Coral Vue Hydros

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

Elizabeth94

Yeah, I would say so. I have see large colonies that had every growing branch facing one way. I believe in strong flow they grow in the same direction as the flow (not against it). I think it looks neat tbh. 

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll
4 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Yeah, I would say so. I have see large colonies that had every growing branch facing one way. I believe in strong flow they grow in the same direction as the flow (not against it). I think it looks neat tbh. 

Interesting.  Just thought it was a little weird.  It looks like its slicked its hair back.  haha. 

• Haha 2
Thrassian Atoll
6 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Check out the birdnest from this TOTM.  they seem to just "go with the flow" 😂  Man, this just reminded me that @markalot had not updated us in a long time.  

https://www.nano-reef.com/featured/2018/markalot-40-gal-nano-reef-aquarium/

fulltankshot.thumb.jpg.21ec85a2903364f75

Yeah, I see how all the branches aim towards the front center.  I feel like I have pretty random flow with the 2 mp40s.  I could see it going this way, but the random branches slicking back toward the rocks is funny.  Haha.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

Ordered 3 fish from Bay Bridge Aquariums.  They should be here sometime in August.  Gem Tang, Lineatus Wrasse and a Flame Wrasse.  Honestly not sure what phase the wrasses will be in.  I said I wanted young males but have to wait and see.

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll
25 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Congratulations! The tank looks fantastic.

Thanks!  Appreciate it.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Some new acros coming Friday.  Might be the last ones I will be able to fit in the tank.  Jason Fox Fox flame, ASD rainbow milli, Tyree pinky the bear, wwc blueberry

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

Rainbow millies are my favorite, that and a super-long polyped milli; navy-polyps, bright-pink base, oh honorable mention to blue staghorn/slimer (ATL Silver bullet?) which is also nearly-impossible to track down.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
39 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Rainbow millies are my favorite, that and a super-long polyped milli; navy-polyps, bright-pink base, oh honorable mention to blue staghorn/slimer (ATL Silver bullet?) which is also nearly-impossible to track down.

I am sure I’ll add a bunch of new frags to the frag tank once I know that’s doing well and swap some stuff around.  I haven’t seen the atl Silver bullet.  I’ll have to look that up.  

I was also going to buy a frag of solar flare that he has but he said and showed me photos of his colonies and you can’t tell apart one from the other.  Some people say you can tell them apart but I couldn’t with his nor could he. ASD Rainbow Milli vs Jason Fox Solar Flare

• Like 1
mitten_reef
13 hours ago, Amphrites said:

blue staghorn

a blue/purple Formosa is always available in live aquaria diver's den, not sure if it'd stay true to color, or even the same as what you're looking for.  This tnak would be perfect for a couple big stags.  

@Thrassian Atoll, congrats on the 1-year mark!  the tank looks terrific.  

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
21 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

a blue/purple Formosa is always available in live aquaria diver's den, not sure if it'd stay true to color, or even the same as what you're looking for.  This tnak would be perfect for a couple big stags.  

Thanks Mitten!  I have a couple stags in the rear of the tank, they just have to grow!  Haha.  One is on a ledge in the back.  Won’t be able to see that from the front for a while. Here’s a super crappy photo.  The hawkfish is sitting on it.  A true blue stag would be awesome though.  

87519264-BFA1-4EE7-816D-D64FDE393414.thumb.jpeg.8c750da21a16c039ec05357f15d5b04f.jpeg

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

I think I have done a pretty good job of utilizing as much of the space as possible.  I tried to put everything in the back that I know should grow tall or wide.  Maybe the year 2 mark I’ll actually be able to see all of those frags.  😂. The montis are growing quite well on the other side.  I am hoping eventually I will be able to see them peak enough from the front of the tank.  I am terrible at taking top down photos by the way.   I don’t know how to do it without a terrible reflection from the lights.

CB33D8E9-A9F2-4645-B59D-813D643166F6.thumb.jpeg.496b92d59b2b24fbfe3f078fd2e2fd1e.jpeg

• Like 1
mitten_reef
1 minute ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I don’t know how to do it without a terrible reflection from the lights.

When I'm taking top-down shots of just a small area, I usually hold a small magazine (in my case the little red sea recipe booklet) to block the light - especially with phone camera, since you can operate with one hand.  if you angle the shading just right, you'll have enough light for the photo, without the reflection from the fixture.  hope that makes sense.   

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

When I'm taking top-down shots of just a small area, I usually hold a small magazine (in my case the little red sea recipe booklet) to block the light - especially with phone camera, since you can operate with one hand.  if you angle the shading just right, you'll have enough light for the photo, without the reflection from the fixture.  hope that makes sense.   

Yeah, that makes perfect sense.  I’ll give that a try.  I wonder if I take off the diffusers as well if that will help.  I have no clue how it even looks without the diffusers.  I’ve never had them

off.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

It's possible, but since their photo's are browned 9/10 I've never been able to tell, the animal had a dark-navy to purple body with teal polyps and was harder to kill than green slimer. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't tracked down a couple people who may have it, but shipping is awful and I'm a bit strapped for funding even on group-buys.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Blue is a hard sps color for me to find.  I feel like a lot of stuff goes more into the violet range.  I have the Oregon blue tort, heart of the ocean, blue polyp digi and I’ll have the wwc blueberry soon.  I would definitely love to get some more blue sps that will stay blue.  

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

This came up on my feed this afternoon...look familiar? 😀 nice 👍

That’s cool!  Thanks for sharing that.  I don’t ever use Instagram.  😂  I would of never saw that.

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Here’s the last batch of frags I got from somebody on reef2reef.  Jason Fox Fox Flame, Tyree Pinky The Bear, WWC Blueberry, ASD Rainbow Millie.  He also threw in what he said was a strawberry lemonade.  At least I think that’s what the bag said.  Not sure if that’s accurate or not.  The only thing I am coming up with that is Frag Farmers had a piece.  Which maybe it is but it’s a little browned out.  Have to see how it looks when it colors up.   Colors on all of the pieces washed out a little in shipping.  Everything looks good though and polyp extension is good.  No complaints.

AF022F2F-0410-47C2-86DA-DB0A01588797.thumb.jpeg.ccf515b8b70b4d374ac500db848f2adf.jpeg

• Like 2