inTank Media Baskets

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

Sounds like it could be nutrients, N03's done that to me a couple times, maybe also try to find a source of potassium to dose and reduce the intensity of your lights a tad temporarily?

• Like 1

Gosh I was going to say thats an awesome full tank shot. Can’t notice the issues right away in that. 

Im not sure if nutrients will make the flesh slough off randomly like that. I feel like you would see pale sticks beforehand. And in most of them. Especially the lps. 

No containment’s? Think about any maintenance you did in the tank in the past week. This stinks. I also enjoy this build 😕

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

Sounds like it could be nutrients, N03's done that to me a couple times, maybe also try to find a source of potassium to dose and reduce the intensity of your lights a tad temporarily?

I could definitely do that.  I have some Red Sea trace and test kit.  Those trace test kits suck though.  Haha.  I haven’t done an ICP test in a while, will be interesting to see if I am low on trace elements.  I’ll test for potassium tomorrow.  At least I think the Red Sea kit comes with a potassium test.  I’ll reduce the lights too.  Over 400 par at the top of the rocks right now.

Thrassian Atoll
34 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Gosh I was going to say thats an awesome full tank shot. Can’t notice the issues right away in that. 

Im not sure if nutrients will make the flesh slough off randomly like that. I feel like you would see pale sticks beforehand. And in most of them. Especially the lps. 

No containment’s? Think about any maintenance you did in the tank in the past week. This stinks. I also enjoy this build 😕

Thanks.  Nothing I can think of at all.  Noticed about 2 weeks ago.  Birdsnests getting hit the hardest.  I actually thought maybe a specific birdsnest bug but I don’t think there is anything.  Hopefully something shows up on the I ICP test.  

Thrassian Atoll

I did a ton of testing today and here are all of numbers.  I am using Apex, including Trident, Hanna, Red Sea kits.   I did some tests with multiple things.  Everything was pretty close.  I am not going to dose any trace until I get the ICP test results back.  Potassium looks really good with the Red Sea test kit.  

Temp - 78.5

Salinity - 1.026

Ph - 8.3

Orp - 400

Alkalinity - 8.0 DKH

calcium - 430 
Magnesiun - 1380

Phosphates - .10 

Nitrates - 6

Potassium - 428

Iodine - .045

Iron - 0 

I reduced my light intensity by 25%. 400 down to 300 par at the top of the rocks.   Hopefully that helps keep things from growing too fast/burning tips/stn on any of the other corals.  

Alkalinity consumption has dropped 20% while calcium consumption has dropped 33%.  Nutrient consumption I am not sure of as I don’t test everyday.  

I will keep things stable and just stay the course.  Once the ICP test results are back, I’ll reduce or add whatever it says.  I’ll post the results once I get them.  Probably in a week or so.   

If anybody was wondering too, My maintenance/equipment is really just a skimmer, change half the recommended dose of rox carbon every 3 weeks and do a 10% water change usually every week.  Test and dose nutrients at least once or twice a week, which I got lazy with in December, and the trident control doses alk and calcium.  

Your major numbers definitely look fine. Can’t comment on the trace since I don’t test for those myself. 

Not a nutrient issue imo. I would start looking for any rusting parts in your equipment. Take apart everything for a thorough check. Just one other thing you can check for anyways. Stray voltage too. 

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Your major numbers definitely look fine. Can’t comment on the trace since I don’t test for those myself. 

Not a nutrient issue imo. I would start looking for any rusting parts in your equipment. Take apart everything for a thorough check. Just one other thing you can check for anyways. Stray voltage too. 

That sounds like a good idea.  I don’t see anything out of the norm either.  Pretty frustrating.

Thrassian Atoll

Got my ICP results back.  Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary.  My issues must be due to a swing some where or nutrient issue.  Lithium is “high” but not a big deal according to Randy Holmes.  Iodine a little low.  I’ll dose a little of that.  

I am doing a sump and pump deep clean today.  First time cleaning my sump.  Not that dirty though.  I’ll just keep doing what I am doing and hope things get back to normal.  

So far I have lost my pink birdsnest and bird of paradise.  2 decent size colonies.  

50EFA749-63C1-4C80-871A-55BA8ADF0705.thumb.png.76cfbca2cdd0f5727bd54652ec0aa539.png

5C9FB95E-F510-4BA3-9640-B5EB626C3D0D.thumb.png.89d9280a151a06352d6c3f4c7047c90a.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, Gore15 said:

Wow! this looks absolutely amazing. I guess almost everything is automated in your tank. And I bet it is an expensive build 😛

Thanks!  Lot of money and lots of automation.  That didn’t help keep my birdsnests alive though. I think the nutrients got out of balance.  One thing that’s not automated that I wish was. 

