SaltCritters.com

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
Just now, Ratvan said:

Wow they are so close aren't they? 

Both seem to have green tips and a blue body.  🤷‍♂️  I am looking online to see if I can tell a difference.  Some people claim there’s some obvious difference but they look the same to me.

5 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Both seem to have green tips and a blue body.  🤷‍♂️  I am looking online to see if I can tell a difference.  Some people claim there’s some obvious difference but they look the same to me.

My initial thought was the lower image was forest fire, the orange doesn't look as bright as the top image. Although I've never compared the two in the flesh

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
mitten_reef
17 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

always thought that bubblegum has blue body vs green in FF - could be totally wrong.  If that's not the case, they're the same 😂.  polyp colors are not enough of a difference to justify it.  

• Like 3

Some folks recon' they're the same animal given different names, supposedly FF can be redder and bubblegum can have pinker polyps, supposedly the BG has more sky-blue flesh and the FF has more navy, dark, and brighter-green tips. I'm not sure there's a difference.

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

I would say both are in pretty much the same par in the tank as well.  Top one on the right and bottom on the left.  If I can remember tomorrow I will see if I can get the polyps to close up with my finger or something and snag a photo of each.  See if the skin looks any different from that point of view. 

89A1AB9F-8448-457D-9482-37A835B60D8D.thumb.jpeg.e278184527ace8d8cb2305e8873734a8.jpeg

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Here they are with the polyps retracted.  One is a little lighter In the body I would say.  

0B754BC1-FE82-4091-A22D-A0C9E94999F7.thumb.jpeg.baf9c22045f75ba498bcef766f73c0fe.jpeg

A6C858B0-76A3-4741-B208-EAF21D8BD7C2.thumb.jpeg.d39b7972bf86ddf84d4f3b59d6c3bab8.jpeg

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Cut this out at work.  Figured I would see how it looks.  Think it came out pretty good.

5FF013A5-78A1-43F0-A0DB-7A9B6A5AE837.thumb.jpeg.714b1f4010fef4434099cb4da35bc04c.jpeg

• Like 8

Looks so fancy...makes me think I should clean up my cabnit area but I am limited on tools. I really like the board you have your apex on.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Looks so fancy...makes me think I should clean up my cabnit area but I am limited on tools. I really like the board you have your apex on.

Thanks!  Pretty easy to make.  It’s actually a door too with hinges so it’s easy to get to the wiring behind it.  I didn’t know squat about working with wood but it came out pretty nice.

Coral Kingdom of Thras is actually an Elder Scrolls reference.  I showed my wife and she called me a nerd.  I said, it’s a reef tank, I am already a nerd.  😂

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
Elizabeth94

Totally jealous of your stand. Looks great! 

Out of curiosity, are you running that algae reactor still? Or are you just using socks and your skimmer? 

On 5/15/2020 at 8:12 PM, Thrassian Atoll said:

Coral Kingdom of Thras is actually an Elder Scrolls reference.  I showed my wife and she called me a nerd.  I said, it’s a reef tank, I am already a nerd.  😂

I've been trying to work out why your name sounds familiar since I joined. 

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Totally jealous of your stand. Looks great! 

Out of curiosity, are you running that algae reactor still? Or are you just using socks and your skimmer? 

Took the reactor off line after a week.  The thing is junk.  I gave a decent size review on it a couple pages back.  My nitrates at the time were 20 plus but they lowered back down.  I actually had to dose neonitro the other day to get nitrates between 5-10 again.  Phosphates I dose daily to keep around .05ish.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

I am still battling Dino’s like crazy though.  This stuff won’t go away at all.  I did read something the other day about raising temps to 83 that eliminated it for a couple of people.  I might give that a try down the road.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Thrassian Atoll

Acans looking good tonight.  I’ve never seen the one on the left get the light purple colors.  

