inTank Media Baskets

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

Thrassian Atoll
On 9/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, Elizabeth94 said:

Wow thats great. Hope they come in healthy for you. So your best to get some photos once they settle in!

Yeah, hopefully they look good.  I’ll keep them in my frag tank for a month or so and make sure they don’t show any signs of disease.  I am going to keep my qt up and running and I guess use that as a hospital tank if they show any symptoms.  I just made a cover for the frag tank.  The qt has a hard covered hood which worries me a little with wrasses and jumping and hurting themselves.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

I find it interesting that a lot of the corals glow under blues but some don’t.  Pink birdsnest, tri color valida, miagi tort, and a few others.  All are healthy but do nothing under blues.  I have no clue why that is.  

Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Sweet such a great variety of colors!

Thanks!  I should of mixed it up a little more on the left side.  I mentioned above that a lot of the stuff on that side don’t glow under blues for some reason.  

1 hour ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I find it interesting that a lot of the corals glow under blues but some don’t.  Pink birdsnest, tri color valida, miagi tort, and a few others.  All are healthy but do nothing under blues.  I have no clue why that is.  

Just different pigments, nothing really "glows" under anything, they just reflect more or less of certain spectrums which our eyes pick up. Some corals do have structures which can magnify certain spectrums of light within their tissue, others do have pigments which could kind of "glow" if they were met with high energy light.

But a ton of folks -nearly everyone- will see your tank at least somewhat differently because most of the "pop" under blues just stems from your eyes being miserable at seeing blue to begin with lol.

Some corals just look better under whites or don't have as much florescence under blue lighting, not really much that can be done about it haha.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
10 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Just different pigments, nothing really "glows" under anything, they just reflect more or less of certain spectrums which our eyes pick up. Some corals do have structures which can magnify certain spectrums of light within their tissue, others do have pigments which could kind of "glow" if they were met with high energy light.

But a ton of folks -nearly everyone- will see your tank at least somewhat differently because most of the "pop" under blues just stems from your eyes being miserable at seeing blue to begin with lol.

Some corals just look better under whites or don't have as much florescence under blue lighting, not really much that can be done about it haha.

That makes a lot of sense.   I would guess that the corals that absorb the blue light vs reflecting it would grow better if they were all only under that spectrum of light.

Thrassian Atoll

Bay Bridge and I decided to turn the initial phase male and free female flame wrasse into a super male order.  Unfortunately it was DOA when I got it shipped today.  Seemed like it had died pretty quick just from how nasty the water was.  The box seemed really warm to me when I opened it.  He used heat packs.  No clue if that was the issue, but something I mentioned.  I didn’t think temps right now were necessary for heat packs.

• Sad 5
14 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Bay Bridge and I decided to turn the initial phase male and free female flame wrasse into a super male order.  Unfortunately it was DOA when I got it shipped today.  Seemed like it had died pretty quick just from how nasty the water was.  The box seemed really warm to me when I opened it.  He used heat packs.  No clue if that was the issue, but something I mentioned.  I didn’t think temps right now were necessary for heat packs.

I've struggled with that this week as well. Ordered a long fin clown from LA, and they cold packed it because of shipping to Texas. However, our temps have finally cooled off here and both the first fish and the replacement arrived dead, hypothermic. I called and told them it's too cold for cold packs now, but probably too hot for hot packs. Lets hope my stuff coming next week is just right and does well.

• Sad 2

Oh that stinks. Such a downer when shipping goes bad. Weather is weird right now. Where I live we are getting a “heatwave” right now. During the day but the nights are freakin cold.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I've struggled with that this week as well. Ordered a long fin clown from LA, and they cold packed it because of shipping to Texas. However, our temps have finally cooled off here and both the first fish and the replacement arrived dead, hypothermic. I called and told them it's too cold for cold packs now, but probably too hot for hot packs. Lets hope my stuff coming next week is just right and does well.

That sucks!  Yeah, temps here today in Missouri were perfect.  It was 75 degrees when the package was dropped off.  He was worried about night temps, but I think no packs at all would of been better.

