Cultivated Reef

Fluval Evo 5 Owners Thread

falcooo

I know there's a thread for the Fluval Evo 13.5, but I've recently set up a Evo 5 and would love to see if anyone else has and what they've done with the tank. The plan for here is to be a clean and simple bulletproof softie pico. Maintenance wise; no testing or dosing, just a simple weekly 2-gallon water change and replace filter media. Below is a list of the upgrades/equipment I've added, and a picture of the scape before most of the upgrades.  I'll upload some new pictures soon, but am curious to see what everyone else has going on with this very cool little tank.

Fluval Evo V (sealed up the back wall and rear divider wall holes)

InTank Media Basket (floss, phosphate pad, chemipure blue)

InTank Surface Skimmer attachment

Cobalt 606 Return Pump

NeoTherm 50W Heater

RFG Nozzle
Current Marine LED 

DIY ATO

IMG_1075.jpg.10fb7570bfe4b6f16d8a441eb11258f9.jpg

• Like 8
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 8:38 PM, TerraMagnus said:

I created my account today to get in on this.

I’m going to the LFS tomorrow morning to pick up the tank. Stay tuned.

Awesome! Good luck, I’m excited to follow along....definitely look into sealing the holes as it will greatly help with filtration and flow.

On 8/18/2019 at 1:03 PM, TerraMagnus said:

I've got mine set up and cycling now. Is it traditional here to start new threads for new tank projects?

That’s totally up to you. But whatever you do, definitely update here too. I’m looking forward to see what we all do with these little fluvals. 

• Like 1

Big fan of the Fluval evo 5g, this has been my first attempt at a reef. Been running for about a year and 5 months. I also use the current orbit LOOP system with the eflux wave pump, and upgraded return pump. I’ve learned a lot with this tank and it will definitely help when I set up my new tank at some point. Never tested water parameters either, only refractometer for making water. My choice of coral has been eclectic, basically just testing out all different kinds seeing how they grow, the blue mushrooms have been my favorite and easiest to keep healthy. 

I’ve always thought that getting the mount made for this light may help disperse light better since it’d be higher up off the surface, could make corals happier. I use filter fiber, carbon, and phosgaurd for my filter. 

F700BE39-E484-4C22-A007-D19C394FCF8E.jpeg

A3CD2BC1-2002-4DA0-A2AB-5A4111B118B5.jpeg

• Like 5

Also just wanted to add that since the system is so small I’ve definitely found that weekly water changes are 100% necessary, and on the rare occasion that I miss a water change you can definitely tell. 

• Like 2

Will reply in more detail when I’m not running out the door lol.

short version for now is that I also have this, maybe five months as a reef?  Used to run a bigger tank years back.

• Like 2

Okay, finally have some down time near the tank and not super limited lol

Pink streaked wrasse, cleaner shrimp, two sexy shrimp, assortment of hermits that were SUPPOSED to all be blue legs but w/e, two astraeas.

Green/purple octospawn, lavender/mint hammer, purple/periwinkle palys, reverse poker star monti (currently brown lol), purple stylo, gsp, green/pink Duncan, mottled orange/burgundy and black/white feather dusters, and green-tipped fuzzy shrooms.  Purple coralline is starting to show up, saw a bit of teal too, and the new mushroom rock is all sorts of cool colours.

currently dealing with cyano (almost clear) and now a spate of gha, but I’ve also put off a proper water change for a bit longer than ideal right now because I haven’t remembered to grab water yet; I get rodi water at my grocery store, fill up a 11L jug for about s buck fifty and it lasts me two to three water changes.  Most of the algae is likely due to the massive over feeding I had been doing while trying to get my original fish, a yellow clown goby, to eat SOMETHING.

Also, stock light but I’m planning to upgrade for more blue and programmability once this term’s student loans kick in (tuition is due way before I get the loans >.>), 50w Eheim heater, upgraded the return pump to a 606 (just had to take off the front cover than lets you turn it down), running a mix of ceramic media, carbon, floss, and a touch of iron I’m going to pull out soon, using the stock sponge as a holder.  I pull the sponge at least once a week and give it a good clean, basically treat it as a reusable chunk of multipurpose floss.

First pic is current messy sulky condition XD

image.jpg

B7D345A3-A385-47AB-8443-C14680ECB18E.jpeg

3A97901E-EBAC-49E3-819B-247E88F4C070.jpeg

69299E6D-D065-4231-A233-94B73CF66E36.jpeg

• Like 2

I think the 5g fluval evo is a nice all in one system to start in this hobby.

I put a skimmer in the "sump", rowa phos and purigen, also some marine pure gems and I do water changes each week about 10 to 15%.

So this is my nano, hope you like it. Thanks

20190824_110109.jpg

• Like 2

I have a new light! Kind of dwarfs the tank but it was the best balance of cost and reviews that came with wifi programmability; I’ve been wanting a sunrise/sunset for months.

It’s from Topplanet, 165 w, probably going to hang it later today using a plant hanger bracket I have kicking around.  I may also throw a bit of electrical tape over the red LEDs, it goes pink a bit too easily.  Corals are already looking happier, though, peaking at a bit over half power for now so they can adjust!

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
totalimmortal363

I just ordered an EVO 5 for my office at work, got it for $58 shipped on eBay. Now fingers crossed it makes it here in good shape. 🤞

• Like 1
On 9/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, TerraMagnus said:

Is anyone running a protein skimmer on their Evo V that they don't hate? (Or, better yet, that they love...)

Probably the mame skimmer, I don't use it but I've heard it's nice. I use a DIY skimmer and it works really good.

2 hours ago, Azer said:

Probably the mame skimmer, I don't use it but I've heard it's nice. I use a DIY skimmer and it works really good.

How is your DIY skimmer setup? And pics or details? I'm using the surface skimmer attachment that came with the inTank media basket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 1:00 PM, falcooo said:

How is your DIY skimmer setup? And pics or details? I'm using the surface skimmer attachment that came with the inTank media basket.

My diy skimmer is inspired by the mame skimmer, actually is the same set up. I use a bottle then I cut the bottom and attached one airline tube to a wooden air diffuser connected to an air pump. Then I connect another airline tube to my collector and that's all. It works very nice to me. 

15710626721103906827736468573911.jpg

15710632062372525486922972462980.jpg

15710632885302512008492801190993.jpg

• Like 1

Continuing with the fluval evo 5 g. This is an update of my nano. Hope you like it, I'm trying to do it sps dominant and I think it looks very nice after I change the aquascape. 

20191014_082233.jpg

20191014_082323.jpg

• Like 4
On 10/14/2019 at 10:40 AM, Azer said:

Continuing with the fluval evo 5 g. This is an update of my nano. Hope you like it, I'm trying to do it sps dominant and I think it looks very nice after I change the aquascape. 

20191014_082233.jpg

20191014_082323.jpg

Really beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

• Like 3
On 10/22/2019 at 7:56 PM, Snowb34 said:

Here's my Evo 5..just about a year old! Fully modded..let me know if you would like some specs!

IMG_20191010_205956_146.jpg

please please make a thread on this!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Fluval Evo 5 Owners Thread