Coral Vue Hydros

New To Nano Reef - Can I use a top filter as my sump?

DyloHeath

Hey everyone,

I'm completely new to nano reefing and I'm not even sure if I'm asking this question correctly.

I recently purchased a tank similar to this https://www.aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16-04-47-04/2015-04-16-06-00-17/aquariums/aquastyle-2/item/2938-52017gwh

(The AquaStyle 980)

Can I use the top filter (its in the lid on top of the tank) as a sump? 

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I live in Australia and I'm finding it hard to find a cheap second tank for a sump or a kit to drill holes in the tank for an internal overflow box.

Any advice would be appreciated.

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm not sure if I understand how the canopy filter is setup, or how it might possibly be modified.  I'd probably use the filter as originally intended.  A sump certainly isn't required for a 57 gallon tank.

I'm more concerned about the lighting.  Do you have more information about the lights and spectrum?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, seabass said:

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

I'm not sure if I understand how the canopy filter is setup, or how it might possibly be modified.  I'd probably use the filter as originally intended.  A sump certainly isn't required for a 57 gallon tank.

I'm more concerned about the lighting.  Do you have more information about the lights and spectrum?

Thanks for the welcome!  I'll be here for a while.

1. Wait, I don't even need a sump for a 57 gallon tank? I keep hearing that you need it. Would I use a canister or the filter it came with?

2. I was going to replace the lighting with this (using mainly soft corals) and some clown fish for my first tank:

SMD5730 LEDs with 5 colors

Control modes: All LEDs On / Only Blue LEDs On / Close

Lumen : 6678

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60-90-116cm-Aquarium-LED-Light-Lighting-Full-Spectrum-Aqua-Plant-Fish-Tank-Lamp/132111758384?hash=item1ec2797430:m:mSHWr-WsG_cl9XJk1j5JAag&frcectupt=true

The 90 CM version (this one fits my tank)

3. While I have you here, would you recommend one or two wavemakers for the tank, I'll be using mainly soft corals. (I currently have  one that produces 1320.86 GPH)

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Can you post a pic of the filter area? We can help better knowing how it's set up

Sure, I'll post  one after work for you!

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

1. Wait, I don't even need a sump for a 57 gallon tank? I keep hearing that you need it. Would I use a canister or the filter it came with?

Definitely no need for a sump.  You don't even "need" a filter; however, a HOB filter or even the canopy filter should suffice for some basic mechanical filtration.  You could add some activated carbon, but live rock in the display will act as your biological filter.

Some people use canister filters.  However, they tend to be a bit harder to maintain than a HOB filter.  There are even some excellent examples of filterless reefs, like from @WV Reefer.

43 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

2. I was going to replace the lighting with this (using mainly soft corals) and some clown fish for my first tank... The 90 CM version (this one fits my tank)

Good I kind of figured the stock lighting wouldn't cut it.  I take it that you'll have to lose the canopy in favor of the new light.

44 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

3. While I have you here, would you recommend one or two wavemakers for the tank, I'll be using mainly soft corals. (I currently have  one that produces 1320.86 GPH)

I generally like two sources of flow, but it isn't required.  1320GPH is a bit more than 20 times turnover (which is basically a minimum).  What I'd do, is add a HOB filter for additional flow.  That should get you in a pretty good place.

• Like 2
On 7/25/2019 at 7:36 AM, seabass said:

Definitely no need for a sump.  You don't even "need" a filter; however, a HOB filter or even the canopy filter should suffice for some basic mechanical filtration.  You could add some activated carbon, but live rock in the display will act as your biological filter.

Some people use canister filters.  However, they tend to be a bit harder to maintain than a HOB filter.  There are even some excellent examples of filterless reefs, like from @WV Reefer.

Good I kind of figured the stock lighting wouldn't cut it.  I take it that you'll have to lose the canopy in favor of the new light.

I generally like two sources of flow, but it isn't required.  1320GPH is a bit more than 20 times turnover (which is basically a minimum).  What I'd do, is add a HOB filter for additional flow.  That should get you in a pretty good place.

