Cultivated Reef

Snails Dying

MylesOleary7

MylesOleary7

Unfortunately there seems to be different types of snails dying in my tank, nassarius and 2 others I don’t know, a bunch of other snails seem fine, it’s a 29g biocube, any ideas?

Check magnesium?  Elevated levels can affect snails.  I also had a flatworm I found once, it was super fast and was a snail/clam muncher.

MylesOleary7
4 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Check magnesium?  Elevated levels can affect snails.  I also had a flatworm I found once, it was super fast and was a snail/clam muncher.

Ok thanks

Defintely need to post your water params.  When you find the dead snails how do they look?  Globs of snot around em? Empty shells?  Sloooowwwwlllllyyy dying over a period of days where they barely move but still twitch a bit? 

MylesOleary7
17 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Defintely need to post your water params.  When you find the dead snails how do they look?  Globs of snot around em? Empty shells?  Sloooowwwwlllllyyy dying over a period of days where they barely move but still twitch a bit? 

Empty shells

My guess is you have a predatory flatworm hiding in there, nomming them biotches to bitz when the lights go out.  Get yourself a red flashlight and start night stalking your tank.  Polyclads can be super stealthy and hard to see.   

We need more detail if you want us to help troubleshoot your issue.  Test your water parameters and post them.  List all the stock in your tank.  Fish, inverts, coral, etc.  

It could just be some are dying due to shock or bad water params, and your other cleanup crew (such as nassarius) are nomming the bodies before you see the empty shells.

MylesOleary7
8 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

My guess is you have a predatory flatworm hiding in there, nomming them biotches to bitz when the lights go out.  Get yourself a red flashlight and start night stalking your tank.  Polyclads can be super stealthy and hard to see.   

We need more detail if you want us to help troubleshoot your issue.  Test your water parameters and post them.  List all the stock in your tank.  Fish, inverts, coral, etc.  

It could just be some are dying due to shock or bad water params, and your other cleanup crew (such as nassarius) are nomming the bodies before you see the empty shells.

I do have a lot of bristle worms 

• Like 1
MylesOleary7

Testing the water will have to wait because I am on vacation but my tank details are 29g biocube, 2 clownfish, 1 six line, 1 blenny, 1 goby, 1 fire shrimp, a rock flower Anemone which I cannot locate, lots of coral, lots of snails

Bristleworms are safe but if a snail died and you have a lot they could clean that shell out pretty quick.  A polyclad flatworm or some other type of predatory worm could be the killer though.  How old is your tank?

• Like 1
MylesOleary7
22 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

Bristleworms are safe but if a snail died and you have a lot they could clean that shell out pretty quick.  A polyclad flatworm or some other type of predatory worm could be the killer though.  How old is your tank?

A little less than 3 years