Top Shelf Aquatics

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
48 minutes ago, Opotter said:

Good for you!!   That was some bull$&@t!   I love my clearview lid!  Good quality lid and they were early on delivery for the timeline they gave me at least!

Thanks!  I couldn’t take it anymore.  Haha.  Yeah, I am excited to see the Exo.  I had a classic on my lagoon.  I just ordered the Red Sea diy kit and I am going to try that.  I tried the BRS one before and threw it away.  My wife has more patience than I do and she will help me with this one, so hopefully it doesn’t go in the garbage.

• Like 1

I have been eyeballing that clearview lid myself. Happy to hear you are finally moving on from the other company. I can’t imagine how long it would have taken if you finally received it but had some type of issue with fitment/quality. 

Also curious to see how the temporary lid come out. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
24 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I have been eyeballing that clearview lid myself. Happy to hear you are finally moving on from the other company. I can’t imagine how long it would have taken if you finally received it but had some type of issue with fitment/quality. 

Also curious to see how the temporary lid come out. 

Thanks!  I am happy to be moving on.  As long as the diy doesn’t bend and buckle I’ll be happy.  I’ll put it together this weekend and post some photos and reviews.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

My longnose hawkfish jumped out last night.  Luckily I was still awake and heard him.  He was behind my stand and a pain to get back in the tank.  What’s crazy is that as soon as I put him in the tank, I think everything in there tried to attack him.  My cleaner shrimp grabbed his tail and tried to drag him off, the nassarius snails came out and tried to attach to him.  It was nuts.  I fed the tank to try and deter everything from being crazy and that seemed to work.  The Hawkfish was breathing heavy but seemed alright otherwise.  

Today when the lights came on he seemed to be fine.  I’ll see if he eats later.  I am actually meeting somebody right now for a big low end easier sps pack.  I got the Red Sea diy Lid today and will put that together tonight.  Crazy night though to say the least.

• Wow 1
Thrassian Atoll
10 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Wow thats nuts. Maybe he has some minor injuries that made your shrimp and snails at that way. 

Post up some photos of those sps! 

Just got home.  I’ll throw them on some frag racks and take some photos.  Huge frags.  Local is the way to go.

Thrassian Atoll

Here’s the new frags!!  Nice big chunks.  The red monti is the size of my hand.  Hard to get a photo of the montis in the sand though.  

Green slimer
Red/purple stag
Purple stylo
Pink/purple tort
Red monti cap
Purple monti
Ora blue polyp monti
Birds of Paradise 
Stellar stylo
Ora scrips stag
Purple/green stag

04AB9B9C-EE1D-4F47-9CEA-2FAAF29F9C1C.thumb.jpeg.326e2be5ad69a5cea5491952f08ea52a.jpeg

D891EF68-EDD5-49C9-BCB8-A30EEC508977.thumb.jpeg.b196f492c838980a36071d9d35f4e90f.jpeg

EAEE3D5C-4965-4311-B505-2B5E9FA80ADC.thumb.jpeg.1e7851a50bcb1d2e86de05426f90d37a.jpegC429C318-6C1F-402B-A95D-0FA739D12787.thumb.jpeg.e81ddde5357fb6dc93c2477939e26bf8.jpeg

• Like 6
Thrassian Atoll

Got the Red Sea diy lid on.  It’s not perfect but it will get me buy for a few months until I wait on my Clearview!  The metal is a lot thicker than the BRS one and this one also has a cross bar.  No bending at all with the metal.  The netting is janky and hard to make tight, but I won’t throw this one in the trash.  

The biggest issue is going to deal with taking the lid off to do anything in the tank.  It doesn’t come with enough connectors to go around the  RMS mount, so I have to take the whole light system off and on the tank to get the lid open at all.  That’s just something I will deal with for a couple months. 

All in all, I can’t complain about for a $50 Lid.  All of my fish are finally in the tank and I can finally start ordering more!  I am happy about that.  

4F9F6B23-6EE2-42FC-AF2F-FBF4C3347BE3.thumb.jpeg.4b0c17d6cdd3de079b39ce5740ea614f.jpeg

DF33A7C6-591A-444F-90FC-34EB76A7C0F9.thumb.jpeg.85cdf3dbba0b55c9343528a925eacd6b.jpeg

8BCC8E50-446E-4E75-B61A-E686E66B0380.thumb.jpeg.b0a6152f47deb42d1c6d17283e063637.jpeg

C4549916-A979-4DDE-8E34-F588F3EE5FAF.thumb.jpeg.8a2d9bcf01adbc72805e697d6d6500aa.jpeg

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Just ordered a Lineatus Fairy Wrasse from LiveAquaria.  It’s suppose to be a large young male.  I am super excited.  This fish is beautiful in photos.  Hopefully it will look anything like the photo I posted.  

I am going to setup my QT to the salinity from LA.  I am guessing around 1.018.  I’ll set it to 1.020 and go from there.  I really hope the trip goes well.  This fish has been difficult to find and now my other fish are out of QT.  It couldn’t of been more perfect timing.

Ill take some photos after after I get him and he’s not too camera shy.  

