quite thin? Drilling glass is tricky if you haven't done it before.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, yoshii said:

Seems like you've had some ups and downs but the tank is looking good! The branching coralline is so pretty.

You'd want to drill this tank for an overflow? Isn't the glass quite thin? Drilling glass is tricky if you haven't done it before.

That's why I reccomended they try the PVC overflow-pipes, no drilling necessary and you can still make a box to hide them and make it pretty.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

That's why I reccomended they try the PVC overflow-pipes, no drilling necessary and you can still make a box to hide them and make it pretty.

9 hours ago, yoshii said:

After watching King of DIYs video I think going with the PVC overflow will be the way to go. 1” weir and then the 1/2” for the way down to the sump. My glass is 1/8” thick so it might be a bit too thin

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Good call I think, you can always make a little acrylic-box or cornerpiece to hide it - even add baffling to it if you want a second overflow weir.

I could use the overflow box and just add the PVC overflow that King of DIY made too, right?

• Like 1

I'd be so so scared to drill 1/8" glass... or any glass for that matter! 😬 The stakes just seem way to high for what you get. I vote for PVC overflow all the way.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I'd be so so scared to drill 1/8" glass... or any glass for that matter! 😬 The stakes just seem way to high for what you get. I vote for PVC overflow all the way.

No drilling it is

1 hour ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

I could use the overflow box and just add the PVC overflow that King of DIY made too, right?

I don't see why not, set the level of the PVC overflow slightly-lower than the base of the weirs on the overflow box and you should be golden.

15 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I don't see why not, set the level of the PVC overflow slightly-lower than the base of the weirs on the overflow box and you should be golden.

Perfect

December 4th, 2019:

I'm thinking about doing an order from Reef cleaners:

Blue Leg Hermit Crab

Dwarf Cerith

Florida Cerith

Virgin Nerites

Zig Zag Periwinkles

Fly Speckled Cerith

Empty Hermit Shells

My KP Aquatics order is kind of up in the air, the idea was

Toadstool algae

Cinnamon Palys

Curlique anemones

Maybe also an order from Live-Plants

zoas

RFAs

December 5th, 2019:

Well woke up and the tank was super cloudy again, I think something died because the gorgs were closed and some of the zoas kinda look melted. Guess it's time for another 60% water change, at this rate I think I'm going to get unkillable things like curly ques or mushrooms. This nano has been the most frustrating nano I've ever owned, part of me thinks the dry sand and rock could be part of it (all my other nanos started with live rock and sand from the beginning) or it could also be the fact I added livestock early too. Its just confusing because I have a ton of diatoms, which I've never had this much before. Really considering getting more macro for nutrient control as well.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, yoshii said:

What do you think could have died?

Possibly a snail, thats about all I have in the tank. Today/last night the tank lookedd fine other than diatoms are taking over, but I heard they eventually go away

December 7th, 2019:

I think I figured out why the tank is cloudy at night and when the lights turn on, I have dinos.....yay :owned:! So, now I'm going to do some fixing of the tank before more things get added...also kind of want to get live "fuzzy" rock from my LFS. Time to go tussle with dinos....after that I think mangroves might be the move

IMG_9730.thumb.jpg.e229908efe167f2ff79a93a255f6d46e.jpg

• Wow 1

Oh my, yes you certainly do have dino's.
Try to get Nitrate up to 5-10 and Phosphates up to around .1 and they should start to disappear, dosing pods and cutting back on lighting can help as well.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Oh my, yes you certainly do have dino's.
Try to get Nitrate up to 5-10 and Phosphates up to around .1 and they should start to disappear, dosing pods and cutting back on lighting can help as well.

Will try to find pods to dose and will up the nutrients in the tank while also reducing the light schedule

• Like 1

Hey keep at it! I have a Caribbean Biotope myself! Feel free to check mine out for any ideas!

I had an 8G Caribbean Biotope before upgrading so I know how challenging it can be with small tanks!

• Like 2
On 12/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, Northwoodsreefer said:

December 4th, 2019:

My KP Aquatics order is kind of up in the air, the idea was

Toadstool algae

Cinnamon Palys

Curlique anemones

Skip the curlique anemone. These are strong stingers and can reach sizes of up to 12" across. If one were to grow to its maximum size and expand, it would fill your entire pico. 😅

Good luck with the dinos! Here's hoping they vanish as quickly as they appeared. 👍

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Skip the curlique anemone. These are strong stingers and can reach sizes of up to 12" across. If one were to grow to its maximum size and expand, it would fill your entire pico. 😅

Good luck with the dinos! Here's hoping they vanish as quickly as they appeared. 👍

That was kind of the plan, make the anemone the main inhabitant and then get the curly que  snapping shrimp too, after I beat dinos I'm going to try a new thing. I want to do my own challenge of stocking the tank with $200 in livestock funds.

It won't be the main inhabitant, it will be the ONLY inhabitant. If what you want is one anemone, a shrimp, some macros, and maybe snails, shoot. But you won't be able to keep any other animals, including corals, because the anemone will sting them to death. And you should very much not put palythoas where an anemone can sting them, since part of their response is going to involve a great deal of toxin. Something of a chance of nuking your tank in there.

• Like 2
  • CD_Scapes changed the title to A Crazy College Reef- $200 Stocking ideas?