Cultivated Reef

Measuring salinity, do you prefere specific gravity or PPT or PSU ?

NSReefer902

NSReefer902

Hey guys, I recently grabbed a Hanna checker for salinity. It’s really convient, but switching between PPT and Specific gravity isn’t. I always see people referring to the specific gravity in reference to the salinity of their tank. And am just curious if there is a reason for one over the other. IMO PPT would be the most accurate of the two would it not? Just wondering which is better or if they are the same and why some people choose one over the other... mostly so I can stop switching back and forth and be confident in my tanks stability.

thanks 🙂

LogicalReefs

SG is what I use to read. I find it to be more accurate when using a refractometer. But we are both using the hanna checker. Just calibrate using the including packets and then test with your new mixed salt or tank water. It automatically adjusts for tempature so you don't have to worry about that. That's what I like about the hanna checker. So SG or PPT for us wouldn't really matter. 

NaturallyKait

When I’m actually checking I use PPT, just because I find it easier to see the 35ppt on the refractometer than 1.026. When I write it down I typically write 1.026. It doesn’t really matter, in the end it’s just two different ways of saying the same thing so go with what you prefer. 

Also, hi from PEI 😊

• Like 1
NSReefer902
20 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

SG is what I use to read. I find it to be more accurate when using a refractometer. But we are both using the hanna checker. Just calibrate using the including packets and then test with your new mixed salt or tank water. It automatically adjusts for tempature so you don't have to worry about that. That's what I like about the hanna checker. So SG or PPT for us wouldn't really matter. 

Thanks! Ya that’s kinda what I thought, I was using PPT but switch to SG mostly because I noticed that’s what everyone else was using appreciate it

NSReefer902
8 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

When I’m actually checking I use PPT, just because I find it easier to see the 35ppt on the refractometer than 1.026. When I write it down I typically write 1.026. It doesn’t really matter, in the end it’s just two different ways of saying the same thing so go with what you prefer. 

Also, hi from PEI 😊

Hey awesome! My wife went to the vet college over there we spent a lot of time in the island! Good to meet someone from the area! Thanks 🙂

NaturallyKait
17 minutes ago, NSReefer902 said:

Hey awesome! My wife went to the vet college over there we spent a lot of time in the island! Good to meet someone from the area! Thanks 🙂

Oh nice! Yeah I actually grew up in NS funny enough. It’s always great to see more Maritime reefers. 

46 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Also, hi from PEI 😊

Me too. I find it easier to see 35ppt which basically equals 1.026

• Like 1