ReefCleaners.org

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

Btw you only need to treat with prazi for 24 hours if you are dosing the water. Then a 2nd treatment about a week out....there is a calendar somewhere.....

This will lower the risk of prazi then letting it run for days. You can do a water change then run some carbon to remove the rest.

Be sure to have lots of oxygen exchange when using it though.

• Thanks 1

From what I've read (and linked earlier), if there are side effects from treatment it is likely to be from the treatment subject being overwhelmed with toxicity.  

A big part of the side-effects apparently have to do with chemicals released from the die-off created inside the fish by the treatment.  

I'm not sure whether oxygen depletion needs to be a specific concern for this med or not, but having excellent aeration is always a good thing regardless. 😉 

And whatever you do, DO NOT run this google search (but do run it):  qt lineatus wrasse

It's thread after thread of Lineatus wrasse-QT-doom stories.  😱

A sample...holly smokes that's a lotta bad QT experiences at a VERY high rate!!!

Jul 10, 2018 - I am sooo bummed out right now. I have a Flame wrasse, pintail and Lineatus in QT and all found dead this morning in my QT. I have them in ...

Mar 7, 2018 - I came home today to find my wrasse swimming crazy. ... QT and removing the fish may cause a bit more stress short-term but I would suggest ...

About a week ago I received a Pyles Fairy wrasse for my 40 breeder. It so far has not ... Wondering if I should just take it out of QT and do a qu...

www.3reef.com › Forums › Reef Aquarium Livestock › Tropical Fish

I havent seen any LFS get a Male Lineatus Fairy Wrasse that I ... its because my QT goes long periods with no fish in it and it was the only way I ...
At some point I'll have the guts to no longer QT these fairy wrasses but this is ..... I received a medium male lineatus wrasse 6 days ago from Quality Marine.
I treated the QT with a second application of PraziPro tonight. Is there anything else I should ... Lineatus fairy wrasse swimming problems

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
Thrassian Atoll

Alright, so I am definitely going to just monitor for the time being.  Make sure this guy starts eating.  I have a lot of different frozen food options for him, so hopefully he’s a fan of something.  It would be nice if he became a fan of dry food down the road too.  My longnose hawkfish only eats frozen.  

I’ll go from there after observing for a while.  Hopefully he’s as normal as can be and doesn’t need to be treated for anything.  

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

So what are both of your thoughts on proactively treating a new arrival without seeing any issues?  Basically, give me the rundown on when you receive a new fish.  

This is honestly the first fish I have even QT so I am brand new to this whole process.

I prophylactically treat all fish using one of the following combinations:

1. Copper + metronidazole + praziquantel
  2. Chloroquine + praziquantel

I do not consider exposing fish to the above chemicals to be a "good thing"; rather a lesser of two evils being I am intimately familiar with how (disease) polluted the supply chain is right now. I also do not have time to observe for behavioral symptoms of disease in QT, so chemoprophylaxis is what works best for me. Usually by the time you notice visible physical symptoms (e.g. white dots) it's too late to save the fish.

My full QT protocol can be found here: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/404550-how-to-quarantine/

• Like 4

I would advocate a freshwater dip for all new fish. That is the most that I ever did.  It's widely effective according to the literature and almost not stressful at all judging by the reactions from the fish.

it's worth stating that this does require observation, which most new reefers "should be" all about.

If you can't do serious observation, (which would leave me wondering why you're setting up a tank if there's no time to watch it 😉) I do like humblefishes approach. 

Using your own judgement is crucial either way as there is no single, automatically-correct course to take in all situations.

Check out: 

https://srac.tamu.edu/

That is to the southern regional aquaculture center who provides tons of free aquaculture literature. You will see a couple dozen categories when you click the link. Aquaculture is a pretty broad topic so not all of it applies directly to us, but if you can abstract and use your imagination  while reading, you can learn something from a lot of the material. And there are some materials there that do apply directly to us. They have profiles and most of the marine fish diseases, for example.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/

U of Fla's EDIS website seems to have been the main home for free Aquaculture literature before the regional centers started. They still have some documentation that the regional center lacks, but they don't have nearly as many publications as the regional center.  For example, run a search for stress and check out the article that comes up on stress and fish. It is one of the best articles out there for us. Bar none.

https://elibcenter.com/product/fish-disease-diagnosis-and-treatment-2nd-edition-ebook-pdf-version/

You can find many other sources for it, but that is a link to Ed Noga's excellent manual on fish disease.  In spite of the title, it covers all three major areas I talked about earlier: fish health, potential pathogens, and medications, along with other relevant topics.   This e-book is only 20 bucks, the hardcover is about 80 – if you shop around you might be able to find a hard cover for less. It must be a textbook that stays in circulation quite a bit because even the used book prices are usually pretty steep.  If so I understand why, because it is excellent. As I said.  If you keep fish, and you have the money, this book is absolutely worth it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll

Tons of information to take in. A lot of great information too!  Thanks for the time you have all spent giving me your opinions and options on what I can do with my fish in QT.  