3C7E3CE4-6598-4A03-AF65-5E1690F743F9.thumb.jpeg.9ffa98452f0a90d2f99081d8d73c7906.jpeg

• Like 6
Elizabeth94

Thanks for the info! I had an incident with my refugium light the other day. Skimmer randomly overflowed into the light and it poured all kinds of burnt electrical crud into the tank. So I'm looking for another option to avoid this again. My sump area seems too small for a light. But im just not bought on the chaeto reactors yet. 

Btw- tank pictures look great. Can’t really tell you have an algae issue. Your rock definitely looks clean! 

• Wow 1
Thrassian Atoll
2 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Thanks for the info! I had an incident with my refugium light the other day. Skimmer randomly overflowed into the light and it poured all kinds of burnt electrical crud into the tank. So I'm looking for another option to avoid this again. My sump area seems too small for a light. But im just not bought on the chaeto reactors yet. 

Btw- tank pictures look great. Can’t really tell you have an algae issue. Your rock definitely looks clean! 

No algae issues at all.  Just Dino’s in the sand.

look into the Tunze chaeto light though.  Good light and water proof.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ecochic-waterproof-refugium-led-light-8831-00-tunze.html

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

So right now I have every other week off of work until July so I decided to start a frag tank build.  My buddy is bringing the tank down tomorrow and I have started buying pieces for it.  I figured it will be running for some months before I put any corals in it.  I am still trying to figure out if I want put rocks in the sump or marine pure ceramic balls/blocks.  Opinions very so greatly it’s hard to make a decision.  I really don’t want anything in the tank itself besides frag racks/corals.  

The tank is a 50 gallon Zoomed Low Boy Reef.  
I purchased an Exotic Marine Systems overflow for it.  I have no clue when that will arrive.  When it gets here I will have to drill the holes for it.  I’ve never drilled my own tank holes, so hopefully that goes smooth.  

The sump has arrived which is a Trigger Systems Saphire 34.  I also bought a 10 gallon Trigger Reservoir.  I will be using my Vectra S2 pump that I have and my reef octopus 150 that’s sitting on a shelf.  

The biggest challenge is a stand.  I was going to buy a table saw and build my own but I don’t anything about carpentry and table saws aren’t cheap at all.  I don’t want to waste the money for one if I rarely use it.  So I think I am going to see if somebody local can build me one.  I don’t want doors or anything.  This tank is going in my furnace room so looks aren’t that important.  

Once I have everything in place I will start ordering plumbing parts and everything else.  

Here’s the sump and reservoir.  

D89E2FD5-A69D-4131-908B-BA63C4FCA747.thumb.jpeg.0274139efe1db77a23e8a70c08303318.jpeg

• Like 4
On 5/18/2020 at 6:40 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Check out the tunze ecochic refugium light.  It's submersible...which also helps with light spill into other compartments.  Mine works pretty well.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
57 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Check out the tunze ecochic refugium light.  It's submersible...which also helps with light spill into other compartments.  Mine works pretty well.

Yeah, that’s the one I recommended to her.  I have 2.  The lights are great but the Tunze chaeto reactor is garbage.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Yeah, that’s the one I recommended to her.  I have 2.  The lights are great but the Tunze chaeto reactor is garbage.

Cool, never tried the reactor.  Just running some macro in the sump.  I do like that it's submersible...a lot more options that way.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, DreC80 said:

Cool, never tried the reactor.  Just running some macro in the sump.  I do like that it's submersible...a lot more options that way.

For sure.  They give off a lot of light for their size too.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Tank is here and the stand is built.  Just need to paint it.  Going to paint the bottom and back glass on the tank too.  Waiting for the overflow still.  Ordered a bunch of other stuff too.  Not sure what lights I am going to use yet but I got a while before I need to make that decision.  

27E66F96-8593-482B-A8B8-6A0C72687722.thumb.jpeg.99ed188ff15cdfea9e24cbc17b29a3d6.jpeg

• Like 3