Cultivated Reef

Cheap Lighting for a 60 Gallon tank - Which one?

DyloHeath

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to gather the parts for my new found hobby, a reef tank. I'm taking it slow. @seabass

My tank is 36”L x 19”W x 20”H (60 Gallons)

I need some advice on lighting, I'll eventually get some LPS coral. (and probably others in the future)

I'm a little stuck for lighting,  and I have a bit of a budget right now.

I'm looking at two lights (would prefer the cheaper version if I can). Any thoughts on these? I'm from Australian as well.

1: 90cm version - 129 LEDS: More stats on the page, not really sure what im looking for exactly.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60-90-116cm-Aquarium-LED-Light-Lighting-Full-Spectrum-Aqua-Plant-Fish-Tank-Lamp/132111758384?hash=item1ec2797430:m:mSHWr-WsG_cl9XJk1j5JAag&frcectupt=true

2: More expensive (300w version), is 300w too much power?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MarsAqua-165W-300W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Fish-Reef-Coral-LPS-SPS-Tank/254186895046?epid=12025268527&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3b2eb836c6:m:mLNZgmRxgVmIeyjJzmLL2RA&enc=AQAEAAAB4BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUqJ0MOBC9zkCE0SpiqgLGK4s3bQP8%2Bo5dJg1zT7IC9s0QmMFUi%2FCqIEZSbM1twcGmXGYSCXKlfFwX8557k9xlYwJoYCTAPYaYQQYUSLSo5v%2BQjf4hKbYwbx7ub418BC62YI1H9TB71nNFe9xxlmloYN3vktR%2F%2Bfi%2FoAM7hLAU%2BWAazpY3Sp%2FknpzdnyvCAA3SlEQ05irUrbJikNew9nNrzRhnGXXWMtZWF%2F54rtKRcBjnAzovPVZVd6LcZGyI0RLamjJP9JLLg6IcXoay6uvHWEZlEF4P1FLbkxWQd98k27gpnv0Yw5l8DqKOFwcCZOPsjigvnbEwUBmsVIy4l2VdWXUFXVaHVJXOibcc09i%2Fp%2BD2VbMmZgfCo2TxIcSVHifDekN%2BWXGK6Y1ETPNhLJERGRGUR%2Fa5IwKKV%2BfZw9O9BohEk3pKZiTucsFw6LGOBz0nONXljOM65usIabCxNg1j4yTZ03Zl%2BwBsHiD2RdTn2T4wb%2BMRDOnCDbccMZ4I0%2BloQzKr49CZbczKDVofPafrJ0zZ7zAtchsgzEhqZJH9lGoPwJp7OGdL4t5bXqzBpsbdu4m6A%2FmBdwU4L14jEhjSL1nJFAR3uWwfWZ3ayzWXqDg%3D%3D&checksum=2541868950469aa170d9ecfe4ab5aaee954170a1851c&frcectupt=true

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

11 hours ago, DyloHeath said:

90cm version - 129 LEDS: More stats on the page, not really sure what im looking for exactly.

Just a quick peek shows:

• LED Quantity: 110x White, 9x Blue, 4x Pink, 4x Red, 2x Green
  • Power: 29.5W

That's not enough blue for a reef light.  Plus, 29.5W is pretty weak.

11 hours ago, DyloHeath said:

More expensive (300w version), is 300w too much power?

That MarsAqua light is actually pretty suitable for a 60 gallon tank (in both spectrum and power).  The light is also dimable, so you can adjust the intensity of each channel (blue and white), allowing you to adjust the spectrum a little.  Out of the two, this is definitely the one I'd choose.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, seabass said:

Just a quick peak shows:

• LED Quantity: 110x White, 9x Blue, 4x Pink, 4x Red, 2x Green
  • Power: 29.5W

That's not enough blue for a reef light.  Plus, 29.5W is pretty weak.

That MarsAqua light is actually pretty suitable for a 60 gallon tank (in both spectrum and power).  The light is also dimable, so you can adjust the intensity of each channel (blue and white), allowing you to adjust the spectrum a little.  Out of the two, this is definitely the one I'd choose.

You're always to rescue. Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey quick question about lighting.

I ordered the 300W Mars aqua.

What I didn't think of was my aquarium brace. I don't want to move it or replace because I've spent enough already. (I've attached a photo)

I want your opinion, should I:

1. Put the light over the brace with a bit of height, and have the dry rocks in the middle of the tank, or will this create shadowing?

or

2. Put the light to one side of the tank and aquascape the dry rocks under that one side(more of a unique design)

Thanks

20190729_201229.jpg

Try googling for pictures of your new light over a tank like yours.  I could be wrong but I suspect you're going to have a very sharp, high-intensity shadow though the center of your tank. 

I think LED strips or a pair of smaller spotlights would be a better selection for this tank due to the shadow being reduced or eliminated and due to the tank's shape.

Sorry, I typed a reply for you DyloHeath, but failed to post it.

Yeah, you'll need the brace as is.  I think the light will be fine; however, any possibility of changing the order to two 165W fixtures?  That might work even better.  Looks like there's a 30 day return policy.

There will be a number of LEDs on either side of the support (so it wouldn't be a distinct shadow, like from the sun).  I believe the optics are 90°, so light will spill from the other non-obstructed diodes.

You might get a series of lines from the brace depending on the height of the fixture.  I have a 165W fixture which I can play around with.  I'll take a pic later today, to try to give you an idea what you might expect.  However, yours will have many more LEDs (on either side of the brace) than mine.

Of course, a two island aquascape is always an option.  Google that, it's a fairly popular aquascape.

• Like 2

As a test I placed a while surface 9.5" from the light and held an aluminum bar between the light and the surface (at different heights).

light1.jpg

As the bar (or brace in your case) was closer to the light, the shadowing at the surface was almost nonexistent.

light2.jpg  light3.jpg

But as I moved it closer to the surface, there were more noticeable shadow lines.

At a couple of inches away from the surface, the shadow was more distinct.

light4.jpg  light5.jpg

I know this isn't a replica of your setup, but hopefully it will give you a better idea what to expect.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, seabass said:

As a test I placed a while surface 9.5" from the light and held an aluminum bar between the light and the surface (at different heights).

light1.jpg

As the bar (or brace in your case) was closer to the light, the shadowing at the surface was almost nonexistent.

light2.jpg  light3.jpg

But as I moved it closer to the surface, there were more noticeable shadow lines.

At a couple of inches away from the surface, the shadow was more distinct.

light4.jpg  light5.jpg

I know this isn't a replica of your setup, but hopefully it will give you a better idea what to expect.

What a great idea to test the lighting, I'm going to test it like you did as well.

Unfortunately I can't return the light because I got too excited and threw the documents, manuals, and boxes away. (That was stupid of me)

So I won't be able to get 2 165w lights, but I'll make it work 

I'm going to test the different theories, I'll start with keeping the light closer to the brace to avoid the extra shadowing.

I'll test with my exact brace and track how the light acts, if it splits I'll put rocks and corals on either side, I'll work with the light. This will make it fun.

I honestly don't know why I didn't think it to test it like you did, great idea 

Thanks, I'll update you soon.

• Like 2