I am going to try and get the lineatus to come out and eat today.  He’s been hanging out in one of the PVC tubes.  

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Any updates on the new wrasse? 

Wrasse is doing great.  I am still just observing. He looks really healthy.  He’s out all the time now and eats a ton.  He is still a little shy when I get around the tank but getting better everyday.  

• Like 2

Thats good to hear. Slow and steady right? 

Im in the middle of setting up a quarantine. Should be able to buy the first fish for my system next week. But need to work on my fish list and decide the best order of purchase. Definitely will have a couple wrasses. They are all so beautiful. Hard to choose!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll
5 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Thats good to hear. Slow and steady right? 

Im in the middle of setting up a quarantine. Should be able to buy the first fish for my system next week. But need to work on my fish list and decide the best order of purchase. Definitely will have a couple wrasses. They are all so beautiful. Hard to choose!

Nice!  There’s so many beautiful wrasses, it’s definitely hard to choose from.  Once this guy gets out of quarantine I am going to get a Bartletts anthias and blue reef chromis.  

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Terrible news today.  My Lineatus is swimming funny.  I woke up to him like this.  He’s still eating fine, but swimming on his side a lot. 

The only things I can think of is either a spinal injury or swim bladder problem.  What do you think?  This is awful.  I really thought this guy was going to do fine.  

I tried to feed a skinless pee but he didn’t want any part of that.  I read that is something to help for whatever reason.  I read epsom salt as well to help swelling I guess if it is a spinal injury.  Not sure what I can do.  

• Sad 5
Thrassian Atoll
21 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I hope the little guy pulls through.  I know nothing about wrasses, hopefully someone else will chime in.  @Humblefish had been posting about fish illnesses and cures, maybe he could help.

Yeah, it’s crazy that he’s been fine since he’s been out of hiding for probably the past week and today is swimming like this.  I don’t have much hope of him surviving.  I read lineatus do have a lot of decompression issues from harvesting that doesn’t show up for 10ish days.  

• Sad 1

Look like he was trying to eat a bubble at the end of the video. Hope he makes it for ya ... 

Was kind of hoping he was just acting weird and looking at his reflection but idk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Thrassian Atoll
36 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Look like he was trying to eat a bubble at the end of the video. Hope he makes it for ya ... 

Was kind of hoping he was just acting weird and looking at his reflection but idk. 

No, he slowly flips over back and forth with the current and swims sideways.  It’s not looking good.  I turned the lights and am going to bed.  I’ll update his condition tomorrow. 

49 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Sorry about your fish issues.  I am no help with any serious issues.  I hope someone will be able to help you soon.  Good Luck.

Appreciate it.  It’s not looking good.  I hope he bounces back but I am not hopeful.

• Like 1

:tears:

Check out humble.fish if you want some fully QT and conditioned fish (expect to pay more). A few sellers there but photos and reviews including more difficult fish like copperbands and potters angels and such.

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

:tears:

Check out humble.fish if you want some fully QT and conditioned fish (expect to pay more). A few sellers there but photos and reviews including more difficult fish like copperbands and potters angels and such.

Is humble.fish on here or a separate website?

Thrassian Atoll

I would be surprised if he was alive tomorrow.  He’s a lot worse this morning.  Amazing how quickly things go from great to terrible in the reef.  

• Sad 5
Thrassian Atoll
2 hours ago, Humblefish said:

That could be a swim bladder issue or a spinal injury. Do you see a bulge near his swim bladder area? Is he still eating??

He looks normal and healthy to me.  He just ate some mysis.  He can barely swim though.

982D9129-2CCC-4154-A168-D0C64D138A11.thumb.jpeg.d61688891a23d27a3b0f780ddde5c2a4.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

He looks normal and healthy to me.  He just ate some mysis.  He can barely swim though.

982D9129-2CCC-4154-A168-D0C64D138A11.thumb.jpeg.d61688891a23d27a3b0f780ddde5c2a4.jpeg

I had a McCoskers wrasse that did the same thing one day. He looked fine but couldn’t swim, never got better even after rest and meds for two weeks. 

• Sad 2