ReefCleaners.org

Green Hair Algae Solutions

cameron03

I currently have a Fluval evo 13.5 that has been running for around 8 months. I have been fighting green hair algae for the past couple months and have been dosing continuum aquatics Baxter clean m daily. Is it because I don’t use RODI water or maybe I need a powerhead? Any suggestions on how do get rid of green hair algae are greatly appreciated!

656BB485-849A-4112-94F5-E98FB9B9A102.jpeg

Distilled or RODI water are the only way to actually know what's going into your tank, anything else will contribute to nutrient or metal issues and can kill your livestock or cause literally an endless list of issues. Peroxide at 1 ml per 10 gallons can help, otherwise manual removal and water changes with fresh, 0 dissolved solids, rodi or distilled water and salt mix are the best way to deal with algae issues.

• Like 1

I totally agree with Amphrites when it comes to RODI.. As of right now you kinda want to stop it from getting worse right? so using RODi, being 0 tds(total dissolved solids) will knowingly give you the understanding that excessive nutrients aren't being introduced. You can now think about the next step where you can cut nutrients from like food.   

Your Xenia is beautiful! 

I would suggest switching to RODI or distilled for making your saltwater, or getting premixed from your LFS, or Imagitarium Seawater or Nutri-Seawater are options as well. Good water is so crucial for a healthy reef tank. 

I would also add a small powerhead, and I recommend the Jebao OW-10 because it’s programmable and can be angled, yet it’s at a reasonable price point. 

Not sure what your parameters and filtration are like, but it would be helpful to know those, in addition to your husbandry so we can make additional suggestions. Also, what is your clean up crew like? 

On 7/27/2019 at 6:09 PM, cameron03 said:

Any suggestions on how do get rid of green hair algae are greatly appreciated!

656BB485-849A-4112-94F5-E98FB9B9A102.jpeg

What do you have for a cleanup crew?

How often are you hand-pulling hair algae from the rocks?  (Remember you're the #1 member of the cleanup crew.)

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

What happened to cause the algae bloom 2+ months ago?  Is that maybe when livestock went in or when the lights went on?

Unless you know what that cleaner product is supposed to do I'd stop using it....you mostly don't want to be dosing anything other than food to a tank this young.

Was this tank started with dead rock?