Coral Vue Hydros

Azure Phoenix Reefing

Azure Phoenix Reefing
Another small fish, that is my question 😁

I'm quite aware this question has been asked a thousand times, and I read through quite a few of these threads. However, I'd like to be sure about my individual aquarium, before going out and buying a gorgeous fish, that I should not have bought 😁

My 20g Waterbox is currently stocked with a pair of clowns, a Tailspot Blenny (which I adore really), a cleaner shrimp and of course an assorted CUC.

The first couple of months I had some trouble with stabilizing the water conditions, however at the moment I notice more steady water conditions and after 6 months there is coralline algae developing pretty much all over the aquarium. Am I correct in assuming the tank is starting to stabilize and age? (I am seeing some pineapple sponges and other filter feeders as well)

Now the clowns and blenny are active, but docile and don't bother each other, nor the shrimp. The cleaner shrimp is having a ball following every bit of movement from under his rock overhang. Because I enjoy watching the livestock and their daily business so much (more then I expected actually) I am wondering if it would be possible to add another small, peacefull fish. And if so, what kind of fish? I was thinking of either a Firefish (perhaps a purple one) or a Neon Blue Goby or another type of goby?

What do you guys think, would it be wise to squeeze in another fish, or would it be too cramped up in a 20g? If you guys would advice against it, you're going to cost me, because I might start considering a bigger tank 😇 

I think the answer depends on how well your tank is handling your current load, and how consistent your maintenance is. One more smaller fish would be ok in a 20g, given well establish biofiltration.

• Like 2
Azure Phoenix Reefing
On 7/25/2019 at 9:07 PM, Clown79 said:

You could do a small goby.

Thank you @Clown79, going to the LFS today to see if and which species of small goby they have. 😊

On 7/25/2019 at 10:47 PM, Garf said:

I think the answer depends on how well your tank is handling your current load, and how consistent your maintenance is. One more smaller fish would be ok in a 20g, given well establish biofiltration.

Thank you @Garf I do small maintenance daily, water changes weekly (at least 33% of total volume) and biofiltration should be ok, judging on parameters. I guess my main problem still is overfeeding the livestock, resulting in high phosphates, but I am working on that and perhaps one more mouth to feed will help with that as well.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

OMG Please stay away from the demon spawn damsel!! No matter how pretty they are. They will lure you in with their bright pretty color and even seen to do fine for a week or 2. Then out of no where BAM! They turn into the fish from HELL!! I just returned my small tormentor spawn of satan to the lfs. He was smaller than everyone else and thought he owned the whole 40B. He has taken the dorsal fin from my 2 yr old fire goby, the tail fin from my other fire goby, was chasing both my 3 inch Bangai Cardinal and my 2 year old Frostbite clown. He was biting my GSP and even started dive bomb biting me when I would reach in. The only thing he did not torment was the LTA.  Took me 2 days and tearing down the darn tank to catch that nasty little devil. I will NEVER again put anything in my tank that has the name Damsel attached to it. Lesson learned!!

4 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

OMG Please stay away from the demon spawn damsel!! No matter how pretty they are. They will lure you in with their bright pretty color and even seen to do fine for a week or 2. Then out of no where BAM! They turn into the fish from HELL!! I just returned my small tormentor spawn of satan to the lfs. He was smaller than everyone else and thought he owned the whole 40B. He has taken the dorsal fin from my 2 yr old fire goby, the tail fin from my other fire goby, was chasing both my 3 inch Bangai Cardinal and my 2 year old Frostbite clown. He was biting my GSP and even started dive bomb biting me when I would reach in. The only thing he did not torment was the LTA.  Took me 2 days and tearing down the darn tank to catch that nasty little devil. I will NEVER again put anything in my tank that has the name Damsel attached to it. Lesson learned!!

Not every species of damsel is horrible, there are ones that aren't aggressive.

Each fish is individually different in temperament.

Clowns are known to be aggressive and should be added last but my two were in my tank before any other and accepted new fish with no issues.

I had a pink streaked wrasse which is supposed to be nice but it was a murderer, I couldn't keep anything with it.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not every species of damsel is horrible, there are ones that aren't aggressive.

Each fish is individually different in temperament.

Clowns are known to be aggressive and should be added last but my two were in my tank before any other and accepted new fish with no issues.

I had a pink streaked wrasse which is supposed to be nice but it was a murderer, I couldn't keep anything with it.

They definitely have personalities! I had read that clowns should be added last since they can be a bit aggressive. Funny thing is, my more dominant largest female Bangai is more aggressive than the clown. Lucy (the clown) made a nice bed in the back corner but when the Cardinal decides she wants to take a nap, she will run Lucy off and poor Lucy just lets her have it till she is ready to leave. At night, that is another story. Lucy keeps her bed and the Bangai usually sleep together under the edge of a rock near by. Lucy may not be as aggressive since she does not have a mate. I was contemplating adding a really small clown for her, but had read that can cause the two to end up dominating the whole tank and upsetting the peaceful balance we have going on.  I was planning to take the 29 I did have and set it up as a clown only or seahorse only, but my 8yo daughter wants to do a planted freshwater with it. So, black background and hot pink rock it shall be! What baby wants, baby gets lol. Gives me the excuese now to go get that 15gal tall Aquaeon to make a seahorse tank hehehe!!!  

Oh and the damsel A-hole I had was apparently the Blue devil damsel lol

Edited by KimmyB75
adding content
18 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

They definitely have personalities! I had read that clowns should be added last since they can be a bit aggressive. Funny thing is, my more dominant largest female Bangai is more aggressive than the clown. Lucy (the clown) made a nice bed in the back corner but when the Cardinal decides she wants to take a nap, she will run Lucy off and poor Lucy just lets her have it till she is ready to leave. At night, that is another story. Lucy keeps her bed and the Bangai usually sleep together under the edge of a rock near by. Lucy may not be as aggressive since she does not have a mate. I was contemplating adding a really small clown for her, but had read that can cause the two to end up dominating the whole tank and upsetting the peaceful balance we have going on.  I was planning to take the 29 I did have and set it up as a clown only or seahorse only, but my 8yo daughter wants to do a planted freshwater with it. So, black background and hot pink rock it shall be! What baby wants, baby gets lol. Gives me the excuese now to go get that 15gal tall Aquaeon to make a seahorse tank hehehe!!!  

Oh and the damsel A-hole I had was apparently the Blue devil damsel lol

Oh they definitely do.

My female clown is aggressive with me but not any other fish, bossy with her mate. In my other tank my clown is very friendly with any additions and me.

I really think with most fish it's an individual personality but some fish like the blue devil or dotty's- definitely proceed with caution, they have a reputation for a reason. Lol

• Like 1