Top Shelf Aquatics

GREEN CORALLINE WITH DIATOMS OR GREEN ALGAE WITH DIATOMS

CodyReedReefs

CodyReedReefs

Hey guys! 

Tank finally was finished cycling and I stopped by my LFS and picked up 2 mocha clowns & GSP! (Doesn't really look green tho) my question is....I know diatoms are normal with new tanks and will go away with time but is the green algae coralline? Or is it just green algae it feels it's part of the rock and doesn't rub off. Some of the other rocks have specs of purple this one's green. I bought the rock fully cured and live and plan on adding more. Any info would be great! Thanks! 

20190725_143447.jpg

20190725_143434.jpg

20190725_143424.jpg

Welcome to hobby!

Looks like a combo of both green algae and diatoms. Be prepared for all your rock to through this process and diatoms on the sand for the first 3-6 months and eventually the rock will be covered in purple coralline algae, which you'll have to introduce with either a piece of live rock with coralline or a product that has coralline algae spores. 

All in all....the tank process looks in order.

johnmaloney

Yes you have green coralline on that rock for sure. Other species of coralline tend to outcompete and displace it in time but it’s spores seems to settle the fastest. 

What is your light intensity and depth depth of the tank? 

CodyReedReefs

Thank you guys! I used RO/DI water so I know that's not an issue lights are the standard leds that come with the biocube 32. I did test for Phosphate to see if this could be an issue causing since the tank cycled already with a API test kit it read 0.25 I have Cheato on the way so I am hoping this helps with that so I can get them down to the 0.02-0.05 range. I know the API kits can't test low quantitys for Phosphate thoughts on the Hanna test kits?? Also I believe the Phosphate is from freezing frozen Mysis without rinsing I heard this could cause phosphate in a tank. Thanks guys! 

3 hours ago, CodyReedReefs said:

Thank you guys! I used RO/DI water so I know that's not an issue lights are the standard leds that come with the biocube 32. I did test for Phosphate to see if this could be an issue causing since the tank cycled already with a API test kit it read 0.25 I have Cheato on the way so I am hoping this helps with that so I can get them down to the 0.02-0.05 range. I know the API kits can't test low quantitys for Phosphate thoughts on the Hanna test kits?? Also I believe the Phosphate is from freezing frozen Mysis without rinsing I heard this could cause phosphate in a tank. Thanks guys! 

It's good to see that you're being diligent about phosphate levels but and yes there's a but, looking for the ideal level you want isn't going to help with the course your tank is about to take. Btw did you cure the rock yourself or was is sold as cured rock? Starting with any cured, dry, bare or virgin rock will go through a process and it won't be pretty for the most part depending on the steps you take.

Your at the start of the process now and it's a good start, exactly where you want to be and can be expected by experienced hobbyists. Now I really dislike giving or getting advice unless it's asked for, and you'll find many hobbyists will tell you what to do and have to do without you ever asking a question. There's plenty of experience people here with different ideas and ways of approaching an issue, it's up to you to ask and take the advice.