Cultivated Reef

M&C 20G Red Sea Max Nano - 1.5 year update

M&C

8 minutes ago, M&C said:

Lol why would I lie about that?? I already tossed the frag so you'll have to take my word for it

Oh rip I miss read what happened. 

I'm a richard 

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Oh rip I miss read what happened. 

I'm a richard 

All good haha, RIP indeed. That is a must have SPS for me so I'm pretty bummed. Only thing I can think of without any weird parameters is some kind of bacterial infection? Or just bad luck as these things happen sometimes. As much as I hate it I'll probably wait a couple months to replace it just to let things in the tank stabilize a bit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, M&C said:

All good haha, RIP indeed. That is a must have SPS for me so I'm pretty bummed. Only thing I can think of without any weird parameters is some kind of bacterial infection? Or just bad luck as these things happen sometimes. As much as I hate it I'll probably wait a couple months to replace it just to let things in the tank stabilize a bit.

I feel you. I have lost a few sticks too when my tank was going through a swing. I think it just happens. Still very annoying and of course spendy but that's the reefing game 🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, Matteo said:

Can i have your scoly? It would look great in the corner of my tank. 

Thanks, 

Oh you mean this guy right here? This scoly? This beautiful reef donut? Nah I think I'll keep it 😄

ssbaPB6.jpg

5 hours ago, Poodges said:

Gorgeous tank.  Your coral selection, placement and color mix are all top notch.  I like the pink streaked wrasse too.  Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words wow!! I'm glad you can appreciate the planning that has gone into our build so far. 

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
4 hours ago, M&C said:

Oh you mean this guy right here? This scoly? This beautiful reef donut? Nah I think I'll keep it 😄

ssbaPB6.jpg

Thanks for the kind words wow!! I'm glad you can appreciate the planning that has gone into our build so far. 

They have the exact scoly at my lfs for $250 they have rewards program that I get 20% off too. Gonna treat myself this Christmas 🙂

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Matteo said:

They have the exact scoly at my lfs for $250 they have rewards program that I get 20% off too. Gonna treat myself this Christmas 🙂

If you wait that long it might not be there anymore... maybe an early Christmas present is in order

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, M&C said:

If you wait that long it might not be there anymore... maybe an early Christmas present is in order

They always have scolys and super high end collector pieces. Regardless whatever I get will be close to 300 probably haha. I have one spot on my front right sand bed that needs a fricken loud ass piece. I have baby bounce shroom in that corner but NEED MORE

• Like 1
4 hours ago, M&C said:

Are you me? This sounds familiar.

My tank is full but now I wanna replace some corals with only super high end corals. 

There's a really good chance this hobby is more addictive and expensive than a herioin addiction 🙄

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Our starcki damsel is here! Bit of a wildcard pickup but couldn't resist when I saw him on the Diver's Den.

Mean muggin. Hope his temper doesn't match his look 😄

2La6EO6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
47 minutes ago, blizzardscout2 said:

Wow, that is a beautiful fish. 

Agreed, haven't seen many fish with a blue this bright. Really striking, especially with the yellow contrast.

Your tank is beautiful and that new fish is awesome! Nice to see another clown hanging around in a duncan too. My duncan hosts both my clowns but they rarely ever spend time in it together.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Nice picture! That damsel looks a lot like a Flameback Angelfish, in terms of colors. 🙂

Wow cool you weren’t kidding, they look almost identical. Nature is weird 😆

1 hour ago, Kayman said:

Your tank is beautiful and that new fish is awesome! Nice to see another clown hanging around in a duncan too. My duncan hosts both my clowns but they rarely ever spend time in it together.

Thanks for the kind words! Same deal with our clowns, they hardly ever spend time together and the larger one doesn’t even let the little guy near the torch coral. Doesn’t seem like they’ve truly paired off yet, hoping it happens as they mature. 

• Like 1

First time making a video, nothing fancy but here it is!

12/21/19 FTS - 5 months:

HIgb440.jpg

Well December has been a weird month. A while back I posted about having high phosphates. The tank looked just fine and even our "0 TDS" RO/DI water had a reading of 0.2-0.3, so I thought our hanna checker was faulty and put it out of my mind. Well over the next month I noticed some of the acros were losing a bit of color and a few of our prized frags RTN/STN'd on us. Parameters all checked out fine. Then it dawned on me that I hadn't replaced the RO/DI filters in a while... I checked and the DI resin was totally spent. So no, the hanna checker wasn't wrong, the "control" had high phosphates (and who knows what other bad stuff) to begin with that the TDS meter didn't pick up on. Bottom line is the tank was running with phosphates in the 0.3-0.4 range for a month or so. Really frustrating, expensive mistake. I bought new filters, phosphates are back where they should be, and the tank is now recovering. The acros were the only ones that seemed to be affected, as everything else (especially the montis?) has been growing pretty well over the past month. New fish has settled in pretty well too, everyone seems to get along nicely.

Plans for the upcoming few months are to just hang back and let the tank do its thing. I want to see acros growing and coloring up again for at least a month before we replace the frags we lost.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1