F9DD73DD-AD49-404E-9DD6-23B9AD161A9A.jpeg.9971499da014386af327119bb64bce6c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
Thrassian Atoll
43 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

That is amazing. One of my dream fish! Really hope you get a healthy specimen and it settles in for you. 

Me too!!  I really hope he does well.  

On 9/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, Thrassian Atoll said:

Here’s the new frags!!  Nice big chunks.  The red monti is the size of my hand.  Hard to get a photo of the montis in the sand though.  

Green slimer
Red/purple stag
Purple stylo
Pink/purple tort
Red monti cap
Purple monti
Ora blue polyp monti
Birds of Paradise 
Stellar stylo
Ora scrips stag
Purple/green stag

04AB9B9C-EE1D-4F47-9CEA-2FAAF29F9C1C.thumb.jpeg.326e2be5ad69a5cea5491952f08ea52a.jpeg

D891EF68-EDD5-49C9-BCB8-A30EEC508977.thumb.jpeg.b196f492c838980a36071d9d35f4e90f.jpeg

EAEE3D5C-4965-4311-B505-2B5E9FA80ADC.thumb.jpeg.1e7851a50bcb1d2e86de05426f90d37a.jpegC429C318-6C1F-402B-A95D-0FA739D12787.thumb.jpeg.e81ddde5357fb6dc93c2477939e26bf8.jpeg

Nice selection, makes more sense to me to get from fellow reefers as well

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
6 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Nice selection, makes more sense to me to get from fellow reefers as well

For sure, you know exactly what you are getting and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg usually.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Have any of you guys talked to Clearview on Facebook?  After the debacle with Safetop I wanted to make sure I could reach them on Facebook if I had any questions or if they had any questions.  A ton of companies talk to their customers on a Facebook.  Did I just get my head bitten off for no reason or am I over exaggerating?  

C282C3ED-56C9-4F24-BBCC-70EFF565254A.thumb.png.162611648579401db5ada38a7cd21062.png

2CF8AC09-1BC1-4BE8-9030-53FA21E0AB80.thumb.png.3bc333f969ce8fb9e17bc34ebd82b57c.pngC5D709B6-D1F9-4FD6-B644-E148A2B6640C.thumb.png.d43999e696bf5876f92632e699f825df.png

• Wow 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, William said:

I would say that email is still the “standard” but that more are using Facebook. 

Yeah, i just thought I was being proactive.  I don’t know about anybody else but emails get lost easily in the million junk emails we get.  That’s all I was saying.  

They could of just replied that email is their preferred method of contact and left it at that. The message just seemed really rude to me.  

• Like 2

Message was kind of off putting and defensive for some reason. But I guess it is all on how you read it. Sometimes it is difficult to get the vibe through text. Could just be trying to give you the full jist of how it works. Hm

• Like 1

Yeah, but what a nut - if you don't want to take the time to communicate through certain portals, then why the heck would you take the time to address why you prefer not to use them using one of those portals? Seems counterproductive for all parties.

Thrassian Atoll
48 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Message was kind of off putting and defensive for some reason. But I guess it is all on how you read it. Sometimes it is difficult to get the vibe through text. Could just be trying to give you the full jist of how it works. Hm

Yeah, there’s definitely going to be different ways of interpreting it.  They didn’t come off very nice at all.  Maybe if they said hey, thanks for purchasing a lid from us or something.  

42 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yeah, but what a nut - if you don't want to take the time to communicate through certain portals, then why the heck would you take the time to address why you prefer not to use them using one of those portals? Seems counterproductive for all parties.

Exactly.  If you don’t like Facebook, I get it.  But you have a Facebook page and you have messenger setup on the Facebook page.  It was a really long winded, condisending response to say you prefer email.  

Just wanted to share my experience with Clearview so far.  

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

In other news, I dropped the salinity down to 1.020 over the last two days in the QT.  Hopefully that doesn’t effect the few snails I have in there.  I have fresh water and salt water ready to adjust to whatever salinity the fish comes in.  From what I have read, the salinity from the California store never comes in over 1.020, sometimes down as low as 1.016.  

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
On 9/22/2019 at 9:09 PM, Thrassian Atoll said:

Just ordered a Lineatus Fairy Wrasse from LiveAquaria.  It’s suppose to be a large young male.  I am super excited.  This fish is beautiful in photos.  Hopefully it will look anything like the photo I posted.  

I am going to setup my QT to the salinity from LA.  I am guessing around 1.018.  I’ll set it to 1.020 and go from there.  I really hope the trip goes well.  This fish has been difficult to find and now my other fish are out of QT.  It couldn’t of been more perfect timing.

Ill take some photos after after I get him and he’s not too camera shy.  

F9DD73DD-AD49-404E-9DD6-23B9AD161A9A.jpeg.9971499da014386af327119bb64bce6c.jpeg

I dunno if LA supplies any recommendations, but I highly recommend readings Sustainable Aquatics' white paper on acclimation here:

http://sustainableaquatics.com/white-papers/

Stress removal, stress reduction, and comfort are the only three things that really count once the fish gets here, assuming he's in decent shape.  Salinity is one factor that barely matters.  (They explain why.)

