ReefCleaners.org

What is best all around food to give corals

KimmyB75

Hello again,

Basically what I am looking for is something good that I can feel corals that is an all in 1.  Right now all I have is a small 2 head Candy Cane and a small patch of Zoa. The plan is to stick with corals that will all eat the same foods so that I don't have to get different food for different corals. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Mark L. said:

I love Reef Roids, I use it on everything as a "general" food ( I feed some corals specific foods on top of RR).  

I was actually looking at RR but was not sure if this was something that was an actual food or just a supplement. Thank you! At the moment, I have been just been letting them have the leftover from the foods that I feed the fish since I feed them a variety of stuff like freeze dried brine shrimp mixed with flake and pellet and bits of thawed raw shrimp. 

• Like 1
GetPsyched2124

I've been using Reef Roids as a general food for corals as well for a little over a month. With my candy cane I've noticed increased growth since using Reef Roids as well and large increase in it's tentacles size at night. 

If you are trying to maximize growth...larger meaty items like mysis or even pellets for LPS with larger mouths...being target fed would be ideal. 

Reef roids is smelly and great for tiny mouths and getting feeders out but larger items will be better for those that can swallow them. 

• Like 4
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

If you are trying to maximize growth...larger meaty items like mysis or even pellets for LPS with larger mouths...being target fed would be ideal. 

Reef roids is smelly and great for tiny mouths and getting feeders out but larger items will be better for those that can swallow them. 

I’ve been target feeding my bigger lps corals with mysis and cut up pieces and scallops and I have seen a huge amount of growth from my trachy and scoly. 

• Like 1

I'd say reef roids. Every dried phyto blend is pretty much the same IMO. I've tried a few. Goniopower is also great. 

I got a sample size of coralific delight by hikari, and it is amazing for making paste for corals. RR just doesn't take up water the same way as it. My LPS loved being fed by it.

I would add on to the reef roids camp. Just dont broadcast feed it. Mix it in a little bit of tank water and make a concentrated solution and let it drop on to the target coral.

• Like 2
On 7/29/2019 at 10:33 AM, KimmyB75 said:

Hello again,

Basically what I am looking for is something good that I can feel corals that is an all in 1.  Right now all I have is a small 2 head Candy Cane and a small patch of Zoa. The plan is to stick with corals that will all eat the same foods so that I don't have to get different food for different corals. 

Thank you. 

Unless you're fairly experienced at this, I'd actually refrain from feeding your corals and just feed the fish. 

Literally, that is enough.  To do more is extra and can cause unwanted side-effects.  In most instances the risk really isn't worth the minor gain, if there really is a gain.  (This is a subject of debate.)

These side effects aren't a big deal if you have experience so that you can deal with or avoid these issues with ease. 

But if you're new at this, then it's more like this is a trap waiting for you to fall in.  I'm here by the trap holding a sign to prevent you falling in that says "Keep moving.  Stay on the path."  🙂

If you want to do something more for the tank, then upgrade your fish food.  If you're feeding dry food, upgrade to a frozen or refrigerated whole food.  If you're using frozen food, upgrade to something live such as blackworms.  Any combination is fine and any form of upgrade will benefit the whole tank, corals included.

• Like 3

Until you have a decent amount of corals, I would be careful feeding coral foods as it can lead to nutrient issues if it's not used up.

I feed reef roids 1 time a week while also target feeding frozen mysis

• Like 3

Thank you all! I think since I only have a 40B and am so new with SW I will stick with just letting things be for now. All I have as for corals are the 2 heads of Candy Cane and a small rubble rock of Zoa. The GSP is wonderful as it does not require feeding. Since there is so few corals, I think I will just let it be and they should be fine with all the different foods available from freeze dried to pellet to fresh frozen. Thinking of next month picking up a Kenyan Tree after I do a little reading on it. The LFS had a really pretty frag for $20, but they have so many pests in their frag tanks that I will not be getting anything from them till I can have a proper QT setup and a good Bayer dip ready. Mistake in the past made. Lesson learned lol.

Also moved the Candy Cane to a low (almost dead) flow spot below the huge rock my GSP sits on. It was sitting below my Zoa which gets moderate/high flow. It would still puff up but it did not really seem "happy" for lack of better terms. Now, 24 hrs after moving to the new super low flow spot, it puffs up more on the smaller new head and the older head is puffier. Guess it may like that place. Time will tell! 

I feed my corals with Polyp Lab Reefroids (once a week).

And I also supplement them with Seachem Reef Plus (once a week - recommended dose).