Innovative Marine Aquariums

New All in One, Worth the Time?

ForteTu

I've kept fresh water fish, primarily cichlids, for over 15 years. My wife always pesters me to do a saltwater setup. As a lazy person who likes to do water changes straight from the tap, I typically ignore her. At an auction this weekend, I picked up a 9.98 gallon Lifegard Crystall 9.98 Gallon Aquarium with Built-In Back Filter and a Lifegard Full Spectrum Light all for $40. I thought a nano reef tank may be fun and have just started researching. After an hour looking online and watching youtube videos, this site got a plug. Now it seems I'm finally heading in the right direction. Before I begin months of research and years of trying to grow out corals to get a nice looking tank, I want to know if the tank I bought is even appropriate for a nano-reef. Is a protein skimmer mandatory? Do I need some type of power head? Also, it's an open top tank. Although it'll require more work to top off more frequently, does this make it a deal breaker?

Mostly, with water parameters being more difficult to keep stable in a nano tank, is it even worth my time as a SW Noob to start the endeavor.

Thanks,

Tim

IMG_3500.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

• Like 1

There are tons of new hobbyists that start off with nano's.

Skimmers aren't necessary but powerheads most often are unless you upgrade the return pump and use RFG nozzles or spin stream nozzles.

The best advice is do a ton of research, go through TOTM's, member journals, stickied threads. 

• Like 2

That tank is perfectly fine for a nano.  A skimmer is not mandatory. I would advice on getting a power head, there are plenty of nano options on the market most popular ones are Hydor Koralias. An open tank is not a problem, I have a 4 gallon all in 1 with an open top and I top off about 8 ounces of water everyday. There are plenty of easy to grow and beautiful beginner friendly corals ie mushrooms,zoas,xenias,neptheas, just to name a few. My biggest concern for you is as you mentioned youve always done your water changes with tap water for your current tank. WHere are you going to be getting your saltwater from? If you have a lfs that sells premixed water thats good but i would advice not using tap for mixing ur own water.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the responses. As far as water changes go, that'll be part of the research. With a ten gallon tank (minus the space the back filter takes up) purchasing water for water changes and topping off shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for the recommendation on the powerhead.

Tim

• Like 1
FlytheWMark

I came from a basic salt water tank (40 gallons) into the nano's because I just wanted something different and loved the look of corals.  The nano tanks and the technology that comes with them wasn't readily available several years ago so nano's are becoming very popular.  That being said, they DO take a lot more work and you WILL drop a lot more $$$ in it IF once you get into the hobby you like it.  The tank you have should be fine.  Don't know a lot about that light but you should be able to do at least softies and LPS.  Skimmer isn't necessary (but it will make your self described laziness somewhat more forgiving with your tank).  You can add that later as you learn.  Get a powerhead, they help in a number of ways.  With a 10 gallon if you have a decent LFS just buy your water from them for your water changes and top off.

Since you're new and I'm sure reading around know that this forum is WONDERFUL.  Ask questions, be willing to hear the truth from guys and gals who have forgotten more about this hobby than I know (like @clown79).  It's a fun hobby, frustrating at times but having a small coral reef (or two) in your home, to me, is very rewarding.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Mark L. said:

I came from a basic salt water tank (40 gallons) into the nano's because I just wanted something different and loved the look of corals.  The nano tanks and the technology that comes with them wasn't readily available several years ago so nano's are becoming very popular.  That being said, they DO take a lot more work and you WILL drop a lot more $$$ in it IF once you get into the hobby you like it.  The tank you have should be fine.  Don't know a lot about that light but you should be able to do at least softies and LPS.  Skimmer isn't necessary (but it will make your self described laziness somewhat more forgiving with your tank).  You can add that later as you learn.  Get a powerhead, they help in a number of ways.  With a 10 gallon if you have a decent LFS just buy your water from them for your water changes and top off.

Since you're new and I'm sure reading around know that this forum is WONDERFUL.  Ask questions, be willing to hear the truth from guys and gals who have forgotten more about this hobby than I know (like @clown79).  It's a fun hobby, frustrating at times but having a small coral reef (or two) in your home, to me, is very rewarding.

Bang on! It can be frustrating but so rewarding at the same time.

The only piece of extra equipment I would recommend off the bat would be an Auto Top Off (ATO) pump and reservoir, especially if you tend to get lazy and don't think you want to commit to at least daily top offs. 

• Like 1
FlytheWMark
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

The only piece of extra equipment I would recommend off the bat would be an Auto Top Off (ATO) pump and reservoir, especially if you tend to get lazy and don't think you want to commit to at least daily top offs. 

ATO changed my life 😉 But you don't have to have this on day one... but you'll get one eventually 🙂 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mark L. said:

ATO changed my life 😉 But you don't have to have this on day one... but you'll get one eventually 🙂 

Might as well save yourself some headache and start off with it IMO!

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the replies.

I stopped at the LFS on the way home and picked up:

Life Rock (7.5 pounds)

8.8 Gallons of water

Hydrometer

Eheim 50W heater

Seed

A few clown fish

Some frags....

Cool green, red, and blue mandarin something,

Etc.

Just kidding about everything after "Seed"

Tank is set up and I'm beginning the cycling process. I'll be reading a whole lot over the new few weeks before actually adding anything alive to the tank.

52 Weeks of reefing  by Bulk Reef Supply was recommended. Any other additional sources beyond this forum are appreciated.

5 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Might as well save yourself some headache and start off with it IMO!

I'll likely make the investment as recommended. LFS was out of them when I was there today. I have to go back and pick up some RO water, so I'll check them out then.

Thanks,

Tim

IMG_3505.jpg

• Like 2

I have this tank’s little brother - the 4.14. I’d definitely recommend invest in an auto tip off asap. Most of your beginner problems will be resolved by having this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I have this tank’s little brother - the 4.14. I’d definitely recommend invest in an auto tip off asap. Most of your beginner problems will be resolved by having this. 

Are you running any type of protein skimmer? Does anyone make one small enough to fit into one of the back compartments? Did you put some type of cover on yours or did you leave it open?

Thanks,

Tim

I’m not running a skimmer. I can’t see how a skimmer would be easier than just doing water changes. However, a ReefGlass would likely fit. 

I dont gave a cover cover for mine, but a BRS it RedSea cover could work. 

2 hours ago, ForteTu said:

Are you running any type of protein skimmer? Does anyone make one small enough to fit into one of the back compartments? Did you put some type of cover on yours or did you leave it open?

Thanks,

Tim

I don't run a skimmer on any nano's, my experience, I don't need one, I have had issues keeping nutrients in the tank without one.

I manually top up and have for 4 yrs. I do have hamster bottle style ato for if I go away for a few days.

I made lids with window frame and 1/4" mesh. Very easy diy and cheap.

Reading TOTM's, journals, sticky threads, and asking lots of questions are very helpful.