TatorTaco

Tator's Pico Pest Tank

TatorTaco

Inspired by the likes of @Draco and @Islandoftiki, I wanted to create a pest/hitchiker pico tank. 

TDLDzla.jpg

Tank:

DOB:  6/1/2019

LifeGard Quatics Crystal Aquarium (4.14 gallons) from Amazon

Cobalt MJ 606 Return Pump

AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO

AI Prime LED

Livestock:

Yellow Clown Goby (Banana)

4 hermit crabs

10ish stomatella snails

4 asterina starfish

3 bristleworms

Pests:

2ish Green mojano anemones

7ish Pink Tipped "Tulip" mojano anemones

Bryopsis

Chaeto

2 Frags of pulsing xenia

2 aptasia

2 kenya trees

Unknown paly frag

Another paly frag.  Unicorn Fart Dust or something.  I can't seem to kill it.  

Random striped discoma mushroom

My original plan was to stock it full of Majano AKA "Tulip" anemones and a mantis shrimp.  The mantis didn't work out but the saga can be found here.  I wanted an easy fish that'd be comfortable in such a small tank for it's entire lifespan, so I picked up a Yellow Clown Goby and named him Banana.  Well, it looks as though I won't have much luck with Banana either, as he refuses to eat regardless of what food is offered.

More pests will be added as I find them.  Most local reefers and my LFS instantly dip their corals before inspection, so I'm just scouring the interwebs looking for folks that have pest and are willing to ship me stuff.  

Things I'm actively searching for are clove polyps, red discoma mushroom, some sort of ravenous caulerpa algae. If you have any of the above, I'd love to hear from you. 

• Like 1

Pjanssen

Interesting. Even when I was battling Bryopsis, I thought it was really a pretty algae and too bad its so aggressive.

• Like 1

Draco

Ohh, I love this!! I will def be following!

Unfortunately I shut down my own pest tank. it crashed and I just didn't have time to keep up with it anymore at work, it was fun while it lasts and I do hope you enjoy yours as much as I did!

as for clown goby eating, I had 2 and they ONLY ate frozen brine and mysis. They would not eat pellets or anything else

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TatorTaco

Ordered “a little bit” of invasive Caulerpa Mexicana and Caulerpa Pacifica from Live-Plants.com. Not quite sure what I’m going to do with the other 99% that I don’t need for my pest tank. Lol. 

What are are the odds this will kill my tank in the next few days while I figure out where to offload it?

273BC510-3A6E-405D-918E-B2D76FA72A42.jpeg

2D3C371D-9E44-4EFE-A212-78D48874CEC6.jpeg

• Haha 2

billygoat
6 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Ordered “a little bit” of invasive Caulerpa Mexicana and Caulerpa Pacifica from Live-Plants.com.

Good old GCE! They sure do load you up with macros! 😂

So that's a lot of biomass to be adding all at once, that's for sure. One thing I would be concerned about with such a large amount of algae in such a small volume of water is that the cycles of photosynthesis during the day and respiration during the night are likely to have a profound effect on the amount of dissolved CO2 in the water and therefore also on pH. This may not actually matter much though, since everything else in this pico is also invasive and therefore probably quite resistant to rapid changes in water parameters.

Honestly it would be pretty cool if you found a way to jam all that algae in there permanently. If anyone asks, just say it's an educational display designed to illustrate the dangers of throwing Caulerpa into the ocean in regions where it doesn't belong. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TatorTaco

I hate to buy this and immediately toss most of it, but I think that’s probably what I’ll do. Maybe I can put it off until this weekend? 

I might pull it and it and toss it in some saltwater and leave in the carport tonight. I’d rather the algae die than the tank getting nuked. It’s blocking all the light so everything was closed last night except the majano nems.

Ratvan
2 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I hate to buy this and immediately toss most of it, but I think that’s probably what I’ll do. Maybe I can put it off until this weekend? 

I might pull it and it and toss it in some saltwater and leave in the carport tonight. I’d rather the algae die than the tank getting nuked. It’s blocking all the light so everything was closed last night except the majano nems.

you got an air stone and bucket? 

TatorTaco
Just now, Ratvan said:

you got an air stone and bucket? 

Yup!

• Like 1

Ratvan
1 minute ago, TatorTaco said:

Yup!

All the algae really needs is flow (Airstone will do) and Light. And Water. 

I need to do this myself to sort out the bits that are dying off

• Thanks 1

TatorTaco

Should I be terribly concerned with temperature for algae? I could leave it outside for light, but it’s stupid hot. Or, I could leave it inside but it won’t get very much light. 

Ir, I could just toss it and wouldn’t have any issues. 

Ratvan
1 minute ago, TatorTaco said:

Should I be terribly concerned with temperature for algae? I could leave it outside for light, but it’s stupid hot. Or, I could leave it inside but it won’t get very much light. 

Ir, I could just toss it and wouldn’t have any issues. 

I think Caulerpa grows between 15C and 39C (60F-102F) naturally

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10811-014-0358-7

• Thanks 1