46 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Oh that stinks. Such a downer when shipping goes bad. Weather is weird right now. Where I live we are getting a “heatwave” right now. During the day but the nights are freakin cold.

A little all over the place here.  Been mid 70s all week but high 80s this weekend.

Thrassian Atoll
44 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The fish I received this week arrived alive but shouldn't have been, no idea how they are alive. I am calling them miracle fish. 

Haha, hey that’s good to hear though.  At least one of us had some success.  

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

That sucks!  Yeah, temps here today in Missouri were perfect.  It was 75 degrees when the package was dropped off.  He was worried about night temps, but I think no packs at all would of been better.

A little all over the place here.  Been mid 70s all week but high 80s this weekend.

That's what I told LiveAquaria this afternoon when I called them, I have a replacement different clown coming in next week and a DD special surprise and I definitely want them to arrive healthy. They made a note in my account for all their shipping centers to not put any hot/cold packs in for now. As someone else said watch me get a hot pack in a box next summer because they'll all be confused 😝

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

That's what I told LiveAquaria this afternoon when I called them, I have a replacement different clown coming in next week and a DD special surprise and I definitely want them to arrive healthy. They made a note in my account for all their shipping centers to not put any hot/cold packs in for now. As someone else said watch me get a hot pack in a box next summer because they'll all be confused 😝

Well hopefully they arrive alive! At least with Divers Den/live aquaria they always replace doa and you have to worry about nothing really.  I am a little worried about losing my money with Bay Bridge.  He’s got me a little weary.  I won’t go into a ton of details.  Also, he wants to ship all 3 fish together now but who knows when he will get the gem and lineatus.  Since I ordered from him 9-10 weeks ago, I have seen all 3 fish on divers den and for cheaper.  I should of waited and ordered from divers den.  I wanted nicely qt fish though so that’s why I chose Bay Bridge.  There suppose to have a good regiment.

My fish were accidently sent in brackish water sooo... 😬I did get a refund though and now am 'nursing' them.

I noticed for weather, BlueZoo is the BEST... I have ordered dead middle winter from them and they are the one company who personally calls me on my phone to let me know its too cold and request that I pick up the package at UPS/fedex facility so the fish don't go on the cold truck for hours. They do all the arrangements so I can pick it up instead.

It has happened multiple times so they must track each individual package they sent and the weather. Live Aquaria/DD has never once done that. It just ships when it ships... Blue Zoo will let you pick a date and so on when you check out too.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Well hopefully they arrive alive! At least with Divers Den/live aquaria they always replace doa and you have to worry about nothing really.  I am a little worried about losing my money with Bay Bridge.  He’s got me a little weary.  I won’t go into a ton of details.  Also, he wants to ship all 3 fish together now but who knows when he will get the gem and lineatus.  Since I ordered from him 9-10 weeks ago, I have seen all 3 fish on divers den and for cheaper.  I should of waited and ordered from divers den.  I wanted nicely qt fish though so that’s why I chose Bay Bridge.  There suppose to have a good regiment.

DD always makes me re-pay shipping and packing fee's is my only gripe but I get that. Maybe I need to push matters with them....

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

DD always makes me re-pay shipping and packing fee's is my only gripe but I get that. Maybe I need to push matters with them....

Hmmm, I don’t remember having to repay shipping fees but my but I think I usually order enough stuff so I don’t have to pay shipping.  No clue what their free shipping price is now.  

I will take a look at Blue Zoo.  I have been hearing good things about TSM Aquatics.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Hmmm, I don’t remember having to repay shipping fees but my but I think I usually order enough stuff so I don’t have to pay shipping.  No clue what their free shipping price is now.  

I will take a look at Blue Zoo.  I have been hearing good things about TSM Aquatics.

Ya, TSM is good too. Just less to choose from although BlueZoo has less since Covid too.

If you hit free ship the 2nd time then you probably only pay the box fee. If one thing dies though, you need to either purchase more to get free ship or pay the shipping/box fee for the replacement. 

