Cultivated Reef

Used live rock concern

little_bluecoral

little_bluecoral

Hello to everyone! I’m a beginner to saltwater tanks and nano reefs. Please excuse if I don’t use the correct terms as I’m still learning much about this beautiful hobby. ☺️I purchased my JNJ Nano Cube DX 12 gl. from my local aquarium. Guy was moving store locations so he gave me a great deal on tank and threw in 3 pieces of used dried live rock. Threw the rocks in distilled water the same day and let them sit overnight. The following morning I noticed little polyps little sponges growing on all the rocks. I’m on day 3 of my cycling and the polyps looking things have multiplied. I’ll show some pictures. Again I’m a beginner, should I be concerned? As I’m hoping to start a healthy nano reef tank. Thanks again!

6DB7FF1B-7771-4678-B828-B6D899E724DD.png

F38D47DB-1BA3-46D9-BCBB-C0502EC3E29D.jpeg

5280B906-5A78-4F60-B898-50EB44A158D5.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

From the first picture, it does look like they may be expelling zooanxthanelle(not quite sure if I spelled that correct), but that’s probably from the distilled water. What kinda lightning do you have on the tank?

• Like 1

:welcome:

Agreed that the polyps look like some kind of Zoanthid or palythoa which may or may not be desirable. Giving that they survived being out of water long enough to be called dry rock, and then being soaked in fresh water, I'm going to lean towards them being rapid growing and invasive. Being a noobie, you may like watching them grow, but you will eventually want something prettier I'm sure. It is difficult, but not impossible to get rid of them once they start taking over.20170415_183731.thumb.jpg.a42cafb65fbc074c4780db4897c6e90d.jpg 

• Like 2
little_bluecoral

Thanks to everyone who replied! As of right now I am using the standard hood lighting that came with the nano cube. To quote the user manual, “integrated daylight illumination system, Nite-Vu nocturnal illumination system, dual fan ventilation, and 3 stage filtration system with surface skimming option”, “24 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp” Hope this helps. As for chambers, I’m keeping ceramic rings only. How easy or tough will it be able to get rid of the Zoa or Paly? Should I consider buying new rock? I’m hoping to have a brighter more variety filled colorful nano reef aquarium. 

On 7/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, little_bluecoral said:

Thanks to everyone who replied! As of right now I am using the standard hood lighting that came with the nano cube. To quote the user manual, “integrated daylight illumination system, Nite-Vu nocturnal illumination system, dual fan ventilation, and 3 stage filtration system with surface skimming option”, “24 Watt Compact Fluorescent Lamp” Hope this helps.As for chambers, I’m keeping ceramic rings only. How easy or tough will it be able to get rid of the Zoa or Paly? Should I consider buying new rock? I’m hoping to have a brighter more variety filled colorful nano reef aquarium. 

You will likely want to upgrade your light eventually if you want to grow anything other than softies and a few LPS.Get rid of the ceramic rings and opt for disposable filter floss that you change at least weekly. If the plays are still just on one rock then take it out and scrape them off using a knife/pick/razor to get under the strong hold into the rock. it is suggested you wear goggles or glasses and gloves to protect yourself from toxins that can be released. You don't need to get rid of the rock, they are not the bad, especially if you catch it early and stay on top of it if one or two more pop up.  Have the palys opened up yet? you may find that you like them.