Cultivated Reef

Coral Kingdom Of Thras ~ Waterbox 130.4 💦 ~ SPS Filling In

Thrassian Atoll

mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Tank is here and the stand is built.  Just need to paint it.  Going to paint the bottom and back glass on the tank too.  Waiting for the overflow still.  Ordered a bunch of other stuff too.  Not sure what lights I am going to use yet but I got a while before I need to make that decision.  

27E66F96-8593-482B-A8B8-6A0C72687722.thumb.jpeg.99ed188ff15cdfea9e24cbc17b29a3d6.jpeg

that's one burly-looking stand.  also, you're about to be attacked by a wolf, watch out!

• Haha 2
Elizabeth94

That looks like a good size for a frag tank. My other half would kill me if I set up another tank. I have a few in the attic sitting dry 😞 

• Sad 1
Thrassian Atoll
11 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

that's one burly-looking stand.  also, you're about to be attacked by a wolf, watch out!

Haha!  He wishes he was a wolf or a lion!  

The stand is beefy!  I sent the guy who made the shutters on my house a photo of something online and told him to replicate it.  Thing could probably hold my car.  Better over built than under built though.  Only charged me $200.  Thought that was pretty good.  

11 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

That looks like a good size for a frag tank. My other half would kill me if I set up another tank. I have a few in the attic sitting dry 😞 

Yeah, perfect size.  It’s 50 gallons.  48”x24”x10”.  

Mine is going in my utility room in the basement though.  Pretty much out of site out of mind.  My main display is in the basement too, which is finished, but it’s in like my man cove I call it.  😂

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Stand is painted. I didn’t want to leave it raw or white or black.  I chose a dark blue. Came out alright.  I painted the top white.  I figure it might help with light reflection for the corals?  🤷‍♂️  I added 10 leveling feet under it as well.  Overflow should be here this week.  I am picking up a used Reef Breeders Photon V2+ with an Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid System Thursday.  Decent deal.  Will probably have to replace one of the fans. He said it was whiney.  I’ll have to order plumbing after I install the overflow.  Not sure what I all need yet. I need to reroute one of my wall outlets to this side of the utility room.  Not much for outlets in here.  

948E110C-3A2E-43A4-9439-62954BBDFBDE.jpeg

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
10 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

I like the dark blue. Unique color but still subdued. 

Thanks!  Thats what I was thinking picking a color.  Something different but doesn’t scream at you.  Plus the name of the paint was Salty Dog and figured that sounded perfect for a reef stand color.  Haha

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Thrassian Atoll

Well my attempt at drilling the holes in the lowboy did not go so well today.  Looks like I’ll have to buy another one and have the store cut the holes for me.  Don’t want to throw another $100 in the trash.

D4EFA5C6-F35C-45AD-A5C7-0F36148D0198.thumb.jpeg.26d357e8f2217c60712f467fbad48dcf.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
mitten_reef
42 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Well my attempt at drilling the holes in the lowboy did not go so well today.  Looks like I’ll have to buy another one and have the store cut the holes for me.  Don’t want to throw another $100 in the trash.

D4EFA5C6-F35C-45AD-A5C7-0F36148D0198.thumb.jpeg.26d357e8f2217c60712f467fbad48dcf.jpeg

Major bummer. That sucks. 

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Yeah, first attempt ever.  Good thing the tanks don’t cost a ton.  I was using the acrylic template that came with the overflow and clamped it down.  Had the water hose running.  I don’t if I had to much force with it or the tank wobbled or what.  The bit caught at the end though and cracked the tank.

• Sad 2
Thrassian Atoll

Tank has been doing well.  SPS growth and colors have been alright, nothing spectacular yet.  I wish the coraline algae would grow faster.  It hasn’t been doing a whole lot.  Nothing major to complain about.   Tank is almost 10.5 months old now.  

2C94BFDF-2F32-4FCC-A059-05D31B996573.thumb.jpeg.7cd9b14982d637b2c3690baadd6bf5b8.jpeg

• Like 5
Elizabeth94

Oh stinks about the tank drilling. I found that going easy and letting the weight of the drill do the work is the best bet. Once you get the first millimeter its usually easy. Lighten up pressure at the end to lessen chips, and make sure you have something inside the tank to catch the piece of glass so you don’t dont crack the other side haha.  

Tanks looking nice, it will look awesome once you start getting mini colonies. My eye is drawn to that yellow looking stick just right of center.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
9 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Oh stinks about the tank drilling. I found that going easy and letting the weight of the drill do the work is the best bet. Once you get the first millimeter its usually easy. Lighten up pressure at the end to lessen chips, and make sure you have something inside the tank to catch the piece of glass so you don’t dont crack the other side haha.  