Sorry for the late reply, has been a busy weekend.

I'm going to go with your suggestion of a HOB filter and see how it goes.

• Like 1

That is what I use on my 40B is a HOB Fluval 110. All I put in it is filter floss and a bit of carbon for water polishing. The rock and substrate is my biological filtration. I had even played with the idea of using a small acrylic dish sponge holder to place a small amount of chaeto under the edge of the return flow to keep it tumbling. I can occasionally pull it out to trim it up and toss it out or give it away.

7 hours ago, KimmyB75 said:

That is what I use on my 40B is a HOB Fluval 110. All I put in it is filter floss and a bit of carbon for water polishing. The rock and substrate is my biological filtration. I had even played with the idea of using a small acrylic dish sponge holder to place a small amount of chaeto under the edge of the return flow to keep it tumbling. I can occasionally pull it out to trim it up and toss it out or give it away.

Is 40B meant to be 40g as in gallon?

I looked up that HOB and it says its for tanks between 60-120 gallons, seems like a powerful filter for my tank. Am I thinking wrong ?

You think I could get the next version dowm and be okay ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DyloHeath said:

Is 40B meant to be 40g as in gallon?

Yeah, the B stands for breeder (to differentiate it from the 40 Long).  But it's actually closer to a 47 gallon tank.

• Like 1

So sorry for not responding! I was dealing with a constipated fish issue lol. Yes, the 40B stands for Breeder which differentiates it from the regular 40 gallon tank. The 40B is shorter but wider where the regular 40 is taller but not as wide. (Basically what Seabass said above lol) The reason for such a powerful filter for is for the extra flow which eliminates the need for 2 wave makers. When it was on my 29g, I didn't even need a wave maker. Now I have 1 small wave maker on the opposite corner since the filter is on the far end just to add more cross flow so things will sway both directions.

Oh, and I checked out the link you included. That is a beautiful tank. You will enjoy it. It is a really great size for the hobby. If yours is a 215L or 56g tank as well, I suggest to stick with something with a similar flow rating like mine or you can go with one closer rated to your tank size and just have the wave makers. That is completely your choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I’m new to marine aquariums and also trying to find out about filtration etc, what did you go within the end? I’m debating a canister filter for my 150litre/33 gallon tank as my LFS has been using a canister with no sump/skimmer on their main display aquarium for 2 years!

4 hours ago, Tazjunky said:

Hi, I’m new to marine aquariums and also trying to find out about filtration etc, what did you go within the end? I’m debating a canister filter for my 150litre/33 gallon tank as my LFS has been using a canister with no sump/skimmer on their main display aquarium for 2 years!

You would be best by going with a HOB (hang on back) filter over canister. Yes you can use a canister if chose to do so, but in saltwater they are a real pain in the butt to clean. You don't need a sump/skimmer on a nano tank in all honesty. It is actually a bit overkill unless you just really prefer it. With a HOB, cleaning is a lot easier. I use a HOB on my 40B and it is rated to filter more than my tank volume so that my bioload is sure to be cleared. It also adds more water flow. At the moment, I am now using 2 wave makers that turn 320gph each and have my filter set at 60gph since it is adjustable. I am only turning over my volume about 18 times an hr but the corals I have do not like high flow. At this turn over volume, it is on the higher end of low flow almost on the lower end of medium. As soon as my last coral finished acclimating, I plan to turn up the filter flow so that I am turning over closer to 20gph to make is between medium and low flow.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tazjunky said:

Hey! Welcome

I ended up buying a hang on filter (aquaclear 70) and modifying it to also have a refugium in it.

For media I only use carbon and filter floss.

Ill add a photo, it works great for a budget 

There is a before and after, sorry it's a top view of the final result

I used the plastic it came with to build the refugium walls, let me know if you want me to send the guide I used

20190828_111839.jpg

20190810_204131.jpg

20190828_111849.jpg