ReefCleaners.org

double check me on new tank

chansman

I just started an IM Fusion 20 last night. My initial plan was to use live sand and dry rock but I found a local guy getting out of saltwater and bought about 5-8 pounds of live rock. The rock came from his display tank that was up and running full of fish and some corals...it was well established. Do you guys think I should have went with live sand as well? I know it would most likely speed up the cycle even more than just the live rock but if I"m going to change now is the time. thx

• Like 1

As long as you've got decent rock I wouldn't worry about the sand too much. Beneficial bacteria will rapidly populate your sandbed once your biological filter starts to pick up steam.

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Agreed, live sand isn't required if you have a good live rock source. You're all set to use dry sand if you want a sand bed @chansman. 🙂 

Usually it's the opposite scenario for most hobbyists, quality live rock is more scarce these days, while bagged live sand is abundant.

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Agreed, live sand isn't required if you have a good live rock source. You're all set to use dry sand if you want a sand bed @chansman. 🙂 

Usually it's the opposite scenario for most hobbyists, quality live rock is more scarce these days, while bagged live sand is abundant.

thanks guys. i just happened to find a local selling out and going freshwater.

• Like 1

With established liverock, you shouldn't go through a cycle, possibly a small spike.

Liverock that's established is a great option, the life that comes with it is beneficial.

• Like 1