Tanks looking nice, it will look awesome once you start getting mini colonies. My eye is drawn to that yellow looking stick just right of center.

I am going up to a store this weekend and having them drill me one.  If they break it it’s on them.  😂  I gave it a shot.  Hopefully this weekend I will be able to order the tubing.  That will pretty much be the last thing left.  I’ll need to hang the light and level the tank.  Hopefully it will be wet in July sometime.  

Thanks about the tank!  Some stuff is growing really well compared to others.  Got a couple mini mini colonies happening on the left side there.  I’ll have to frag a couple things soon as they are about touch.  

The yellow guy is my Walt Disney.  He’s starting to get a little pink on the bottom which is pretty cool.  He still hasn’t grown onto the rock yet.  Almost there though.  Hopefully he starts taking off after that.  

I think soon I am going to pull the trigger on a macro lens for my canon.  I want to take some decent photos to document growth and get some better photos in general.  It’s hard getting the whole depth of the tank and corals with my phone being a 4 foot long tank.  

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
mitten_reef
6 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

19C2274A-D221-482C-9A21-853DA8255A76.thumb.jpeg.81d856d77e5baad830570fde672ff09e.jpeg

love the way those sps are spaced out from each other throughout the tank.  this is gonna grow in very nicely, excited to be along for the ride.

• Like 4
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

love the way those sps are spaced out from each other throughout the tank.  this is gonna grow in very nicely, excited to be along for the ride.

Thanks Mitten!  I am excited too!  Tank will be a year old in a few weeks.  I think this is the longest I have had a tank setup or at least the best one has ever done.  Seeing it everyday makes it hard to truly appreciate how far it’s came along in the past year.  I was comparing photos earlier and it really made me step back and appreciate how much the dedication has been paying off.

• Like 4
Thrassian Atoll
4 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Can see you have put a lot of thought into the placement of the corals, this will look beautiful once grown in 

Thank you!  I tried to make sure I spaced colors out well and thought about the growth patterns of the corals.  It will definitely be interesting how some of the stuff grows.  I am setting up that frag tank now because there’s already some stuff about to touch that I will have to trim.  

• Like 2
mitten_reef
1 minute ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Thanks Mitten!  I am excited too!  Tank will be a year old in a few weeks.  I think this is the longest I have had a tank setup or at least the best one has ever done.  Seeing it everyday makes it hard to truly appreciate how far it’s came along in the past year.  I was comparing photos earlier and it really made me step back and appreciate how much the dedication has been paying off.

yeah man, I remember back when you started the acro-dominated lagoon that continuously ran into problems after problems.  I'm just glad to see you took opposite approach in almost all facets of setting up this time - and it's paying off in a big way, imho.   

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll

Here’s a few of the montis that are on the back left of the rock work.  These guys don’t get much appreciation from me, and you can’t see them from the front but they are growing really well. 

9B642717-40B2-4486-8ECC-B3A83498AC39.thumb.jpeg.ce7e497239e339a402096e1c7af6f178.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Just now, Thrassian Atoll said:

Here’s a few of the montis that are on the back left of the rock work.  These guys don’t get much appreciation from me, and you can’t see them from the front but they are growing really well. 

9B642717-40B2-4486-8ECC-B3A83498AC39.thumb.jpeg.ce7e497239e339a402096e1c7af6f178.jpeg

Reefers here call that the "what else you got section" saved for frag trades etc. 

I do love seeing a plate 

• Haha 1
Thrassian Atoll
9 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

yeah man, I remember back when you started the acro-dominated lagoon that continuously ran into problems after problems.  I'm just glad to see you took opposite approach in almost all facets of setting up this time - and it's paying off in a big way, imho.   

For sure!  Took my time in the beginning, keeping my nutrients up, making sure alkalinity is as stable as possible, feeding a ton.  I have definitely learned more over the past year than all of my previous years combined.  That lagoon was a mess.  

• Like 3
Thrassian Atoll
58 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Such a great tank and so well thought out. I wish you all the success that you deserve.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1
Thrassian Atoll

Do you think the weird growth pattern on my pink birdsnest is because of the flow pattern?  

26D744F5-5AD4-456D-AD42-F3D4886D3735.thumb.jpeg.c50695e8eb5ef5095fa6961bdaa50855.jpeg

78D8E813-0954-4AE2-9454-16B12D848317.thumb.jpeg.de1f04e66e0b5e0c22d851189c77dc8e.jpeg

• Like 4