Personally I'd keep the QT the same salinity as your reef and just make sure it's as ready as it can be.  Naturalistic and cozy, not barren hopital-/prison-like.  Nothing fancy is required tho. 

But as minimums I'd suggest:

• a little live rock and/or live sand
  • some fake plants
  • maybe one PVC cave
  • along with the tank basics like heat, circulation, et al.

It should be a fully fledged, if elementary, fish-only tank....not less.  😉 

(sorry if any of that's repeat info you already had)

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I dunno if LA supplies any recommendations, but I highly recommend readings Sustainable Aquatics' white paper on acclimation here:

http://sustainableaquatics.com/white-papers/

Stress removal, stress reduction, and comfort are the only three things that really count once the fish gets here, assuming he's in decent shape.  Salinity is one factor that barely matters.  (They explain why.)

Personally I'd keep the QT the same salinity as your reef and just make sure it's as ready as it can be.  Naturalistic and cozy, not barren hopital-/prison-like.  Nothing fancy is required tho. 

But as minimums I'd suggest:

• a little live rock and/or live sand
  • some fake plants
  • maybe one PVC cave
  • along with the tank basics like heat, circulation, et al.

It should be a fully fledged, if elementary, fish-only tank....not less.  😉 

(sorry if any of that's repeat info you already had)

Thanks!  The QT has been up for a few months now.  No liverock or sand.  I have a few pieces of PVC in it.  It’s 45 gallons so it’s pretty big for a QT.  I had 4 fish in it for almost 3 months without any issues in regards to water quality or fish health.  

I have been reading about adjusting salinity in the QT to that of the supplier a lot recently.  From what I hear it’s been a pretty good practice with a lot of reef keepers.  Rather than stressing the fish out more acclimating it, you just have to make sure the temp is good to go and in he goes.   This is an expensive fish to test that practice but I am going to give it a shot.  I have trouble a lot doing the drip method and or the pouring water in the bag method.  I have lost a couple fish doing that.  In my mind this is the safest way to do it.

I will top off with salt water over the next month, as I have a closed lid that water doesn’t evaporate a lot.  I will probably do some proactive prozipro.  I need to read up more on that first, but I should get some Wednesday from amazon.  

Thrassian Atoll

Clearview messaged me back with an apology. I told them I appreciated it and understood having everything in one place via email was understandable.  

0C63D313-021A-4ECC-B43D-8795BBC9F457.thumb.png.4000a8dc90e2fe0dfc589fd3ef61346e.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Thanks!  The QT has been up for a few months now.  No liverock or sand.  I have a few pieces of PVC in it.  It’s 45 gallons so it’s pretty big for a QT.  I had 4 fish in it for almost 3 months without any issues in regards to water quality or fish health.  

I have been reading about adjusting salinity in the QT to that of the supplier a lot recently.  From what I hear it’s been a pretty good practice with a lot of reef keepers.  Rather than stressing the fish out more acclimating it, you just have to make sure the temp is good to go and in he goes.   This is an expensive fish to test that practice but I am going to give it a shot.  I have trouble a lot doing the drip method and or the pouring water in the bag method.  I have lost a couple fish doing that.  In my mind this is the safest way to do it.

I will top off with salt water over the next month, as I have a closed lid that water doesn’t evaporate a lot.  I will probably do some proactive prozipro.  I need to read up more on that first, but I should get some Wednesday from amazon.  

It sounds like a fish would really appreciate the minor updates to your quarantine that I suggested if all you have is PVC caves.  

If budget is too tight, I definitely get it.

But a small set of fake plants will only run ya a few bucks.  

And how much do a few little chunks of live rock or a scoop of live sand cost where you are?  Can you borrow or steal a little from the display tank?  Or a friend?  

Compared with the cost of that wrasse ($xxx.xx) it's a relatively small cost for both of those add-ons...close to $0.00 by comparison. 😉 

It's awesome that you have such a large tank to provide for this function! 40-50 Gal is about ideal if you ask me.  What I have used most of the time.

I wonder if you had a chance to read the acclimation doc on the SA link?  Sounds like you were talking about other sources but not that one...but I could be wrong?

The author (a long-time breeder and wholesaler) does address the concerns you stated with good detail....should help make you more confident about your plan if nothing needs tweaking, or maybe even give you a new idea or two. (Let me know if you agree with them or not.)

Good luck!

(Medicating fish is a whole other topic, BTW.  Without making a whole other post all I can say is to be careful, use your own judgement and play it conservative.  Remember that the fishes immune system is what's really doing all the work...and that most meds have a negative impact on immune function.  Use meds wisely.  

I guess that was basically a whole other post. Fail!  LOL)

• Like 2

@Humblefish had a really good post on QT and adding a bit of sand, etc to keep a wrasse much more relaxed and happier in QT.  *If I remember correctly* I think the lineatus specifically some people on R2R have described as hard to QT and deaths from “spinal injuries” in QT due to hitting the glass.  No I have no idea if that is even possible and I have NO experience with wrasses, but sounds like they might be flighty in QT if that is a legit thing? I will see if I can find the posts and link you to them so you can read 😉

• Like 1