Cultivated Reef

New to saltwater

Senor0cean

Hey guys I’m new to this hobby I’ve been wanting to set up a saltwater tank for years and finally pulled the trigger ! 

I need all the help I can get in finally ready to start cycling I’ve got live sand and dry rock a buddy of mine gave me a vial of prodibio biodigest i will be adding it later today and see how it goes.. any tips and suggestions are def welcomed! And encouraged lol plz 

I already have a problem once my sand settled my tank still isn’t clear looks like there’s sand particles floating around everywhere just making a tornado how can I get rid of them! It’s only been 3 days idk if I’m impatient or not

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Senor0cean said:

Hey guys I’m new to this hobby I’ve been wanting to set up a saltwater tank for years and finally pulled the trigger ! 

I need all the help I can get in finally ready to start cycling I’ve got live sand and dry rock a buddy of mine gave me a vial of prodibio biodigest i will be adding it later today and see how it goes.. any tips and suggestions are def welcomed! And encouraged lol plz 

I already have a problem once my sand settled my tank still isn’t clear looks like there’s sand particles floating around everywhere just making a tornado how can I get rid of them! It’s only been 3 days idk if I’m impatient or not

Welcome to NR! 😊

it sounds like you are off to a good start. Don’t worry about the sand particles, new tanks can look a bit “dusty” at first. 

Post some pics for us. 

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to Nano-Reef.com and really the marine aquaria hobby.

All I can say for now is read, read and read. There's a ton of info available and any question you might have most likely has been answered. It's a great thing you have a buddy to help guide you through the process of building a reef but as you'll learn and find that there's many ways to skin a cat in this hobby. 

• Like 2

Thanks. I been doing a ton of research before I actually bought the tank I have a pretty good idea but I things will come up with my tank that I haven’t searched for before lol and yeah my buddy is helping but we both started together he’s only about a week ahead 😂

• Like 1

I havent had it take the long , but it just means your sand is extra dusty... if it were me I would be stirring that sand bed daily while I was cycling in Hope's that your filter floss will catch it all. Just change your filter floss as it catches it. what sucks is when you gave fish and coral in there and go to clean the sand bed then you cloud up your tank.  

• Like 1

Stirring the sand daily will help reduce the amount of dust left in it and prevent future issues, especially if it wasn't rinsed prior to use.

Changing filter floss more often during cycling will also help 

Adding an ammonia source like Dr Tim's will help kick start the cycle

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys! I moved my return nozzle a bit pointing up and it starting clearing a lot I guess I wasn’t getting good enough surface agitation but I will def stir the sand bed it’s been almost a week and I haven’t touched the sand since I put it in I didn’t rinse it since it was live sand I didn’t want to lose any bacteria from it