• 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll
6 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Bump! How has everything been the past couple of weeks? Sticks fairing well again? 

Good I think!  

Unfortunately I lost all of my birdsnests, but I actually ordered some more from ORA.  I ordered a flame angel from divers den for the frag tank, so thought I might as well replace the birdsnests.  Should be here Tuesday.   

Alkalinity, calcium and nutrient consumption has gone back up close to what it was before the issues.   I haven’t lost any other corals.  Polyp extension on some acros is still bad, but I see some during the evening.  Mostly my malificent has zero polyp extension during the day right now.   

Knock on wood, but I think I am in the clear and things are bouncing back/getting back to normal. I won’t hopefully lose anything else.  It’s so strange that the birdsnests all died but none of the acros.  

• Like 3

That is very weird. You would think the more sensitive pieces would show signs something was off before anything else. 

Good luck with the angel! Hopefully shipping goes well. I have had good luck with Divers Den. All of my current fish are from them and I only lost one from jumping between a gap of the lid. All fat and healthy- even the anthias. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
7 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

That is very weird. You would think the more sensitive pieces would show signs something was off before anything else. 

Good luck with the angel! Hopefully shipping goes well. I have had good luck with Divers Den. All of my current fish are from them and I only lost one from jumping between a gap of the lid. All fat and healthy- even the anthias. 

Thanks!  I’ve got a lot of fish from there too.  That’s usually my go to.  Health wise and their death policy can’t really be beat imo.  

I should be getting my fish from BayBridge this week too.  Only been waiting for over 5 months now.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

Got my divers den/ora order yesterday.  Flame angel looks great.  3 of the birdsnest look great.  Ponape is a goner.  Filed a claim for that.  Sizes were a little smaller than in the past.

5D8D60A9-5B87-4BA7-B187-8CC36CD5CA7C.thumb.jpeg.12e040b6592b2c35255d980b3e246a55.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
Thrassian Atoll
7 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Good luck with the new additions.

Thanks!  Just have to figure out if I want to put them in the same spot or change it up now.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll
45 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Bump @Thrassian Atoll

How are the new additions? 

The birdsnest are doing well!  Things seem to be doing ok.  Not great, but not bad, just kind of meh.  I need to do a good glass cleaning and I’ll snag some photos this week.  I haven’t lost any more corals, so that’s good.  

I finally got my order from BayBridge.  The lineatus was doa unfortunately, but the gem tang and flame wrasse are doing great.  My Helfrichi won’t come out anymore though because of the gem.  He’s kind of a jerk. I still haven’t seen my orchid dottyback in the tank since I put him in a month or 2 ago either.  I’ve checked overflow, sump and floor regularly, no sign of them.  

Thanks for asking!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bad luck with lineatus huh? This the second one you ordered for this system? 

Looking forward to photos. Gem tangs are beautiful too. Stinks about the dottyback though. I had one in a previous system and his bright purple added so much to the tank. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Bad luck with lineatus huh? This the second one you ordered for this system? 

Looking forward to photos. Gem tangs are beautiful too. Stinks about the dottyback though. I had one in a previous system and his bright purple added so much to the tank. 

The dottyback was a replacement for the one that was strangely sliced open a while back.  He was great in the frag tank, but disappeared as soon as he got in the main display.  

I finally saw the Helfrichi today after hiding for couple of weeks.  So that’s good.  

So he actually told me the lineatus didn’t do well with the peroxide bath he got before he bagged him.  Not even sure why he sent him, said he was already laying on his side.  The previous one was from Divers den.  I am pretty sure he broke his back on the hard cover of the quarantine tank or had a swim bladder issue.  That one was hard to digest because it was passed their refund policy time.  This last was a gorgeous super male too.  I haven’t really talked to him about getting another one, but hopefully he tries again and does a different method of shipping him. 

1D230B95-9EBA-4E4B-BB58-24AFC43332D5.thumb.jpeg.177bfaf6f47b36fe3b7c3d17c76e636a.jpeg

• Sad 4

Everything is really starting to fill in! How are you doing as far as flow now that they aren’t little sticks anymore? 

That flame wrasse is super bright. The tang looks really good. Love gems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1