Innovative Marine Aquariums

Switching salts

Qball77

So I want to switch salt mix. I started my 16 gallon biocube in February. I used nutrisea saltwater that I bought on Amazon. That tank did fine. I switched to reef crystals in may and I've had multiple swings in my parameters and trouble keeping my mag above 1300. I want to switch back. Looking for suggestions on the best way to do this without disturbing my livestock. Thanks

ChristopherDido

When I switched I did it during water changes. I would however still consider myself a newb, so wait for others to chime in. I'm curious too, thinking about switching over and making my own.

jedimasterben

Have you ever added coral to you tank? If so, then your livestock will be fine with you changing salts, even in small changes.

I just do water changes per usual. You are probably having swings because reef crystals targets high alk. Instant ocean, red sea blue bucket, fritz, LA salt are all popular choices. 

I had the same issues with Reef Crystals.

Low Ca, very low mag, and ok alk, but every waterchange came with fluctuations.

Switching over during waterchanges is the easiest way.

I've crashed a tank switching salts by doing a 10% water change. I swore if it's something I'd do again I'd start with very small and frequent water changed and  progressively with larger amounts. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I changed my salt brands I started 3/4 old 1/4 new, then 1/2 and 1/2 then 1/4 old 3/4 new

and as you mite guess last was 100% new. Seemed to workout well for me.

The owner of the shop I worked at grew SPS like a baller, previous to opening the shop. He literally just bought whatever salt was on sale and did water changes as if it was all the same stuff. We followed the same philosophy for years and never noticed a single coral get upset by it.