I still order from DD/LA sometimes, but they also have sent me some emaciated/crappy fish that should never been packed from time to time. So I have been trying to find a new vender, not always easy. 

Others I always hear about but haven't tried yet are:

Salgado Aquatics

NY Aquatic

To be honest my LFS is the best place for fish lol... full of disease but they seem to come through dips/QT and live on just fine.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
16 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya, TSM is good too. Just less to choose from although BlueZoo has less since Covid too.

If you hit free ship the 2nd time then you probably only pay the box fee. If one thing dies though, you need to either purchase more to get free ship or pay the shipping/box fee for the replacement. 

I still order from DD/LA sometimes, but they also have sent me some emaciated/crappy fish that should never been packed from time to time. So I have been trying to find a new vender, not always easy. 

Others I always hear about but haven't tried yet are:

Salgado Aquatics

NY Aquatic

To be honest my LFS is the best place for fish lol... full of disease but they seem to come through dips/QT and live on just fine.

NY Aquatic has some nice prices but I have heard a lot of mixed reviews.  Not sure what to expect from them.  I haven’t heard of Salgado.  I asked a few vendors on the humblefish Page and none of them have been able to get fish or didn’t reply besides Bay Bridge.  Really made an effort to go that route and stick to the smaller guys with good qt practices but they make it difficult.  Haha.  If I lived closer to the city I would use LFS but driving to the city is one of the least enjoyable things in life.  

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Random tank photos after doing a decent cleaning.  I need to rinse my lid off though.  It’s getting nasty with salt creep.

0FCB35A9-1262-4614-BB1D-A708FFA64B4A.thumb.jpeg.2906cd713e903dfe799d4b8685b0ad34.jpeg

7D4FEA0D-1FF1-4CE3-BBC8-2CE4F3277A29.thumb.jpeg.7ff74fd6d1b6f2873cc1c335ea26f553.jpeg

DD90900E-9AA3-4E87-AE89-718862390D28.thumb.jpeg.ad400df099f324704e031b1a4ee86e3b.jpeg

2934F4E6-CDD6-4539-8678-0390C80F883E.thumb.jpeg.f7e2dbb0e36c9ba1899e0080aac37b4b.jpeg

099235DA-D2BE-4867-B7B2-FCEA11441DC5.thumb.jpeg.bbd8a2c77981d583e542f08426cdc4a0.jpeg

BCAC7565-D923-4F89-BA4C-E3FF19366323.thumb.jpeg.820525ad127f27d996339b065a2aa377.jpeg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

My fish were accidently sent in brackish water sooo... 😬I did get a refund though and now am 'nursing' them.

I noticed for weather, BlueZoo is the BEST... I have ordered dead middle winter from them and they are the one company who personally calls me on my phone to let me know its too cold and request that I pick up the package at UPS/fedex facility so the fish don't go on the cold truck for hours. They do all the arrangements so I can pick it up instead.

It has happened multiple times so they must track each individual package they sent and the weather. Live Aquaria/DD has never once done that. It just ships when it ships... Blue Zoo will let you pick a date and so on when you check out too.

YES. I was so annoyed and shocked yesterday when that poor long fin clown arrived hypothermic and dead. I was wondering why they don't bother to check the weather where they're shipping. So SOOOOO frustrating. And then they couldn't replace the long fin, so I ended up using my credit for a cheaper different type of clown and a special DD item. But it sickens me that two very expensive fish had to die because they won't bother to just check the weather.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

oh yes. They get their money out of you. And they dont replace the fish they give you store credit or credit back your card.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

Been wondering why I haven’t been seeing a ton of coraline algae yet.  I am pretty sure my 2 tuxedo urchins are devouring it.  I didn’t even think about it really.  I put a small frag rack in the back about a month ago and it’s almost completely covered.  

I don’t really want it on the back wall, but rocks I want covered for sure.  I have some different strands and it’s on the rocks, but not completely covering it.  The return weir teeth are also covered in it.  The urchins can’t get into those.  I might have to toss one of the urchins in the frag tank down the road once that’s starts establishing coraline.