Cultivated Reef

getting rid of dinos naturally

neyes_ice

been battling a suspected case of dinos.

nutrients got too low, nitrates been 0 for a while, phosphates never got above .03

pod population became low too, had a yellow coris wrasse before. (might have contributed to the dinos?) 

oversized my chaetoreactor so i wouldn't harvest too often, worked too well. previous chaeto got covered in algae, replaced it since the dinos

no water changes, only siphoning the sand and returning the water, but i am dosing all for reef. trying to see if macro algae will be enough to eradicate the dinos. if not ill stop that too

started dosing nitrate and phosphates, seems to be helping.

cut back on light intensity and duration.

dinos seems to be receding.

read on a thread that phytoplankton and pods will help too.

what kind of pods to i need? 

tried to order algae barn 5280 pods with the 3 types of pods from a different seller (not directly from algae barn)

they said they didn't like them mixing 3 types of pods since it doesn't always end well for the tisbe pods

anyone know an LFS in LA that sells the correct type of pods? i tried a couple and they only sell tigger pods

I got rid of them by doing no waterchanges until my nutrients was past 0.08 phos & 5 nitrate, reducing photo period, sucking dino out nightly.

Seeded my tank with pods and rotifers, started dosing phyto, made a pod condo.

I got mine at copepods.ca they serve the US too

My dinos smothered and grew the most in my macro algae. I actually got rid of mine during the dino outbreak

I detailed the process in my journal if you need step by step methods

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Clown79 i saw that you mentioned it on another thread, i tried to look for it but there where too many pages 😄 can you link it here? 😁 if i get rid of the chaeto then i dont need to dose nitrates and phosphates? its going to be elevated on its own correct? but my concrern with that is it might get out of controll. what kind of pods is needed for the dinos?

johnmaloney

Copepods aren’t likely to deal with the issue for you but people have had success changing the nutrient profile of their tanks and allowing competing algae to displace it. 

6 hours ago, nano_nano_nano said:

@Clown79 i saw that you mentioned it on another thread, i tried to look for it but there where too many pages 😄 can you link it here? 😁 if i get rid of the chaeto then i dont need to dose nitrates and phosphates? its going to be elevated on its own correct? but my concrern with that is it might get out of controll. what kind of pods is needed for the dinos?

Not necessarily. I had no chaeto, no skimmer, and still no nutrients.

Copepods are the #1 competitor to dino's, biodiversity is essential.

lack of competitors and low nutrients are the cause of dino's. They are always in our tanks, just in a dormant stage.

There is tons of literature on the subject, scientific literature. I went that route, there was too much debate between hobbyists.

Here is the link, it closer to bottom of page 7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1