Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nuvo 40 and The Rock

BehindGlass

BehindGlass

So it's getting close to start my 2nd build. Currently I have a 7 gallon Waterbox which is now up and running fully. So while it progresses is time to move on to tank #2 of three... (spoiler alert: there will be a Nuvo 25 warty frogfish tank to come in a little while)

Over the past month I've been slowly acquiring the parts for the 40 Nuvo build. So far I have everything but a magnet cleaner, decent power strip, inkbird temp controller, egg crate, 2nd heater, 2nd PP-4 powerhead and ATO reservoir. Yes, I know the heater in the picture is overkill... but it fits and for 15.00 I couldn't buy a smaller wattage one for that price.

So while dropping the wife off at the airport the other day I decided to stop by some LFS in that city. I browsed around all of them and while walking around one of them there was a large piece of coral rock sitting out dry. I kept looking at it and could envision it going into my 40. Now this by no means is this a small rock,. Dry, it weighs in just under 25 pounds. So this single rock weighs about as much as multiple pieces most of us would normally buy to create an aquascape in a tank this size. It's not lace rock. It's not manufactured rock. It's not ancient coral rock dug up. It's right out of the ocean. 

The rock itself will be a feature within the tank. The bottom has been cut and it sits steady on it's perch. The top is basically flat and gives a HUGE surface area for placing corals upon. Below the rock within the tank will be an open sandbed with a couple of smaller islands within the shaded overhangs of "The Rock".

Should I keep you waiting to see what "The Rock" is and surprise you all once it is up and running fully or should I show you now?

1.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 2
BehindGlass
6 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I really like the sound of this one @BehindGlass! One epic reef rock, it should be a really cool open look! What kinds of coral are you considering keeping?

I'm not dead set just yet. I could go for a primary euphyllia, acan and chalice tank with a few hardy SPS species thrown into the mix. I believe more hardy SPS is needed since the former demand their meaty food a couple times a week and that's going to throw a lot of nutrients into the water column add in a few smaller fish and a anemone and you get a dirty tank, so to speak.

Here is another teaser... this is a Nuvo 25, which has the same footprint as the Nuvo 40. Display area of 23x16 inches. As you can see it fills the tank when it comes to surface area. It's the underside though that makes this unique.... 

6.jpg

• Like 1
BehindGlass

Final picture of it out of the tank. Next time you'll see it, it will be in the tank with sand and water.

But you can see that it has a small column base which it is perfectly balanced upon. 

It's still hard to view it from the pictures, but what I picture when all said and done will be great..... errrrr I hope. 

3.jpg

• Like 1